Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 08-28-2016, 17:53   #1
patjhess
SF Candidate

Keeping prior service rank when enlisting 18x

QP's-

I have scoured the forums via the search button. Nothing particularly references my current situation. Should I even be worried about this?

My recruiter finished my package last monday for 18x with airborne physical (approved) enclosed for grade determination.
It came back two days later, enclosed- it detailed my enlistment must be 1 rank lower than I left the service at due to "no remaining MSO" (military service obligation.)

I found a forum on here stating that I should ask my recruiter politely to go back to his "guy," "That they should be able to waiver my enlistment." I also said I would do my research and found the SF recruiting commands number (via TS) and forwarded that to him as well. He says he has a guy "above" USAREC looking into it, response would take a few days.

Is there more I should do to assist my recruiter? Should I just take the E4 and sign away.
I know the recruiter said there is an issue with signing a contract for 6 years putting me at 10 years by the end of my enlistment, (the concern is on their behalf- i.e. BIG ARMY) so he would need to submit an exception to "retention control point."

He " was having his battalion waivers guy check to see if they still have the authority to give a waiver for E5. but with all of the messages right now USAREC has taken a lot of authority away from prior service process"

Any help would be much appreciated. Again I know my focus is 25 m. Just trying to help my recruiter with red tape.

Thank you for reading and for any advice. Thank you all for your service.

Respectfully,
Pat Hess
patjhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 21:03   #2
Lionshare
Guerrilla

Last edited by Lionshare; 07-20-2020 at 14:26.
Lionshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 21:21   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

You're a prior service Navy E5 complaining about entering the Army as an E4? Do I have this correct?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40   #4
patjhess
SF Candidate

Complaining? Not at all. Just seeking out advice on whether or not it's worth pursuit in the eyes of the guys who have been there. I understand that meanings and emotion can be lost on text. Simply reaching out, seeing if other guys would have even wasted time on it if they were in my shoes enlisting all over again. No disrespect meant or complaining, I'll be the last to part my lips to show disdain. Apologies if I that came off as anything but.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:28   #5
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Why do you think you are equal to an Army NCO, having never served in the Army? I recognize your service as a sailor, however you have not been through Army Basic, and have no idea the differences from your prior service to what you will experience next. You need to learn to become a soldier first then earn your NCO stripes. My advice to you, drop your concern about rank, learn your new job, and then earn your stripes.

You left your rank behind when you left the Navy.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:33   #6
Sohei
Area Commander

I am simply a Grunt so my opinion may not matter to you! But, the question should be, "Is it worth it to me to lose that rank. Would I be willing to enter the Army as an E-1 to achieve what it is that I want." It really doesn't matter what anyone here thinks because at the end of the day, it's you that will be making the sacrifice.

Just some thoughts.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15   #7
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

From having been a former recruiter, and not up to date on current policy, the National Guard is more lenient on prior service keeping their rank. That said, the current climate in the army is one of a draw down. I am surprised you found a recruiter willing to do the stack of paperwork involved in your enlistment.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49   #8
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

1. Fuck yes it's worth it to keep E-5. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You were already a junior NCO in the Navy. In terms of general military experience and troop leading time, that puts you well ahead of the typical 18X possessing zero prior service experience. Every non-prior service X-Ray in your graduating class is going to arrive on a team, as a shake & bake NCO, with less actual military experience than a typical E-3. You'll arrive with considerably more (assuming you graduate from the SFQC). That's of benefit to the Regiment. It's just the way of things.

2. In simple fiscal mercenary terms, E-5 pay is greater than E-4 pay, and the promotion board timeline to E-6 eligibility is shortened by already being an E-5. It's a no-brainer. If all it takes to keep that prior service E-5 is some delayed enlistment time, paperwork, or waivers... you should exhaust that pursuit until someone at the highest level definitively rules it out. Give it a shot. If it's not waiverable, move out and draw fire as an E-4. You'll make back your E-5 very quickly anyway. Like by the time you graduate and arrive at your first ODA.

3. I ETS'ed from Active Duty SF as a SSG. Immediately enlisted into SF Reserve. Made SFC. A few years later, I accessioned back onto AD as an SF E-7. The rules and regulations for SF Accessions are there in black & white... even at USAREC. Like re-enlistment bonuses, the drop-a-grade thing comes and goes with the vagaries of projected SF manning requirements.

My $.02 as a retired SF SGM.

Last edited by Astronomy; 08-30-2016 at 09:21.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:59   #9
patjhess
SF Candidate

Astronomy-

Roger! That's all I needed to hear. I will push forward at the 25m sights. I appreciate all who have contributed to this post. Again- thank you.

Best
Pat Hess
Old 08-29-2016, 13:03   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

If you are successful you will be an E5 when you grad the course....certain NCOES courses are rolled into the later phases of the Q (or were, suspect they still are).
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 17:04   #11
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Astronomy,

Your advice sounds as if he has already passed SFAS and graduated the Q? Statistically, odds are against that.

For a retired SGM, you are pretty optimistic!

Old 08-29-2016, 19:44   #12
patjhess
SF Candidate

"Your advice sounds as if he has already passed SFAS and graduated the Q? Statistically, odds are against that."

Fuel for the fire
Old 08-29-2016, 20:20   #13
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
blue02hd: Your advice sounds as if he has already passed SFAS and graduated the Q? Statistically, odds are against that.
I've always been an optimistic motherfucker. "It may be cold, but at least it's raining..."

I give any man his due for being willing to try. If he's already engaged a recruiter and also earned NCO rank in another service, I'll take him at his word that he's serious about the task at hand. Right now, his bayonet range target is enlisting 18X & possibly retaining that already earned military pay grade. The 25 meter target (SFAS) comes after that.

Do the best you can... at every stage of the endeavor.

Last edited by Astronomy; 08-29-2016 at 20:27.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 19:18   #14
patjhess
SF Candidate

I got E5! - going to enlist on Wednesday morning for my 18x contract. Wish me luck. I'll be needing it. Thanks for all of the input this far.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:31   #15
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Good luck and God speed to you. Congratulations on keeping your E5.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote