Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 12-20-2006, 08:49   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Warrior Diet

Anybody doing this?

Anbody seen a place to download the book in pdf or whatever?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:00   #2
Kyobanim

Is this what you're talking about?

cbass.com/warrior_diet.htm

Or this - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Diet

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:01   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Yes
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:16   #4
AF IDMT
Guerrilla

Read the book when it first came out. Never did the diet though. Wasn't conducive to my goals at the time. I'll look around and see if I still have a copy of it laying around.
AF IDMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:42   #5
Kyobanim

After briefly researching this, (I haven't read the book), I came to the following conclusions:

Undereating during the day and overeating at night is a sure fire way to gain weight but there's a lot of variables to this such as; your metabolism, age, how much you eat and what you are eating. I eat like that now; light snack in the morning, sandwich for lunch another light snack late afternoon and balanced meal when I get done at night, usually around 8 or 830. I have a high metabolism but my age works against me. I find myself gaining weight in the wrong places i.e. mid-area. When I eat 2 or 3 balanced meals (calorie wise) I do beter in the weight department. I think this diet has too many variables to apply to everyone

I workout everyday, aerobic 45 to 90 minutes interspursed with weights 3 days a week. I also do the Bowflex thing 3 days a week alternated with the weights. This seems to be similar to this program. I can retain muscle but not gain any noticable muscle. My strength is probably about average for someone of my body type and age but I would expect more considering what I do. Once again, my opinion is this program will work for some but there are too many variables to consider this for the masses.

I don't consider myself to be a warrior but in my opinion, FWIW, this is just another South Park diet, or whatever it was called.

A person who is serious about training to their peak should balance diet, physical and mental training based on what they are training for and just as importantly, for their body. I'll bet the physicians tear this one apart.

Just my .02

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Optimus Prime
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I'm eating lots of fast food and drinking a lot.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51   #7
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Isn't that the Santa Claus diet - or the Beach Ball diet? Watch out counselor, you might not be able to fit through the door soon, and then CatWoman would have to DX you.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougish Lawyer
Sounds like the 'During SARR' (fast food) and 'Thank God Thats Over' (ETOH) diet. Atleast its that way for my OR. lol

Now its back to working out and eating right.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 14:01   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Perhaps if you caught and ate food that was slower you would not be as thirsty and you would drink less. I'm too damn old to worry about diets. Food is fuel and I fuel this carcass as much as it needs and perhaps a little more than it needs so I can make it to the next MSS or resupply drop.
Old 12-20-2006, 14:53   #10
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Yeah, I always thought that Pizza and Beer, was the Warrior Diet?

Something I've been following religiously for awhile now.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 16:10   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Kyo,
I hear what you are saying and at first glance, I felt the same way. However...

I knew a guy a while back that ate this way. I don't know if he knew about this diet or just did it. But it worked. He was a Brit, former SAS and it seems to be pretty popular among that crowd. He had no problems with energy or strength and was a very hard man.

It isn't going all day without eating, like many seem to think. And it isn't eating whatever you want at the big meal either. There are rules.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-20-2006, 19:27   #12
Kyobanim

I guess I ought to read the book and see what's in it, might be something to it. Maybe they have it at the library.

Back on tract guys.

Optimus Prime
Old 01-13-2007, 17:30   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

pizza diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver
Yeah, I always thought that Pizza and Beer, was the Warrior Diet?
It is according to this guy and you can't run 262 miles (with no sleep or rest) without having warrior mindset

FWIW
http://www.ultramarathon.com/Dean1.pdf

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 14:07   #14
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Well, this does work

Interesting. I just tripped over this thread today.

I'm doing some consulting work at a surgeon's clinic, and due to his schedule, this is exactly what my diet has been, and I've lost a large amount of weight. Basically fasting (maybe one or two fruits or meat snack) during the day and gorging on an early dinner.

I was wondering what was going on. I have energy all day, don't get hungry, eat a sumptious meal and sleep well without heartburn/etc. My body seems to have really taken to it.

Strange.....
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 15:41   #15
mugwump
Area Commander

My son got me onto something that might be similar about 6 months ago -- small breakfast of lentils or quick barley or oatmeal plus skim milk. Piece of German bread at 1 pm'ish (it's this really dense stuff in very thin slices, whole rye w/ sunflower; more pressed, cooked grain than bread). Sometimes I'll add a small amount of pickled fish mid-day. Lots of water. Pig-out meal at dinner after I work out. I'll eat a pound of frozen vegetables, a cup of red lentils (kali dal), four eggs or two lean minute steaks or 1/2 pound of salmon, a big bowl of low fat cottage cheese, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and some yogurt w/ fruit for dessert. Nothing but water after dinner. Bourbon only on weekends.

I've lost 45 pounds, eliminated chronic heartburn that had me taking Prilosec, and my total cholesterol is down to 135 from 240 (I also take statins). I've done away with morning and afternoon caffeine, basically because I don't need it. After a tough first 2 weeks of adjustment I'm never hungry except right after my workout. I have a ton of energy in the day and no "lunchtime crash."

I am also working out: 1/2 hour hard cardio and 3/4 hour of resistance (mostly isometric w/ some free weights) 4-5 times a week and I swim a mile 1-2 times a week (using mask/fins/snorkel).

Five more pounds and a clean stress test and my doctor will sign me off for deco diving (I'll be 6'4" and 210 pounds -- yes I was a bit pudgy). The daughter and I are taking up skydiving this spring. Those two activities were the motivations for the lifestyle change but I feel so good I think it will self-sustaining.

My son is 21 and he's been eating like this for two years and he's in awesome shape. He eats in the evening before he works out and again afterwards -- basically two meals the size of my big evening meal, but his workouts are epic. I feel ill if I work out after my meal, he almost passes out if he doesn't eat first. It's counter-intuitive to me that his workouts are better after a huge meal, but it works for him. He also supplements his second dinner w/ a protein shake.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote