Old 03-21-2005, 16:53   #1
ccrn
Guerrilla

Compass

I am looking at compasses for personal carry and while on drill.

Right now I like the Silva 360 lensatic.

Any opinions about this or others will be apprectiated. Please be specific about the compass you use and or would recommend.

This compass will be used for military land nav. I carry a small Silva 1-2-3 for basic orientation.
Attached Images
File Type: gif SilvaLensatic.gif (5.7 KB, 338 views)
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 17:36   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

If it doesn't have tritium, it will become a real pain during night land nav.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 18:07   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Silva Ranger.

And you can use it while shaving.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 18:42   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Silva Ranger.

TR
Agree.

Still have mine....

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 20:23   #5
ccrn
Guerrilla

Is one model Ranger preferred over the other?

http://www.silvacompass.com/products.html

Thankyou very much for the replies-
Old 03-21-2005, 21:38   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Silva Ranger.

TR
Bought mine in '88...and it (the same one) is still my preferred

As far as which one...there only used to be one

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 22:21   #7
ccrn
Guerrilla

Theres three now: Ranger Ultra 530, Ranger 515 CL and 515 CLQ-

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 22:36   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
Theres three now: Ranger Ultra 530, Ranger 515 CL and 515 CLQ-

Thanks
I went and had a look see.

The only difference I see between the 530 and the 515CLQ is the 530 has a "split sighting mirror, 1/20-inch and millimeter rules for mapping and silicone feet for map gripping"

I'd like to see the "split sighting mirror" on the 530.

The 515CLQ or the 530 will do just fine.

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 22:37   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Silva Ranger.

TR
Takes a hard man to shave on the move.

Yeah, but you know always where you are going.

Didn't want to say that you could use it to shave with, but the big mirror sure is handy.

TR
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 00:11   #10
magician
Quiet Professional

I was a little more minimalistic in my compass use. I just learned that way, and I preferred keeping my hands empty, so that I could hold a walking stick, or my weapon.

I used a Tekna wrist compass, and later, one made by some other company that I cannot remember now. That is all that I used. I had a military-issue compass on my web gear, and sometimes I hung it around my neck, and stuffed the compass into a chest pocket....or tied it off on my belt, and stuffed the compass into a chest pocket....but I got to a point where I pretty much used just the wrist compass, and my map.

My feeling is, only someone who wants to suffer the most twisted fate that Murphy can devise goes to the woods with just one compass. Always have a backup. Always.

Needless to say, this way of working with a compass means that you are terrain associating, not merely walking distance and pace count.

I guess that one reason why I preferred working this way is because it helped free me from focusing on the compass. It helped me learn to keep my head up, which is always a good thing in the woods, and it helped me really LOOK at the terrain, and really see it.

With time, I learned to move with just the map in my hand, (in a plastic bag and tied down to my body, of course), folded to just the "lane" that I was working in, with left and right boundaries and a limit of advance. After I got practiced, developed a feel for the terrain, and felt synchronized and confident in my map recon, I put the map away entirely, and just remembered my general direction of travel, and the terrain features that I would be using to remain oriented.

As I hit significant points, or took a water break, I would break the map out and confirm location, recon my route ahead, and then put it away again.

Over time, it got to a point where I was able to walk through the woods for extended distances only occasionally consulting my wrist compass.

Troy Trek really, really refined my skills. I loved that freakin' event. It was one of the coolest things that I ever did in the military.

I wish that I could go back and run it again.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.

Last edited by magician; 03-22-2005 at 00:14.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 00:21   #11
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Damn, I have been away a long time. When I got out, I took my issue compass with me and used it until it was stolen somewhere in the 70's. I checked the website and read your posts, those are fantastic. Catch up time, aaaaagain.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:58   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

I agree wholeheartedly, Magician. I really enjoyed Trek (we did it at Ft. A.P. Hill), but not only for the navigation; I liked spending several days alone relying solely on my own abilities to get around in the woods. Well, except for that one 14km leg on Day 1.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:52   #13
magician
Quiet Professional

I really liked being solo, too, brother.

I covered some serious distance....but I ate some great chow, built some awesome fires out in the middle of nowhere, slept my ass off, and really....just enjoyed the wilderness. It was delightful being solo out there.

I could have killed myself and completed the course a lot faster....but what would have been fun about that? I will not say that I took my time...but I did not murder myself, and when I finished the course, I was in good shape. I could have sustained that pace of cross-country movement for many, many more days.

My classmates....they ALL humped like their hair was on fire. And they were all limping around Mackall afterwards, in real bad shape, all beat up, feet banged up, smoked.

I learned something from that. I was mission-capable. They were not.

Hmmm.

But there was just something....about busting brush by moonlight through the thick shit....and walking right up on a point in the middle of the night. After getting my next point....pulling off a couple of clicks along my line of march into low ground, and taking it easy.

It remains one of the high points of my military life.

What a privilege to go and do that course.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35   #14
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Silva Ranger: Can't go wrong with it. Mirror can be used for emergency signal mirror or shaving.

The issue compass is good to have as well! I still have mine.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:45   #15
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

OK, where does one purchase the Ranger Ultra 530. Tried the website, got the run-around.

My son is headin ta the 'Stan inacuppola months, want him to have the best.

Thanx.

Toby

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote