Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 01-29-2009, 16:15   #16
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Well, maybe he wanted to be a lamBshade.
Clarice: If you didn't kill him, then who did, sir?

Lecter: Who can say? Best thing for him, really. His therapy was going nowhere.

~ "Silence of the Lambs"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JodyFoster_The-Silence-Of-The-Yams.jpg (37.2 KB, 179 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 16:50   #17
alright4u
Quiet Professional

RE: Lampshade

ROFLMAO.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:11   #18
ODA572
Quiet Professional

Reminds me of of a story ...

I was sitting in the Greater Cincinnati International Airport years ago with my daughter, then 5 years old. I had bought her a set of markers and some paper for the trip to Dallas. As we waited she began to write her name on all her belongings. When that was done she bagan to write her name on each leg, her arms, hands, etc. I was just watching and shaking my head.

A woman next to me had an obvious look of contempt on her face as it was clear she thought I was a poor excuse for a dad who would let his kid write all over herself like that.

Finally this woman had had enough and asked if I going to stop the child.

I said, "No, not at all. I always have her label her body parts when we fly."

That ended the conversation right then and there.

As for tats, not for me. They make no practical or tactical sense.

But there is something about a tramp stamp peeking over a pair of cut-offs ......
ODA572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 13:39   #19
Section-8
Asset

The airport will never be the same....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA572 View Post
I was sitting in the Greater Cincinnati International Airport years ago with my daughter, then 5 years old. I had bought her a set of markers and some paper for the trip to Dallas. As we waited she began to write her name on all her belongings. When that was done she bagan to write her name on each leg, her arms, hands, etc. I was just watching and shaking my head.

A woman next to me had an obvious look of contempt on her face as it was clear she thought I was a poor excuse for a dad who would let his kid write all over herself like that.

But there is something about a tramp stamp peeking over a pair of cut-offs ......
I have never heard that one before, (LMAO)...Traveling through an airport will never be the same now. Every kid i see writing on something or themselves will remind me of this..... (LOL).....
Old 01-30-2009, 15:28   #20
SRGross
Auxiliary

Quote:

LOL I love It, I got my Tat, no wider then 3 fingers, of a German eagle, after approval of my CO., and a lecture, it was something important to me, in memory of my grandfather. It is high on the right arm, short sleeves do not even show it or T-shirt.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:09   #21
Expatriate
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Well, maybe he wanted to be a lampshade.
I heard or read somewhere that at one of the Nazi Death Camps prisoners with body art were singled out for immediate extermination. (I probably ought to scopes that one.)
A particuarly nasty example of this was one female prison guard at Auschwitz (Maybe Birkenau, can't remember off the top of my head), who had her entire room decorated in pieces of furniture made from tatooed skin - theres a picture somewhere out there of a lampshade with clearly indentifiable nipples...

Part of my current history course is the Nazi state - recently looking at concentration camps, hence this particular horror story.

(Off topic I know, but an interesting tangent, if in a macabre way)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14   #22
Richard
Quiet Professional

Tattoos were also frowned upon in my time in Group. A number of the older airborne vets had tattoos left over from their time in the various regiments, but tattoos were seen as indelibly identifiable marks and assignment limiting.

FWIW - tattoos, piercings, and the like are considered to be socially lower class amongst our family - whether anyone else thinks they are or not. Be that as it may, our middle son, who is really attuned to our Scots heritage, had our family shield (Clan Hay) placed on his left bicep. He worried about my reaction and was surprised when I told him why I didn't think it was a great idea (marking, > incidence of latent hep-C, views of others, etc) but that it was his problem, not mine, and he was the one who had to live with it. I was not thrilled that he had done that, but he's over 18 and it could have been worse...it could have been a globe and anchor or the like.

MOO...and not tattooed.

Richard's $.02

PS - as far as the Nazis and tattoo souvenirs - Expat was thinking of Ilse Koch, the commandant's wife at Buchenwald near Weimar (Bitch of Buchenwald) who was convicted in the post-war trials. Even by the accepted standards of those incomprehensible camps, Buchenwald was seen amongst the RFSS and WVHA-Amt D staffs as being OOC and the practice of such souvenirs was not encouraged.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44   #23
Mitch
Quiet Professional

There is no upside to a tattoo - execpt in the mind of the owner. Once you have one - it is done, the second one won't be far behind. Then the third...

The Downside is enormous - just think of all the forms you have had to fill out where you checked the No box for Tattoos – that would be over.

Back in the70s I was a member of a unit that would not take you if you had a tattoo – this unit happened to be the best unit that ever existed (IMHO). Who’s to say that units like that one won’t come back again someday – why would you want to disqualify yourself from such an opportunity.
Old 03-15-2009, 16:13   #24
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
There is no upside to a tattoo - execpt in the mind of the owner. Once you have one - it is done, the second one won't be far behind. Then the third...

The Downside is enormous - just think of all the forms you have had to fill out where you checked the No box for Tattoos – that would be over.

Back in the70s I was a member of a unit that would not take you if you had a tattoo – this unit happened to be the best unit that ever existed (IMHO). Who’s to say that units like that one won’t come back again someday – why would you want to disqualify yourself from such an opportunity.
Mitch is absolutely right..... and as Richard said the older guys from the airborne units had tattoos. After jump school and 17 years old, I went out and got 2 of them. The "In God we trust" with a paratrooper and chute with "Hells Angels" under it. The other arm with "True Love" a rose with Maggies name in it. Well,all I can say is "Stupid is as stupid does". I've regretted it all my life, because when I worked in an office, I had to wear long sleeve shirts in the heat of summer because my boss didn't want the customers to see them..........Don't get one.........

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 18:45   #25
zauber1
Auxiliary

Another quote

To quote Miss Mona in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas "Brands are made for cattle and that ain't what we're sellin' at Miss Mona's."

When I was personnel officer for a local Sheriff's Office, subconsciously I would deselect candidates with ink in favor of those that were ink-less, all other things being equal. My shrink at my department backed me up by stating a professional opinion that body modification indicated a deep seated insecurity in one's body image and therefore an indicator of poor self discipline. He had the same opinion of piercings that were excessive or visible.
Old 03-15-2009, 19:28   #26
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauber1 View Post
My shrink at my department backed me up by stating a professional opinion that body modification indicated a deep seated insecurity in one's body image and therefore an indicator of poor self discipline. He had the same opinion of piercings that were excessive or visible.
I pretty much agree with that idea, but personally, my family always looked at tattooing, piercing, and other forms of body art as something practiced among less advanced societies like those we saw in the monthly National Geographic Magazine while growing up.

In the military, many of the guys I saw get tattoos were doing it while intoxicated and/or on a bet with friends...a sort of group think mentality which usually went something along the lines of "Hey...let's do such and such!"...followed shortly thereafter by a "Oh, man! What were we thinking!"

But such is youth.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 00:06   #27
dirt_diver
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
A particuarly nasty example of this was one female prison guard at Auschwitz (Maybe Birkenau, can't remember off the top of my head), who had her entire room decorated in pieces of furniture made from tatooed skin - theres a picture somewhere out there of a lampshade with clearly indentifiable nipples...

Part of my current history course is the Nazi state - recently looking at concentration camps, hence this particular horror story.

(Off topic I know, but an interesting tangent, if in a macabre way)

Expatriate,

I believe it was Buchenwald. I remember seeing some of those pieces of flesh art on a tour back in '03. The commandant's wife would select prisoners to die so she could have lamp shades with tattoos.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30   #28
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
In the military, many of the guys I saw get tattoos were doing it while intoxicated and/or on a bet with friends...a sort of group think mentality which usually went something along the lines of "Hey...let's do such and such!"...followed shortly thereafter by a "Oh, man! What were we thinking!"But such is youth.
Richard's $.02
Back in my foggy years, tattoo parlors were off limits in Germany, and violating the Off Limits Order was an instant Field Grade Article 15. There was a soldier who (rumored) had a tattoo of a spider etched near his fly. He tried to get out of PT claiming a pulled groin muscle. PSG told him to fall out for Sick Call but reminded him doctor-patient confidentiality did not apply in the Aid Station. said Youth ran the whole 5 miles that warm, humid morning. (ouch) I don't think the hang-over helped.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:22   #29
simple man
Asset

Quote:

I just laughed out loud. Well said.

-- Franklin, Benjamin
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:16   #30
CDG
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
Given the risk of being easily identified, I always wondered if SF/SOF personnel ever got tattoos that displayed their profession while on active duty.
I have met more than a couple AD SEALs that have Tridents on themselves in obvious spots. One on his forearm, one on the back of his neck, one on the leg. Several other AD Team guys that have other SEAL specific insignia on themselves. Always kind of wondered why they would do that...