Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-15-2014, 15:37   #1
ImagesNC

Question from a photographer

Had a question I wanted to pose to you folks.

I have a contract that would have me taking photos of soldiers of different levels during training exercises for unit use. The last person I was told couldn't get his crap together and kept missing shots because he was fumbling with his gear and talking too much.

To not have to fumble with gear I had an idea of using a plate carrier and basically setting up a camera bag that I wear. This would put all of my gear "at the ready" but would bring a possible problem. The LAST thing I want to do is look like some kind of "wannabe." My goal is practicality. I know I'm bound to catch crap just because I'm the civilian.

So my question would be - If you were doing some sort of training, saw a photographer will all of his gear setup on a plate carrier - Is that something that might bring negative attention?

Thank you for any guidance you guys can provide.
Old 04-15-2014, 23:54   #2
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesNC View Post
The last person I was told couldn't get his crap together and kept missing shots because he was fumbling with his gear and talking too much.
Remember, you're not there too talk...

Use gear that serves no "single" purpose. Lowepro is what I've been carrying for years:
  • MacBook Pro w/500GB SSD HD & 8GB Ram
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • iPod
  • Canon DSLR T1i
  • 1-tele/wide/standard/flash
  • Bose Noise Canceling Headphones

And, the pics are NOT yours since, you'll be on a contract.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35   #3
ImagesNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Remember, you're not there too talk...

Use gear that serves no "single" purpose. Lowepro is what I've been carrying for years:
  • MacBook Pro w/500GB SSD HD & 8GB Ram
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • iPod
  • Canon DSLR T1i
  • 1-tele/wide/standard/flash
  • Bose Noise Canceling Headphones

And, the pics are NOT yours since, you'll be on a contract.
Understood 100% that the pics are not mine. I'm just thrilled to have been awarded the contract and am trying to avoid the issues that the previous civilian photog had.

My gear I will be carrying on these jobs:
Canon 5D III w/ 24-70 2.8
Canon 7D w/ 70-200 2.8 IS
Sigma 18-35 1.8
Canon 2x TC
Canon 1.7 tc
Canon 100-400

MANY batteries plus portable media backup system

What I've done is procured a basic coyote brown plate carrier from the local surplus store and a few pouches from Maxpedition and The Vest Guy. Both cameras I will be using weapons slings to keep them from banging together. Essentially the idea was to turn a plate carrier into a wearable camera bag where everything is easily accessible and there is no fumbling and missing shots. I've done one job already but that was in a non-outdoor setting with no movement.

I fully expect to catch some grief simply because I'm a civilian but am trying to avoid the "wannabe" tag as jobs will put me in close proximity to folks in the HS category. I want my shots to speak for themselves. I received some positive feedback on the idea from a retired QP. Said people might look at me funny at first but the effort made to be as practical and quick as possible should win out. The main piece of advice was dont speak unless spoken to.

Hope that made sense. I tend to ramble ALOT.

Thank you very much for the reply. The noise cancelling headphones idea have me wanting to head to a local store to procure electronic earpro so I can hear when needed.

Last edited by ImagesNC; 04-16-2014 at 05:38.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:05   #4
Guy
Quiet Professional

Are you going to be stateside or overseas? Why the two cameras?

The headphones are for peace & quiet while, editing and selecting pics and/or ignoring people on flights.

BTW...I use a Photive Battery Grip for Canon EOS Rebel w/Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs while carrying a few extra batteries which I've never needed.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-

Last edited by Guy; 04-16-2014 at 06:41.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10   #5
ImagesNC

I'm completely stateside here in Fayetteville.

No travel requirements have been laid out to me.

I use two cameras because shooting lots of movement; I fully expect to have to use two lenses. Don't want to ever be caught changing lenses and missing shots. If need be I have two 5d III's because of low light needs.

Does stink that I wont get any of my photos or even credit but hell - Knowing what the pictures are for and who might see them is enough for me.

I did receive some guidance about 20 minutes ago that if I do execute the plate carrier idea it should have a quick release. Had to look up what that was. Feel stupid lol
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15   #6
Guy
Quiet Professional

I'd bring every piece of equipment that I owned; just in case then!

I'm just an amateur photo person however, I'd leave the "militarization" of photographers to the professionals (cross thread points).

Do you get my above drift?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45   #7
ImagesNC

I believe drift has been caught.

I hope atleast. Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11   #8
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Adapting a PC makes absolutely no sense to me. Stick with a quality photographer's "shoot me first" vest. They're more comfortable (stick with quality cotton canvas or similar weight poly/cotton or NYCO blends), purpose designed/built, less expensive (than a kitted up PC w/pouches ), more versatile (WRT other employment within your chosen profession), more professional (airsoft look-alike anyone?), etc. Your job isn't to "blend in", it's to take pictures. MOO but I am wondering WTFO?
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:09   #9
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Are you going to be taking photos where an armor vest is required? If not go with Perigrino's response. Wear the equipment as you would normally wear it and feel comfortable. Of course take care to secure everything as you mentioned so that you're not dangling everywhere and flappin in the wind.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20   #10
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

What Snaquebite said. And don't stand around with your hands in your pockets!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22   #11
ImagesNC

No, no armor is required. I've just found that the military level equipment is FAR superior to the commercial photographer level stuff.

For instance I have two of the large Maxpedition bottle holders that hold my long lenses PERFECTLY. I've got a forward observer "wedge" bag coming from a company called Hazard4. Another long lens pouch for having a camera attached from a company called the vest guy. Two single point slings to have a camera on each side of the standard molle vest I have. This job will be a new environment for me so I was thinking of putting all of this on a plate carrier, cutting some camping foam to fit in the armor pouches to give it some stiffness for equipment protection against my body and my "shoot me first" patch on the back.

Was going to go with straight tan or black and avoid any kind of pattern at all cost. The best way I can explain it is essentially a camera bag that I can wear and access all of my equipment quickly and easily. I know doing this would draw a few weird looks but I'm just trying to avoid resentment or the "wannabe" tag. Practicality was my goal.

Hope that makes better sense.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41   #12
Snaquebite
Area Commander

My point about "feeling comfortable" refers to knowing your set-up. However you decide to go, you should wear it and practice as best you can changing out lenses if necessary, changing cameras, etc. Put yourself through mental "what ifs" and be ready to do whatever you have to get that all important Pulitzer shot.

Oh shit...where'd I put that damn lens cloth?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:45   #13
ImagesNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
My point about "feeling comfortable" refers to knowing your set-up. However you decide to go, you should wear it and practice as best you can changing out lenses if necessary, changing cameras, etc. Put yourself through mental "what ifs" and be ready to do whatever you have to get that all important Pulitzer shot.

Oh shit...where'd I put that damn lens cloth?
Understood completely

Thank You
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47   #14
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb Attire...

I stay away from attire that has that "military/contractor" look especially, when traveling.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-Sportcoat.shtml

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/QUEST_Vest_Men.shtml

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/B...rt_Solid.shtml

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 04-18-2014, 20:36   #15
ImagesNC

What I did was use a 511 vest and setup my gear with that. A nice suggestion of 550 cord was used and everything is good and tight against my body when I'm wearing it. Talked to TYR tactical today and when they get their sewing shop up and running I'm going to sit down and have all of my stuff measured out and setup using that same vest except with military quality durability.

I'm just really hesitant with the commercial stuff. It's perfect for a ginger walk through the woods but I just don't trust carrying my gear on these jobs using it. Any shop around here that deals directly with soldiers and the SF community I figure would be able to do something FAR more durable.

Guy, and everyone else I really appreciate the input. The plate carrier indeed would have been a bad idea for several reasons.