Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-04-2004, 04:12   #1
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Pack Question

I'm looking at getting a new day pack, I'm cuttently considering these 3 packs The Lightfighter RAID, Eagle AIII, or a Spec Ops THE Pack. Intended purpose will be for general daily crap that I take to and utilize at work items include but not limited to: gloves (cold weather and leather), paperwork (in binders or organizer), magazines (both reading and ammo type), sometimes a laptop, MP3 player, camera, surefire, extra fleece, pens, notebook, flares, tape measure, range finder, GPS, etc. etc.

Right now I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the RAID because of the external MOLLE combatability and the stellar reviews it has gotten over at lightfighter.com.

What are your guys opinions on these 3 different packs?

Also if you could/ would buy one which one would it be?

Thank you for any and all input.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:38   #2
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I have this great pack, about 65-75l. It's designed for the Army, and has all the bits for adding extra pouches, et el (EDIT-MOLLE). Very very comfortable, the Army lads use it for short patrols, but it's a buy your own type deal. NZ DPM Pattern. I can take some pics if you like? Very cheap too ($150 NZ, which is I think about 90US roughly).

I can arrange for my mate to get one from the PX if you do like and want it.

I don't have any experience with the other packs, but thought you might be interested in a cheaper, and probably just as good alternative.

"That block was already messed up."

Last edited by Huey14; 12-04-2004 at 07:40. Reason: Added in proper terms.
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:20   #3
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

I have the Tactical Tailor 3-day pack and love it. Had I not bought it I would have gone with the Eagle AIII. I have no experience with the other two packs.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:38   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RAID is a nice pack and is very handy, as is the Alpha III.

You can get a better price on the A III because the RAID is an exclusive LF item.

I also have the London Bridge 3 Day which is well made but a bit pricey for what you get.

The TT 3 Day is a good pack, especially for the money. The 3 Day Plus is nice as well, but gets pretty expensive for the addition of four external pockets.

Not familiar with THE Pack, looks nice though.

I would avoid the Blackhawk on all accounts. It isn't sufficiently inexpensive to make up for the low quality material and poor construction.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:02   #5
Footmobile
Guerrilla

I have a RAID and it's good to go. It is More expensive than the rest, but you get what you pay for. There is an availibility problem with them from time to time however. So if you don't mind the wait, I'd say go with the RAID.

I have played with the Spec Ops Brand T.H.E. pack and I think it's a good, less expensive alternative to the RAID, and more readliy availible. That would be my second choice.
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:17   #6
eggroll
Guerrilla

If you're considering the RAID, I would like to bring up another contender -
http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_sap.cfm

Thats a Tactical Assault System/Patriot PErformance Small Assault Pack.

They run 150.00 are built better (IMO) than the RAID and offers several advantages.

INCLUDED -
twin 6061 AL stays for structure, External pocket layout ala 3 day packs, internal Map/MPH pocket with PALS weebing, PALS around the Periphery of the pack body, the dimension is slightly shorter than the RAID, but I see that as a plus.

And to boot they ARE available, I use one in grey for my work bag and have another on the way in for a review cross comparison between Kifaru, Eagle, PPM and BHI

Stay tuned.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Spec Ops THE Pack - I have heard 20 complaints for one GTG - something about the shoulder straps.

I have a RAID and it is great. Built like a tank and well thought out. I got mine before the prices went up and they are expensive now.

Look at Kifaru as well. I don't have one, but they have a great rep and I have seen the pics.

Don't forget to get a laptop case for your 'puter. I think TT makes one. I have a BHI one and its ok.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:32   #8
eggroll
Guerrilla

eagle creek makes good computer inserts as well if you dont mind civvie looks

A lof ot the THE comments seem to be centered about the strap design and placement.

Personally I dont care for them because the straps are attached too closely together into the body and I find the straps rubbing my neck.

EGG
Old 12-04-2004, 12:23   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

I use one in grey for my work bag and have another on the way in for a review cross comparison between Kifaru, Eagle, PPM and BHI

Stay tuned.
Excellent!

I look forward to seeing that review.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 13:38   #10
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Egg, I will definatly check out the SAP pack thanks for the tip. By any chance do you know the Cubic Inches of the SAP? I looked around R & S Tactical and didn't see it.

Also I looked at the Kifaru Marauder great looking pack but $270.00 DAMN! Sorry I can't afford that.

I'm looking for a pack that is around the 2000 - 2200 ci capacity.

Thanks again everyone, I very much appericate it.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 14:31   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I have a RAID, BHI 3-day (Eagle knock off bought before I knew better) and a Marauder...well had a Marauder....and I prefer the RAID. It was well designed and is built like a brick shithouse.

I had the oportunity to tour the PPM facility about 2 weeks ago and was able to take a look at the MAP and the SAP along with many other things. They are proud of what they make. If I am not mistaken the SAP is 1800ci.

HTH

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 15:14   #12
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Is the RAID waterproof?
Old 12-04-2004, 16:22   #13
eggroll
Guerrilla

ummm are you asking will stuff get wet inside if you take a SPILL into some body of water, then YES. If you want to ensure water PROOF ness, then you should look at getting a drybag to insert whatever pack you decide on.

The SAP weighs in at about 1800CI for the pack alone, I also have a couple of the modular side pockets that add about another 450 CIS thereabout. It is an excellent knockaround pack IMO.

Yes HAD a Marauder but I think whatsa comingwill be good too

EGG
Old 12-04-2004, 16:58   #14
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll
ummm are you asking will stuff get wet inside if you take a SPILL into some body of water, then YES.
Thank you that's what I meant.
Old 12-04-2004, 22:40   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

I own both a TT 3-day and an SOB THE pack, and would recommend either without any reservation. I've read several posts by guys over at LF.com complaining about the SOB shoulder straps, but I've had no problems with them ('course I'm not quite Eggroll big). I like the multiple pocket design integral to the SOB pack (two zippered outside, one mesh zippered inside), but the simplicity of the TT combined with the PALS gives you plenty of options. If you want PALS, the SOB and RAID are about equal in the amount available. The shoulder straps on the TT are much more thickly padded than many assault packs out there, which can be nice if you're hauling around more weight all day. I don't have an Eagle A-III, but have fingered one or two and they're very well built, but lack any PALS if you're wanting modularity. The RAID is also an excellent pack, but as has been said availability can be spotty, and its the most expensive of all you've listed.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote