Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-06-2004, 19:12   #46
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Having coming to appreciate the ability of those who frequent this board, I'm prepared to give a brotha the benefit of the doubt.

Good job, Sigi.
Old 06-06-2004, 19:40   #47
Polar Bear
Auxiliary

Sigi,
Columbia Double Whammy Parka, 3 Season Jacket
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 20:09   #48
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Is this plural or not?
Freu....Frued......oops, I meant something else. LOL.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:44   #49
Razor
Quiet Professional

NDD, if you don't have some already, I'd also recommend the SPEAR Layer 1 silkweights (or comparable civilian styles, such as those sold by Cabela's). They weight next to nothing, but do a great job of warding off the chill in cool weather. They're also very easy to use when layering clothing, and wick sweat really well.
Razor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 18:01   #50
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

North Face

If you come to Afghanistan, they opened up a North Face shop, and you can get a waterproof, jacket, with hood, and zip in fleece liner for 65 bucks. I got one last year and it kicks ass. Plus I look really good in it too
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:17   #51
logos
Asset

I have been working with the local SF boys to find lighter gear for thier third deployment to Afginistan. They resently purchesed our entire stock of Marmot Precip jackets (or all those in L, XL and XXL). These jackets offer slightly better breathability than Gore classic, mil-spec waterproofness, pack about softball size and come in at 13 oz. Cost is less than a hundred bucks US, and will last about three years of daily without any washing. If you do wreck one you can usually get a free replacement or upgrade.

On layering the current state of the art is a softshell (ie a windproof, water reistent and highly beathable strech garment) instead of fleace. It's much more versitile and durable than fleece, so you can wear your stiff, noisy and sweatty rain coat less often. Power Shield and Schoeller are the gold standered in softshell fabrics.

Hope this helps. Please ignore the spelling.
logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:53   #52
Jimbo
Guerrilla

That's two votes for a soft shell.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 14:08   #53
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by logos
I have been working with the local SF boys to find lighter gear for thier third deployment to Afginistan. They resently purchesed our entire stock of Marmot Precip jackets (or all those in L, XL and XXL). These jackets offer slightly better breathability than Gore classic, mil-spec waterproofness, pack about softball size and come in at 13 oz. Cost is less than a hundred bucks US, and will last about three years of daily without any washing. If you do wreck one you can usually get a free replacement or upgrade.

On layering the current state of the art is a softshell (ie a windproof, water reistent and highly beathable strech garment) instead of fleace. It's much more versitile and durable than fleece, so you can wear your stiff, noisy and sweatty rain coat less often. Power Shield and Schoeller are the gold standered in softshell fabrics.

Hope this helps. Please ignore the spelling.
No link, no pics, who are you! LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:46   #54
logos
Asset

www.marmot.com click on products>clothing>precip
I work in a gear shop in a NATO nation, however as my goverment seecurity clearence proceadure is ongoing and the gentelmen I sell to are extreamly reluctent to identifiy themselves or their unit I'll leave out the details.

I come to these forums to fill out my reaserch into aysemetrical conflict. (just like the name implies) My accademic goal is to create political and defence theory and policy that refect the capabilities of all unconventional actors. Any information I can gain about how SF (and much less studied, former SF defence contactors) can/do/have shape(d) the conflict spectrum will help me toword goal.

As far as the jacket post goes, it's a product I like and one that some very serious operators have purchased. Take it or leave it.

Thanks for your interest.
logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:03   #55
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I can certify that Marmot gloves, for one, are amazing in both construction and durability for Alpine work. I've had mine for almost three years now, and they are only just showing fray in the thumb stitch. If this applies to their jackets or not, I do not know.

HTH,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:39   #56
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

My pick for NDD’s waterproof jacket. (It comes with Clint Eastwood’s entire spaghetti Western Movie collection.)

http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?TID...de=0&VendorID=
Old 06-11-2004, 08:59   #57
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

I was thinking that since NDD has been so "British" lately by treating former SAS chaps and wearing SAS raingear... he ought to go ahead and be true to his colors and get a Barbour Beaufort rain jacket. You can get different weight zip-in liners (fleece,etc) and its completely waterproof. The Border style Jacket verses the Beaufort is slightly longer for better coverage of the waist/thighs.

I have one BTW and can attest to quailty and craftsmanship.. would be very nice to have now that your an "Executive Gunfighter", NDD!! LOL
http://www.dunns.com/pod/1079
Barbour clothing has been keeping the British dry and warm for years. It is an institution in the Empire that carries the seals of Her Majesty the Queen, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, and HRH the Prince of Wales. These traditional coats are the standard by which all other foul-weather gear is measured

Barbour's Slykoil jackets are based on the original Barbour proofing formula which John Barbour called Sylkoil. Soft, flexible, and non-sticky, the oil-proofed natural cotton drapes superbly, bringing an extra workability to the tailoring and cut, and more comfort and style to the wearer. This all-purpose jacket is 33" long in size 42 for all-season wear. It features two front bellows pockets with snap storm flaps and two moleskin-lined handwarmer pockets. There is also a concealed zip-up wallet pocket and a full-width rear game and cartridge pocket with side zips. It is lined full length with cotton tartan. The corduroy collar is studded for an optional hood. Snap-closed throat flap and storm-fly front provide additional protection. Raglan sleeves with underarm ventilation, adjustable storm cuffs, and brass-finish two-way metal zipper. Specially treated 100% cotton shell. Color: olive. Cold sponge, no soap. England.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barbour.jpg (29.7 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 06-11-2004 at 12:35.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:30   #58
ghuinness

Amazing - two votes for Barbour Beaufort.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52   #59
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

He knows he REALLY wants one....

I didn't see your original post... did you try to make him a yuppy too? haha

He's still trying to hang on Ghuinness... he just won't admit he is an pretty boy security executive type now. He probably wears one all the time when he is not around anyone that knew him back in the day. LOL
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 14:18   #60
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
My pick for NDD’s waterproof jacket. (It comes with Clint Eastwood’s entire spaghetti Western Movie collection.)

http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?TID...de=0&VendorID=
I actually already have one of those. LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote