Old 08-28-2006, 11:26   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

BA 1574/U

Anybody got a source?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:33   #2
mugwump
Area Commander

Maybe this'll do it for you, a guy I dived with carried a SDU in a can for a while and used this adapter.
This battery adapter allows the use of two common CR123 photo batteries to power the SDU-5/E Distress Marker Strobe Light. It replaces the now obsolete BA-1574/U Mercury battery. The CR123 photo batteries have equal or better shelf life and much better life in sub freezing conditions when compared to the original Mercury battery. There was a battery called the 4RM1B that this adapter also replaces.
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/5BA.shtml

mugwump
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 13:10   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump
Maybe this'll do it for you, a guy I dived with carried a SDU in a can for a while and used this adapter.
This battery adapter allows the use of two common CR123 photo batteries to power the SDU-5/E Distress Marker Strobe Light. It replaces the now obsolete BA-1574/U Mercury battery. The CR123 photo batteries have equal or better shelf life and much better life in sub freezing conditions when compared to the original Mercury battery. There was a battery called the 4RM1B that this adapter also replaces.

mugwump
I have one of the 2x CR123 adapters and it works great, IMHO. Makes finding batteries a lot easier as well as fitting in with my common power supply desires.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 14:58   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I was looking at that. That's for the recommendation. I believe that's what I'll do.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-28-2006, 19:00   #5
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

I ordered one last night. There is also an alkaline (?) battery available but they cost $35 each. The 123 adpater seems to be the way to go.

The BA-1574/U is a mercury battery thus it has been discontinued.

The cost was $15 via PayPay. If it woks out I'll get another one for my other strobe.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 19:39   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Will the Surefire 123A batteries work in this?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-28-2006, 19:49   #7
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Doc,
A bit outta my lane here, as I don't have one of these, but I spoke to TR about this very thing a while back, and my impression was yes, Surefire Batts will work in this strobe with the adaptor.

Also, the MS2000 is available and uses (2)AAs, but the strobe tends to be a bit pricey.

My .02

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 21:19   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
That is what has been in mine for a couple of years and as of last week, it still worked.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 17:39   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Thanks Boss and mug - I've got two on the way.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-29-2006, 19:37   #10
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Using the adaptor with the old strobe is looking more and more like the best option out there.

While the new strobe uses AA batts, ive had 2 that the batteries corroded in a very short time, as in a couple weeks, and the corrosion ate the plastic and destroyed the strobe.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30   #11
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

My SDU-5/E battery adapter arrived in yesterday's mail. I had ordered it Sunday night, paying via PayPal so this was quick service.

I loaded two 123 Lithium batteries in it and screwed on the adapter. Bingo! The strobe started working right away.

These are made by Brooke Clarke N6GCE. The machining is first rate.

I ordered another one for my second strobe.

Check out Brooke's site for other power adapters for military gear.

www.prc68.com
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 18:31   #12
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Ran across this...haven't tried it yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSLb...ature=youtu.be

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:14   #13
zeker
Asset

Update as at Dec 21, 2013 for anyone interested ... they do work very well .. I've ordered a second one as it seems they are getting low on stock.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SDU-5-E-BA-15...-/330897687125

Last edited by zeker; 12-21-2013 at 01:17.
zeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
mr zeker

Do us a favor and post your introduction. This is a one time request. Failure to abide with forum rules is not tolerated.

Then find and read "A Message to Garcia".

If you did post an intro at some time in the past, do it again.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote