Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-26-2004, 00:29   #1
The Profit

Question 18 D Information

An introduction,

Hello, I am a 30 yr. old male attending college to obtain my degree in Nursing (RN).

I first decided to join the Army and persue a career as an officer, I have always wanted to be part of the SOF in my youth an my interests has returned to satisfy a desire and not be regreted with my "What if's"

I am simply placing this Thread in hopes to gather information from those who have and give to one who seeks.

My Thread reads 18D Info. And that is where my interset lies. I want to become a Medical Sargent in the SF.

To not mis-guide anyone I am not in the ARMY and will not be for some time.(1yr. & 9 mon.) I currently have braces (@30) and cannot en-list till my Ortodontist gives me and a recruiter the OK.

I will then en-list at the age of 32. I will be older and may lack the edge a an 18 yr. old but, I will have the knowledge and mentality given my age.

This is only information to better provide you some history.

My main intent is to gather information and life experiences through you the BTDT's.

I know my endeavour to become a part of this Force is a long and hard one and I have always been one to think that the next man bleeds as I do and breaths the same air. Many have succeeded as well as failed. I am just steeping to the plate.

Well, This has gone everywhere. But, my Thread title remains the same. All info and convesation welcomed.

The Profit
Old 02-26-2004, 07:01   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I recently turned 32 and will be leaving for Ft Benning shortly to begin training on the path to becoming an 18-Delta. I have spent the past 14 years as a firefighter/paramedic and not unlike yourself decided I did not want to look back and wonder, "what if." I enlisted in the National Guard as they offered me an option similar to the 18X program, which is not an option to individuals without prior service who are over the age of 30. I also did not wish to lose the 14 years of state FF retirement I have accumulated.

I would hardly say that you, "lack the edge of an 18 your old" because of your age. Your age will bring some maturity, hopefully, that the younger generation lacks. This is not to point out the 18-21 year olds enlisting under the 18X contract as immature, but more so less mature than I would hope you are. Yes, you will probably have more aches and pains along the way and will look back and wonder why you gave up a promising future and civilian career to be humping around in the woods and there will be many times when you will just want to give up and go home but your maturity and drive should bring you past this. You must look at it as this may very well be the only shot you may have at becoming a SF medical Sergeant and you are not letting aches, pains, and discomfort stand between you and your goal. The younger guys have the luxury of rationalizing their quitting sometimes that they can come back to SFAS at a later date because they are still young. While there are those individuals who have made it through SFAS and then SFQC in their mid-late 40's I do not want to be trying it. I am preparing my mind and my body for what is ahead and will continue to push forward until I acheive my goal. I say all that because you should not let your age stand in your way, unless of course you wait until its too late to enlist.

Since you are not eligible for the 18X enlistment option you really only have two choices in this, that I see. You can either enlist active duty Army in an MOS of your choosing, report to scheduled BCT and AIT then once with your unit you can put in your packet to go to SFAS or you can enlist into one of the NG SF units and start the training pipeline for 18-D with the Guard. You must weigh both option and decide what is best for you and what you wish to do. It is going to be a long arduous road but if you stay the course it will be well worth it.

Is there specific 18-Delta information you are seeking or rather more generic information? Being more specific about the information you are seeking will help the BTDT's here who know provide you with the information you seek, or alteast pointyou in the right direction.

I wish you the best in your endeavor.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-26-2004 at 07:04.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 21:41   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Re: 18 D Information

Quote:
Originally posted by The Profit
An introduction,

Hello, I am a 30 yr. old male attending college to obtain my degree in Nursing (RN).

I first decided to join the Army and persue a career as an officer, I have always wanted to be part of the SOF in my youth an my interests has returned to satisfy a desire and not be regreted with my "What if's"

I am simply placing this Thread in hopes to gather information from those who have and give to one who seeks.

My Thread reads 18D Info. And that is where my interset lies. I want to become a Medical Sargent in the SF.

To not mis-guide anyone I am not in the ARMY and will not be for some time.(1yr. & 9 mon.) I currently have braces (@30) and cannot en-list till my Ortodontist gives me and a recruiter the OK.

I will then en-list at the age of 32. I will be older and may lack the edge a an 18 yr. old but, I will have the knowledge and mentality given my age.

This is only information to better provide you some history.

My main intent is to gather information and life experiences through you the BTDT's.

I know my endeavour to become a part of this Force is a long and hard one and I have always been one to think that the next man bleeds as I do and breaths the same air. Many have succeeded as well as failed. I am just steeping to the plate.

Well, This has gone everywhere. But, my Thread title remains the same. All info and convesation welcomed.

The Profit
Hello, I am the 3,000 year-old Wrath of Mars, Roman God of War. I was an 18 Delta, so I welcome you in your pursuit of knowledge reference the most noble of Special Forces specialties. However, you have failed to heed the Team Sergeant's instructions in regards to your profile. Rectify poste haste and forth with or we will be forced to sacrifice you to Teutates in the accepted manner of being plunged headfirst into a vat filled with an unspecified liquid. And no, the legend is not correct, the liquid is not ale.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 21:48   #4
The Profit

Lightbulb

Surgicalcric,

Thank You, I provided much an introduction rather a specific question(s). You were right on the money with your response and I greatly appriciate the feed back. I do not look at leaving behind a career as a civilian nor a career as an officer. Much rather at becoming a master of myself. It takes much personal challenge to successfully complete this type of venture and the only thing getting you through it is your ability to be mentaly tough. That in it's self is a greater reward than any. Knowing your weakness and over-coming them. Not to mention to be a part of somthing not by walking into it but by whole heartedly earning it. These are the things that attract me to becoming a part of Special Forces. I have looked into other area (Rangers, etc...) and still drawn back to SF. Here I can seek furthering my education as well as maintaining a level of readiness few others have. Here I feel I can truely "Be All I Can Be". I am not really worried of my age, as I am healthy, and pretty well phycically fit.
I well further seek this endeavour till I succeed. I Thank You for your response and look forward to others. I wish you luck as you set your course and pray you get to your goal. Who knows maybe our paths will cross in the future. For now you are right I will ask more specific question for everyone, and the BTDT's for guidance.

Once again Good Luck and GOD Speed.

The Profit
Old 02-26-2004, 22:35   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Thank you.

Enjoy your stay at PS.com
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:24   #6
The Profit

Exclamation

Question?

Has any current or previous 18D advanced from SF to Commissioned officer and furthered there education for advanced degrees. (PA, PHd, etc..)
Old 03-03-2004, 06:50   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Only a few hundred, right Eagle?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:16   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Question?

Has any current or previous 18D advanced from SF to Commissioned officer and furthered there education for advanced degrees. (PA, PHd, etc..)
Yes. We try to discourage that type of unacceptable behavior, but they still seem to do it and very well.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:41   #9
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Yes. We try to discourage that type of unacceptable behavior, but they still seem to do it and very well.
This type of behavior should only be attempted after copious amount of downing A-Team time...and NO, that's not an alcoholic drink.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:56   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy
This type of behavior should only be attempted after copious amount of downing A-Team time...and NO, that's not an alcoholic drink.
It is, however, addictive.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:39   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Only a few hundred, right Eagle?

TR
Concurr

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:52   #12
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Question?

There used to be MANY more...close to an exodus of SF medics going PA. This caused many problems within the Special Operations medical community at the team level. Obviously, SF medics make outstanding PA's...already used to working independantly, have a tremendous knowledge base, have showed some responsibility already, and aren't afraid to study what they know is important.
I was with 2-22 Infantry, 10th MTN, not too long ago...there were 19 PA's in our clinic...13 of us were long tabbers (former 18D's)
There have been a number of constraints placed in the 18D's making it much more difficult for them to get accepted into PA school...
Since the Interservice PA program is now a commissioning program, and they are looking for longevity in the branch...they are primarily accepting people with 8 years or less of service. 8 yrs in, + 2 yrs PA school, hold your commission 10 yrs to retire with it = 20 yrs. Not many experienced 18D's fit that timeline.
Add to that, the Special operations Community limits the number of 18D's that can be accepted each year...them being understrengthed already and the training cycle being LONGER than the board process for the 3 PA classes each year.

The current PA program is a good deal...NOW they graduate as 1LT's and are awarded their Master's right out of school. Associate's to go in, Master's to graduate...skip bachelors altogether! Add to that, there is only a 4 year payback requirement now and they are accepting commissioned officers into the program.
I graduated a 2LT, got my Masters on my own and had a 5 year payback...stuff changes, sometimes you are on the good end, sometimes not...but right now, it is a REALLY GOOD DEAL.

I currently work in a Special Operations PA slot outside of the mainline SF community, have applied for an Emergency Medicine Residency and Internship program, and will then be going back to an SFG(A)

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote