Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 08-07-2006, 17:22   #151
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
Doc Farr was possibly the best instructor I ever had in SF, tough but fair, plus Doc Rocky used to be a 91B(S) NCO, so he knew what we really needed on a team.

NDD - I've heard the story, years ago at Ft Sam, prior to one of our 'keep the pay' jumps in the briar fields of the NG tng area outside San Antonio, can't remember details, all I remember is we were all laughing so hard that it was difficult to get into our harnesses.
Camp Bullis
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:38   #152
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Camp Bullis
NDD- I meant remembering the details of (then CPT) Dr. Farr's story... I'm getting old and sometimes have CRS...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 14:20   #153
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

My son is back in the hospital for a few days, and the movie has been playing repeatedly on one of the cable channels. That's what he's wanted to watch. Over and over and over . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 14:36   #154
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
My son is back in the hospital for a few days, and the movie has been playing repeatedly on one of the cable channels. That's what he's wanted to watch. Over and over and over . . .
Yep, I caught it about 2:30 and following that was "The Frogmen" another decent black and white but much earlier than "The Green Berets"

BTW RL: Your son is still in our daily prayers and on our church prayer list. I might have already told you that . Hope all is well.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 14:55   #155
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndtrooper
BTW RL: Your son is still in our daily prayers and on our church prayer list. I might have already told you that . Hope all is well.
Thanks very much, 82T. Much appreciated.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18   #156
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
How about you? Have YOU been watching it over and over and over...???

You still haven't answered those questions, I posted oh sooooo long ago, in this thread.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:44   #157
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
In addition, I was a Pfc when I graduated in Training Group. We didn't get any promotions in Training Group higher than Pfc E-3. I think the medics may have received one stripe upon promotion. I didn't make SP4 until I had been in the 10th SFG for several months.

It was entirely possible and even probable that a Pfc would be the CO's driver. If he did well a stripe usually resulted.

Things were different. We had just returned from a Joint FCX with the British SAS. When we returned, LYT Faistenheimer was in our team room and congratulating me on a job well done. The team sergeant, MSG Valenzuela told the Col: "If you think he is that good, don't shake his hand, promote him." Within the week I was promoted to SSG.
I graduated SF Tng Gp Med Class 63-7 and several in my class made SP4 upon completion of Branch. I think Medics were the only ones who could get promotions, as students, in Tng Gp because of the length of training.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 14:50   #158
Sigaba
Area Commander

Question How would you remake The Green Berets?

That is, if you had a massive budget ($150 m - $200 m).

Questions to consider.

Would you remake the movie (i.e. same characters and plot) or reboot the movie to cover another event in the history of Special Forces?

Which studio would you have back you?

How would you cast the film? If some of the most skilled actors working today (such as Sean Penn) expressed interest in doing the film your way, would you consider them?

Who would be your primary behind the camera team (producers, writer, director)?

Would you seek assistance from the Department of Defense and other interested parties (and all the strings any assistance would imply) or would you go your own way as did Clint Eastwood when he made Heartbreak Ridge. (Originally, Tom Highway was a ranger.)

To what extent would you balance your vision of the film with the "notes" provided by the suits? (They're going to back you no matter what but they'll let you know if you're in the process of making the most expensive art house movie in film history or if you're making an action packed explosive thriller that will have people lined up around the block.)

Where would you premier the film?
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 15:05   #159
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Class starts soon, so no time for a lengthy reply:

BUT, I'd have "Ham Chunk" leave RVN as a "boat person," emigrate to the USA, become a citizen with SF'ers (FOG's - gotta get FOG's in the movie) from the original as sponsors, enlist in US Army, become SF and lead a team in A-Stan! Just a thought...
Old 03-26-2009, 15:10   #160
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
Would you remake the movie (i.e. same characters and plot) or reboot the movie to cover another event in the history of Special Forces?
Not going to mess with the original. Maybe a fictional plot in the early days of 10th Group in eastern Europe. With the practical constraint of the current audience's limited history, I'd probably go with Afghanistan.

Edited to add: ZonieDiver is right. One way or another, it must have FOGs.

Quote:
Which studio would you have back you?
Don't know enough about the industry to answer this one.

Quote:
How would you cast the film? If some of the most skilled actors working today (such as Sean Penn) expressed interest in doing the film your way, would you consider them?
I'd be doing it with the same intention as Wayne: as tribute to the men of the regiment. Actors' attitudes towards the project would have to match the intent. Therefore, Gary Sinise and Bruce Willis would be candidates. Sean Penn would be right out. Unless I can figure a way to write him in as a villain.

Quote:
Who would be your primary behind the camera team (producers, writer, director)?
Again, I don't know the industry enough to make these picks without research. I'd definitely have some tabbed personnel for technical advisors.

Quote:
Would you seek assistance from the Department of Defense and other interested parties (and all the strings any assistance would imply) or would you go your own way as did Clint Eastwood when he made Heartbreak Ridge. (Originally, Tom Highway was a ranger.)
I'd ask for it, and see what strings would be attached. Wayne used it for his, and Black Hawk Down would have been odd if they had been limited to civilian Hueys. With my intent as stated above, hopefully the DoD would work with me.

Quote:
To what extent would you balance your vision of the film with the "notes" provided by the suits? (They're going to back you no matter what but they'll let you know if you're in the process of making the most expensive art house movie in film history or if you're making an action packed explosive thriller that will have people lined up around the block.)
If they're going to back me, then I'll use that to do it right. Black Hawk Down and Taking Chance seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum, but they both seem to be doing okay.

Quote:
Easiest question yet. Takoma WA, Fayetteville NC, Clarksville TN, and Colorado Springs. If the suits insist on LA or NYC as well, that's fine, but those towns are required.

Last edited by Slantwire; 03-26-2009 at 15:12.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 15:24   #161
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
That is, if you had a massive budget ($150 m - $200 m).

We had our movie,, there is no way you could replicate Duke & cast..

If "The Green Berets" were re-made, it should be current players and their story..

World Premier: Gabriel Demonstration Area,, for the locals only...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 16:11   #162
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Gonzaga University 1974-75 ROTC had an MS1 Instructor; a Major - FA (Pre-Branch) who was the Commander on the Demonstration Team (He spoke Norwegian) at the begining of the movie. There was another Major at GU at the same time who was also in the movie but, he was Hawaiian. His comment was "I got fougassed in the wire." Anyone know these two great soldiers or where they are?

PS GU's gonna clobber UNC . . . This is the year Baby!!

Last edited by Dozer523; 03-26-2009 at 20:25.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 20:20   #163
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
We had our movie,, there is no way you could replicate Duke & cast..

If "The Green Berets" were re-made, it should be current players and their story..

World Premier: Gabriel Demonstration Area,, for the locals only...
JJ is right there is NO way they could redue it. The Duke is the Duke and thats that......................

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 20:35   #164
Dozer523
BANNED USER

You can skip the credits. (but you shouldn't, thanks TFS for reminding me what the best part of the movie REALLY is.)
But my friend is first seen about 2.05. All candidates should stand during the credits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwNwjEHYN8

Last edited by Dozer523; 03-27-2009 at 19:25. Reason: I was shown the light!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 20:49   #165
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Dozer,When you say skip the credits, I hope you don't mean at the very begining...Hell,That's the best part.......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote