Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 13:54   #16
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Good plan.
Whether your friend's symptoms are from this drug, another drug, or some as yet undiagnosed pathology...I wish him the best in getting it sorted out.
Thanks, he's motivated. Right now he's got to let his wife drive the bass boat at club tournaments as the threat of vertigo doesn't lend itself to running 70 down the Mississippi.
Old 07-28-2012, 20:01   #17
Navy Flier
BANNED USER

Badger 52,

Be advised that that local VA's across the country are still coming up to speed on what the WRIISC is doing. It is highly probable that your friend's local primary care physician(PCP) may need to contact Josette and the intake team at the New Jersey WRIISC at 800-248-8005 to get educated on what is being done there. The formal assessment will be perfromed in New Jersey once the local VA PCP give the referral to be sent there. That is the procedure so far and the otehr vets have not had any issue so far. VA has been paying the travel expenses of the other vets who have been sent out there.

I tell all the vets who come to me for assistance to not bring up the drug at first....except when they are calling the WRIISC in New Jersey.

If a vet is having a vertigo problem, I direct them to a neurotologist and a neuro-optometrist. As Eagle5US infers, I tell them specifically to talk about thier symptoms and not about any possible cause and let the docs sort it out since there are many other conditions(TBI, Meneire's disease, etc.) that can cause vertigo. It is important they be screen for all of those. It is just my experience that 100% of those who I have directed to these two types of docs who also said they only took mefloquine with no other contributing factors were then diagnosed with central vestibular damage and eye damage.

...in fact one of the first questions I ask anyone who calls me is if they were in the proximity of any bomb blasts. If they were, I tell them to tell that to the docs first. Maybe down the road they can tell them about the drug if they took it. The treatment for TBI is pretty much the same and a lot more recognized. The docs will intake them a lot faster. That is what I am all about anyway...getting these people treated...

My goal is to get the VA fully up to speed. Right now, today, I am quite relieved that all I have to do now is point vets to the New Jersey WRIISC, and the active duty to Balboa, or Bethesda. As the phone calls for help die off, I can then disappear.....which I will gladly do.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:01   #18
Badger52
Area Commander

Trackin' - thanks & will pass it along.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14   #19
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
I provided no such diagnosis, but did say that I would not be surprised if in fact you were asymptomatic carriers as many people who live in endemic areas and do not utilize prophylaxis (it's not really practical) carry a parasite load as a normal function of their system. When we go into areas and eradicate their parasite load, they do in fact then become ill because their bodies are not used to functioning without parasites in their system.

You continue to assert your OPINION as medical fact, which it is not.

If Lariam was so dangerous, it wouldn't have recently been approved for use during pregnancy for malaria prophylaxis.

Now, this is THE LAST word on this subject from you unless you can produce your entomology degree, infectious disease research certificate, or some other document demonstrating your status as a health care provider with the ability to prescribe medications.
Further, I did not say that "out military doesn't think that Coartem is an effective cure for malaria". Being that Novartis still carries the patent on that medication, it is not cost effective to be placed on our formulary when there are other medications that work as well, for cheaper. After the patent runs out and the generics for Coartem flood the market, then it too will cost pennies per dose instead of dollars and the US Military may then look at adding to our formulary.

There may be a time in the future when Mefloquin is also advertised on late night TV for a class action lawsuit. Until then, the US Military will continue to use it and our people will continue to take it as directed.
http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/...ull-mefloquine
Old 05-14-2014, 04:50   #20
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Your article

Is from 2013...a year after the thread was posted....

From your article: "The review is expected to be finished in January."

Which apparently it was, and found that while it may no longer be the best drug (as is often the case as time goes on and I conceded to in my previous postings from 2 years ago), it remains effective and on our formulary. How do I know this you ask? Because we just sent teams out the door with it last month as a third line drug. Four members of which are taking it due to negative reactions with the first and second line drugs.

In the future, for all you "smart guys" out there who are outside of the community and think you have the inside track, stick to your own lane and your own business.

If you aren't a PART of the community, you have no clue what goes on INSIDE the community. It doesn't concern you.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Closed Thread