Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 10-02-2014, 17:57   #1
Trappertod
Asset

Diet / Food reccomendations

I have found myself extremely overweight and out of shape and I am so mad with myself and embarrassed. Here I am a veteran and I should know better, but through a few injuries I now find myself here. I am working at a gym with a special forces retiree. He pushes and works me harder than any drill sgt. I ever had. I appreciate that as well. Here is my question though, I have been following an eating guideline similar to the atkins diet. I have completely cutoff the poisonous sodas and drink water for the most part, but I am a meat and potatoes types of country boy and I find myself starving from time to time. I have read many threads about removing poisons and foods to stay away from. Is there a general eating plan that anyone knows of that will help to lose the weight but not walk around knawing my fingers off.
Trappertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06   #2
PhyrricVictory
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappertod View Post
I have found myself extremely overweight and out of shape and I am so mad with myself and embarrassed. Here I am a veteran and I should know better, but through a few injuries I now find myself here. I am working at a gym with a special forces retiree. He pushes and works me harder than any drill sgt. I ever had. I appreciate that as well. Here is my question though, I have been following an eating guideline similar to the atkins diet. I have completely cutoff the poisonous sodas and drink water for the most part, but I am a meat and potatoes types of country boy and I find myself starving from time to time. I have read many threads about removing poisons and foods to stay away from. Is there a general eating plan that anyone knows of that will help to lose the weight but not walk around knawing my fingers off.
I've recently switched my diet up in an attempt to eat healthier. I'm following the Dolce Diet Principals. http://thedolcediet.com/
He has a podcast as well as website. Most known for his work with UFC fighters. I've been on it 2 weeks and have lost 7lbs, and cut down on my coffee needed to make it through the work day.
PhyrricVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:27   #3
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Some thoughts.

1. No alcohol whatsoever.

2. Limit meat intake to small portions (6 0z. or less). Lean cuts of lamb. No beef.

3. Water only.

4. Eat sprouted grain cereals. Follow the biblical diet.

5. No sugar or processed foods. None.

6. Burn more calories than you consume.

7. You should be hungry. Drink more water

The weight will fall off you.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34   #4
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

The Paleo diet is the new thing I'm starting to see some people adopt. They have had great success with it while of course incorporating some kind of fitness routine with it. You should definitely look into it. While it is similar to the Atkins diet there are also differences between them.

This link sums up the diet pretty well.
http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

Here is a good link describing some of the differences between the Atkins.
http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/11-17/...r-than-atkins/

I'm no nutritionist but I know when I was trying to lose weight in High School, I followed what I believe to be the most simple and basic principle that worked for me that twisted squid mentioned.

"6. Burn more calories than you consume."

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:42   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsquid View Post
Some thoughts.

1. No alcohol whatsoever. (Whoa!!!!! )

2. Limit meat intake to small portions (6 0z. or less). Lean cuts of lamb. No beef.

Chicken, pork, fish and lean beef is fine.

3. Water only. (good luck with that.)

(I have a culinary degree and have no idea what you're talking about here....)

5. No sugar or processed foods. None. (I agree)

And some of my thoughts (in green)
Old 10-03-2014, 14:10   #6
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And some of my thoughts (in green)
Great thoughts.

1. Alcohol is a metabolic inhibitor and the second most dense caloric food per gram. Fat is higher but many have nutritional benefits.

2. I recommend lamb as the only red meat primarily because of saturated fat and cholesterol levels. This follow the Mediterranean diet principle. It's also, IMO, more satisfying from a flavor profile so I consume less.

3. The Biblical Diet promotes the consumption of sprouted grains. Ezekiel 4:9 cereal (from the biblical verse) is a nutritional powerhouse which I consume daily. I highly recommend it. There are variations on this diet but most include substantial servings of sprouted wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and spelt.

4. For hydration, I drink water or electrolyte/isotonic drinks only. I have coffee and some tea time to time. I stopped drinking alcohol 6 months ago and lost 12 pounds the first month. It's not easy, but the results are amazing. Abu Jack shared a similar experience with me.

I would ad that decreasing the amount of dairy product has been key for me. I have a little cheese but have eliminated all other dairy from my diet. I use organic unsweetened soymilk instead. And as a sweetener, a little agave syrup.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:13   #7
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsquid View Post
Some thoughts.

1. No alcohol whatsoever.

3. Water only.

5. No sugar or processed foods. None.

If you're a male don't do this. I don't care what you said in your next post. Your body needs sugars and fats. I'm not going into it here. But this, like Akins and all those crazy diets are full of crap. like most extreme diets people last about 20 to 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
The Paleo diet is the new thing I'm starting to see some people adopt. They have had great success with it while of course incorporating some kind of fitness routine with it. You should definitely look into it. While it is similar to the Atkins diet there are also differences between them.

This link sums up the diet pretty well.
http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

Here is a good link describing some of the differences between the Atkins.
http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/11-17/...r-than-atkins/

I'm no nutritionist but I know when I was trying to lose weight in High School, I followed what I believe to be the most simple and basic principle that worked for me that twisted squid mentioned.

"6. Burn more calories than you consume."
I'm one that likes the PALEO Caveman diet.

This fits your meat and potatoes types of country boy lifestyle!! EAT MEATS ALL MEATS!!!

This is my .02:

If you partake in alcohol and sprits. I say drop the BEER. Especially if it is a dark beer. For me yuengling does something to me in retaining water, yeah I know I sound like a women now. Piss off y'all It's football season and dropping alcohol and sprits is just crazy. Research what you like to drink, look at the calories that liquor carries in it.

Why I like the paleo "diet,' because it's not a deit it is eating like cavemen did. They had no processed foods. So when you shop at the grocery store think about this shopping technique. Stay to the "edges" of the store. Your veggies, meats, daily are all on the edges of the store. No canned veggies, go for fresh or frozen. If you use sugar in your tea, coffee, ETC try honey and I use maple syrup for my "sugar." This when you are shopping, how fast will this go "BAD" and I have to throw it out?? Cut back, if not remove all grain; breads, cereals, pits breads, tortilla, etc. This falls back into the processed foods. But sometime you just have to. If you MUST have bread with your meat and potatoes, Google almond flour. Better for you, you can make pancakes, bread, and pasta out of it. Whole lot about paleo, but you can have processed foods, but if you are a hard core, then you try to go no processed foods. Think what you can hunt or grow only.

If you have to snack at work, think veggies. Celery is said to be negative calories, meaning you burn calories eating it and it takes more for your body to break it down. I'm not a believer, but if it makes people eat more of it better for them.

One water, yes drink it. But not the only thing, to much water in your body hurts you. But do add a ton of ICE!!! The colder it is the better. It will make your CORE cold and make your body produce heat. Everything you drink, get it COLD as you can!!

Look on Youtube for body weight workouts. Strength and Conditioning style workout; Crossfit, whatever you want to all this. Also look at doing in the morning before for a TABATA or HIIT style CARDO. Google and YouTube these. ton on there. Down load a Tabata timer APP. There are some great timers out there, even with music. These are short 20 to 30 minutes that get your heart rate and you metabolism going. Then get your shower. You can also get a workout of the day app, which are helpful once you lose weight and get in better shape.

Lastly you likely are not a runner. If you want to run look into a Couch-to-5K App. These are great I've used them with my kids. They get you to run say 60 second, then you rest (walk) for 90 seconds. Then run for 60 Secound and you do this for 20 to 30 minutes. Starts you out slow and builds your endurance up, where by 6 weeks you can run a full 5K run. They make all kinds of running apps. But watch out for the "FREE" ones, you typically get the first 2 weeks free then you end up paying for the rest. I say just buy one, they are 0.99 to 1.99 for a cheap good 6 week program.

Lastly don't set a date to start, just DO IT!!! Best of luck.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 17:32   #8
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

I've had a lot of time to myself over the past 6 months...

I have two "shepherd tacos" at the mom and pop shop down the street for $5 with a tip for lunch every day.
Evenings and nights are spent in the shop with whiskey and water.
I'm getting a lot of projects done...and I've lost about 20 pounds.
10 to go and I'm back to ETS weight.
Probably not a great way to sustain one's body, but, just not that interested in food anymore.

I can't eat what I did 15 years ago, my body turns it to fat.
Getting old sucks.
Old 10-03-2014, 18:19   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Sounds great.

You sign a contract and get to Basic.

Welcome to the DFAC.

No where else to eat.

Now guess how much of that special shit they serve there?

What is your plan then?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:29   #10
kojak1001
Quiet Professional

Put on that ruck!
kojak1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 20:28   #11
Trappertod
Asset

Thanks for all your input here guys, I am going at it and not stopping again. After comparing the caveman eats to what JB has me eating right now it is pretty much the same thing. I am hungry, but with 3-4 liters of water a day and sometime in the gym that hunger has a way of going away.
Trappertod is offline   Reply With Quote