Old 09-10-2012, 04:27   #1
tacmedic 425
Asset

Career Crossroads

Gentlemen- I am at a career decision point. I am a NG medical sergeant with two combat tours (Iraq and Afghanistan) as well as being a civilian paramedic. I have two goals, Special Forces and PA school. If I went the PA route first, could I still go to the Q Course or would I always be relegated to being an asset rather than a team-member/QP? I have been in an infantry environment my entire career and have had my fill of being a second class citizen until someone is broken or bleeding. I am currently 42 years old and my biolgical clock is ticking <foot pounding on floor>
tacmedic 425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmedic 425 View Post
Gentlemen- I am at a career decision point. I am a NG medical sergeant with two combat tours (Iraq and Afghanistan) as well as being a civilian paramedic. I have two goals, Special Forces and PA school. If I went the PA route first, could I still go to the Q Course or would I always be relegated to being an asset rather than a team-member/QP? I have been in an infantry environment my entire career and have had my fill of being a second class citizen until someone is broken or bleeding. I am currently 42 years old and my biolgical clock is ticking <foot pounding on floor>
Do what you love more, first.
Do what you can before you can't.
Make the choices based on the right reason.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

These guys can answer your PA and other such questions for you.

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/

Good luck.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Do what you love more, first.
Do what you can before you can't.
Make the choices based on the right reason.
For all of you reading this thread who face this, or a similar, decision in regard to SF... THIS IS good advice. Read and heed.

Do not end up like a lot of guys my age that I know or encounter.

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.

That clock is ticking...
Old 09-15-2012, 21:58   #5
greentick
Quiet Professional

I went to a civilian PA program while I was an 18D in the Guard and then stayed on a team until I ETS'd.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:06   #6
tacmedic 425
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentick View Post
I went to a civilian PA program while I was an 18D in the Guard and then stayed on a team until I ETS'd.
I have been looking at the IPAP program... It probably changes the dynamic of being on a team.
tacmedic 425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:47   #7
11Ber
Quiet Professional

Several issues first (I know I am an asshole): 1. No introduction-I know some people are waived periodically to post without and intro. If you are one, my apologies. If not, fix it and you may find a lot more people reaching out with advice or general shit talking. 2. You call yourself a "NG medical sergeant". You are a Company Senior Medic. As far as I know and can find via Google, the only MOS with medical sergeant in it is 18D. You are not an 18D...yet. I know it's semantics but I busted my ass to earn the title.

Now, at 42 you aren't old at all. We have 46 year old guys in my company running teams and 50 mile races. Guys that did Ranger school in their 40's and then Best Ranger very soon after. But everyday you ponder the decision is a day older. If being a 18D on an ODA is your goal, nothing will stop you.

Being a PA as well would make you even more of an asset to the team. Not just for taking care of brothers on the team but having a PA on a VSO site taking care of locals and teaching/mentoring local medical personnel would be exponentially rewarding. But look at the time line, 2-2.5 yrs in the Q plus 2 years at PA school and you are now 46-47 with little to no real team time. So to echo what others have said, do what you want the most now. Remember, you can go to PA school at 55 but can your body survive the Q at 50? Good luck and stay safe over there.
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote