Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 01-26-2015, 12:59   #1
Gunther88
Asset

Criminal History as a reason for being boarded and/or dropped from the Q-Course

Greetings Quiet Professionals,

While researching on this forum I have come across several threads listing criminal history as one of the many reasons for candidates to be boarded or even dropped completely from the Q-Course. I recently enlisted with an 18x contract, which was extremely difficult for me to acquire because I have multiple misdemeanors and citations from high school and college (MIP's, Intoxicated and Disorderly, Simple Assault, Speeding Tickets, No Arrests). These past transgressions made it impossible for me to join the armed forces for the 3+ years following my graduation from college. I have made numerous positive changes in my life, kept my nose clean, and have relentlessly pursued my dream of joining the armed forces and my efforts have finally paid off. My question is for The Reaper or any other Quiet Professionals who have been involved in the instructor side of SFAS. Is it likely that despite convincing the Army to give me a second chance with an 18x contract and acquiring an interim Secret Security Clearance, that I may be boarded and/or dropped from the Q-Course for past transgressions not related to my performance in SFAS? Will the Cadre take into account my positive changes and years of being a law-abiding citizen since these transgressions occured? If I am a top performer in my SFAS class will it help me to overcome some of these issues?

I am not looking for a free pass for what I have done in the past. I have paid heavily for my mistakes and I am just looking for an opportunity to prove myself moving forward. Any insights or advice that the Professionals on this site could give me would be greatly appreciated. I want to go into this knowing what I will be up against with my specific background. Thanks as always for all the great information you guys provide.

Regards,
Gunther
Gunther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 16:11   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

You have the ride (18X contract) on the train to attempt to earn the Green Beret. You need to concentrate on the next step, not the 23rd hurdle down the way. Be the best soldier that you can be and cross the bridges that are right in front of you.

Don't be distracted about crap you cannot influence. Focus man, focus.

Good luck and don't quit.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01   #3
CT Shooter
Asset

I have a similar situation, nothing bad, just breach of peace and creating a public disturbance, all non violent. I haven't even thought of it being an issue until reading this. All I can say is I plan to fight to earn my spot, if this ends up prohibiting me somehow down the line it will crush me but I keep thinking of the story of ST6 member SOC Adam Brown, he was a mess prior to joining the navy but he never gave up, and ended up rising to the top of the NSW community. His story is incredible and will inspire you.

Good luck brother.
CT Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 17:41   #4
koz
Quiet Professional

If the Cadre don't ask about your past, don't volunteer anything. I never had a Q-course cadre member ever ask about my past.

Plenty of guys have had bad pasts - my team sgt had the option, enlist of go to jail. Ended up at a SMU. A Q-course classmate had lots of drugs, arrests, etc.. in his past. Ended up at 3rd.
A close acquaintance had a rather problem filled past. Ended up a Squadron SGM at a SMU. These are just ones I have personal experience with.

All had TSSCI clearances. All did good things in the Army. If the security clearance people ask the questions, don't lie.

Like Joker said, focus on what you can influence, and don't sweat the other stuff.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 19:54   #5
Mike
Quiet Professional

If there is an issue, they will find it when they do your security check.

When I finished SFTG in 1967, my clearance got flagged while they checked up on an issue involving some machine guns I got caught with in college.

I was never arrested or charged, but I had to give up a Thompson and a mint C 96Broomhandle rig. The stock was verboten then.

Anyways the situation had bobbed up some wheres and I had some 'splainin' to do.
I got held over a couple weeks over this.

If they find out you have lied about anything or omitted anything, you are fucked.
They will be looking.
Old 02-19-2015, 21:25   #6
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Mike! Just taking a wild guess, you got selected for Bravo.