Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-24-2010, 19:10   #1
HowardCohodas

frogg toggs

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Anyone familiar with this gear?

I attended a survival seminar sponsored by the FAA this afternoon. (Private pilots crash occasionally and my have to survive ) The instructor, FAA Inspector Mike Millard, recommended them highly. He is ex-USAF aircraft maintenance with a stint on the Thunderbirds team. He teaches survival skills.
Old 01-24-2010, 19:20   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Anyone familiar with this gear?

I attended a survival seminar sponsored by the FAA this afternoon. (Private pilots crash occasionally and my have to survive ) The instructor, FAA Inspector Mike Millard, recommended them highly. He is ex-USAF aircraft maintenance with a stint on the Thunderbirds team. He teaches survival skills.
Good dry gear.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 19:27   #3
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

fairly easy to rip
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 20:05   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I wear them all the time. Good stuff. If you look around you can get some really good deals on them.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 21:10   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Fancy Tyvek. Gets better every year; unfortunately, so does the price. Worth keeping in the truck for emergencies.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 21:31   #6
CivieAttorney
Asset

I Don't have a truck, but I keep a "rainy day" set in my briefcase for when I need to go places in my suit. I've had mine for about two years of regular use and have not been soaked once. Mine do have a small tear that I patched, but the cause of the tear also shredded the dress pants underneath, so I figure durability is at least on par with its basic function. My only complaint would be the lack of a hood, but the Toggs are one of my best $5 purchases ever.
Old 01-24-2010, 21:52   #7
alelks
Quiet Professional

They are Very light weight and work well. Just don't get them near anything that puts off heat as they melt VERY easily. While out 4-wheeling I leaned against the exhaust tip of my quad just for a second and it burned a perfect hole in one pants leg which surprised me.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 22:14   #8
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
I wear them all the time. Good stuff. If you look around you can get some really good deals on them.
I don't know how widely available is discount we were offered. If we buy it direct from the factory and whisper the magic words, we get 50% off.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59   #9
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I don't know how widely available is discount we were offered. If we buy it direct from the factory and whisper the magic words, we get 50% off.
Would the magic words be "hocus pocus ala cazar"?

Bunch of guys use them for the wet days when riding a motorcycle.. just don't let them touch your pipes.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 16:39   #10
Kingfisher
Quiet Professional

Great for emergency rain wear. Light weight and packs great. Wouldn't want to use them on a bike or boat in a heavy downpour. Stick with Gills for that.
Old 01-25-2010, 16:52   #11
wet dog

I climbed cellular phone towers with frogg toggs. Light weight, semi-durable.

REI, Bass Pro Shop carry them. I've offically boycotted Cabela's. Seems hunting dogs on a leash are no longer welcome, must be a PC thing.

Last edited by wet dog; 01-25-2010 at 16:55.
Old 01-25-2010, 17:04   #12
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Great for emergency rain wear. Light weight and packs great. Wouldn't want to use them on a bike or boat in a heavy downpour. Stick with Gills for that.
Size and weight with effectiveness are the focus for a survival kit for small aircraft and car.

There is a lot of survival gear out there and if I bought all that just seemed neat I would easily exceed gross weight and/or screw my weight and balance calculations.
Old 01-25-2010, 18:15   #13
wet dog

Quote:
....I would easily exceed gross weight and/or screw my weight and balance calculations.
Does the phrase, "my ruck sack carries 100lbs., of light weight gear", come to mind?
Old 01-25-2010, 21:24   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I climbed cellular phone towers with frogg toggs. Light weight, semi-durable.

REI, Bass Pro Shop carry them. I've offically boycotted Cabela's. Seems hunting dogs on a leash are no longer welcome, must be a PC thing.
Lawyer thing.

Some dogs bite, not always obvious which ones, so insurers ban them all

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 21:37   #15
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Lawyer thing.
It is up to leadership, corporate or otherwise, to make choices. Leadership must balance the input regarding risk and cost exposure provided from the lawyers and insurance providers with input from the sales department regarding their evaluation of the impact on sales.

The only part of the equation where customers have leverage to impact decision making is withholding their patronage and making it public why they do so. This may seem only a passive-aggressive approach, but it suits my style as well.

Last edited by HowardCohodas; 01-25-2010 at 21:39. Reason: Run on sentence