Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-15-2019, 08:52   #1
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Dallas Fort Worth Police shoots civilian at home...

On the early morning of 12 October, Dallas Fort Worth police officer Aaron Dean shot a woman at her home when he saw her at her window at 2am while performing a wellness check. I won't post the body cam video here, but you can find it all over YT and it just shows the officer moving outside the home with his firearm drawn and a flashlight. This comes just weeks after the sentencing of Dallas police officer Amber Guyer for shooting another innocent civilian at his own apartment.

It appears that police officer Aaron Dean was startled when saw the woman at her window. He did not identify himself as a LEO, shouted "show me your hands" (window was closed, by the way, so she may have not heard him well enough), and shot her. There was zero escalation of force. And, heck, he was supposed to just swing by for a wellness check. From seeing her to shooting her I think maybe two seconds elapsed. She had no weapons on her person and was in her own home.

We have discussed this as a forum in the past, but, really... WTF are they teaching these officers?! I keep hearing this mantra of "the most important thing is that the officers come home alive to their families" and I think this is total BS.

Certainly, I would prefer that every police officer comes home in one piece every day, but their primary job is to safeguard the citizenry and uphold the law. I think a small, but significant number, of LEOs are increasingly untrained, scared out of their wits, and should just not be out there with a firearm.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:03   #2
Sohei
Area Commander

That is an absolutely disgusting and maddening article to sit and read through. IMO, there is way too much reliance being taught today in reference to the use of tasers, pepper spray and weapons versus "mentality." That breeds a form of cowardice and fear that reveals itself in situations like this one. Fear can be a killer for all parties involved in the field of LE.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:50   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
I think a small, but significant number, of LEOs are increasingly untrained, scared out of their wits, and should just not be out there with a firearm.
I agree, just not sure that the number is as small as it should be.

Former Ft Worth Police Officer Aaron Dean charged with murder.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...236195198.html

Maybe if a few police chiefs and city officials are held personally responsible for the illegal acts of their employees things would change.

In early August, an Arlington, TX (city next to Ft. Worth) police officer killed a woman while shooting at a dog running at him.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...233429077.html

Both of these incidents happened within a few miles of my home.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:57   #4
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

So many things wrong with this situation that I feel sorry for everyone that created the environment that led to this tragic and unfortunate death.

The officer F’d up and he should pay a worthy price for this error and the department should pay a hefty price for the training they must have developed that places so much fear in the way police are trained and deployed. (Not unique to this department, but everywhere.)

There will be no winners in the outcome of this case, only loss, and a community that will take years to heal if ever.

With each passing event trust in law enforcement is eroded to the point where it becomes meaningless and counterproductive.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:02   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

blam blam blam blam blam

FREEEEZE !!!

...blam
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 13:15   #6
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
blam blam blam blam blam

FREEEEZE !!!

...blam
hahah! My signature line is going to be filled up with Box quotes!

It looks like there may be more to this story (as usual)

Quote:
A murder warrant for Aaron Dean, the Fort Worth officer who killed Atatiana Jefferson, tells what led up to the shooting from the perspective of her 8-year-old nephew, who was in the room with her when she was shot.

The boy told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games together about 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she heard noises outside. She took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit.

The 8-year-old saw his aunt fall to the ground. Jefferson, 28, was pronounced dead at 3:05 a.m.

Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said at a news conference Tuesday that it “makes sense that she would have a gun if she felt that she was being threatened or there was someone in the backyard.”

That sentiment was echoed by an attorney for Jefferson’s family. Lee Merritt said Jefferson had every right to defend herself. The officers did not announce themselves as law enforcement.
Source

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 13:40   #7
Joker
Quiet Professional

How many here would investigate a flashlight and mumbling outside of their house at night (rhetorical)?

That cop shouldn’t have been one.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 14:55   #8
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
blam blam blam blam blam

FREEEEZE !!!

...blam
And the "FREEEEEZE" command was so their target would hold still long enough for them to actually hit it.

Examined in isolation, this incident was an avoidable tragedy. Examined in the aggregate, this incident isn't even unusual any more. Personally, I think cops are like any other group; easy to plot on a Bell Curve. On the right, the genuine Paladins; on the left, the dregs of society - bullies, cowards, sociopaths, etc., except for the badge, indistinguishable from the criminal; in the middle, a decent (no greater flaws than average) human being usually trying to do the right thing (when the personal ramifications aren't overwhelmingly negative). This officer was probably one of the average ones who found himself in a position where his training, experience (rookie), and courage failed him. That makes this twice the tragedy.

The wife has taken to watching the “Live” police programs on satellite (means I get to spend more time hiding in my office – cause those programs just piss me off). While the majority of each episode is straightforward criminals doing criminal “stuff”, every episode also includes one or more interactions that appear to have been escalated beyond any provocation by overly aggressive LEOs, either as a function of their personality or posturing (creating drama) for the camera. Very few show an LEO de-escalating, and while a few are “neutral”, I’ve yet to see one where there’s a positive outcome for the citizen being engaged, regardless of how minor the supposed “infraction”. Bluntly – based on the examples presented in these shows, there is no encounter between a citizen and law enforcement that cannot be manipulated into a bad outcome for the citizen.

Officer Friendly ranks right up there with the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. Given their “state sanctioned” ability to wield lethal force, the potentially deadly friction points in any encounter between law enforcement and the public are numerous. Simple "human nature" (see Stanford Prison Experiment) makes LEO vs. Citizen conflict inevitable. Add the negative aspects of personality, politics, prejudices, training deficiencies/scars, and the overwhelming quantity of "Malum Prohibitum" laws that criminalize virtually everything and the potential for a disastrous outcome is present in EVERY citizen interaction with law enforcement. Add the fact that law enforcement appears notoriously inept (indifferent, unmotivated, "laws are for other people", etc.) at policing themselves (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?), the only safe course of action is avoidance.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 15:18   #9
Texas_Shooter
SF Candidate

Murder Charge

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...d-authorities/

It is Texas and we enjoy our Second Amendment, along with Texas Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The Castle Doctrine is well in place in our state and it is normal to hear about individuals firing on would be robbers breaking into homes.

Like several of you have said this was a preventable, avoidable situation.

IMO he will get acquitted of the charges because he will use the defense that he felt his life was in danger because she had a firearm in her hand, pointing it at the window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_123a.jpg (85.3 KB, 33 views)
Texas_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 15:46   #10
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
...On the right, the genuine Paladins; on the left, the dregs of society - bullies, cowards, sociopaths, etc., except for the badge, indistinguishable from the criminal; in the middle, a decent (no greater flaws than average) human being usually trying to do the right thing (when the personal ramifications aren't overwhelmingly negative). This officer was probably one of the average ones who found himself in a position where his training, experience (rookie), and courage failed him. That makes this twice the tragedy....
Very well said, indeed! I couldn't agree more.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 16:25   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

This is as I see it a training failure. I’ll let the defense of the officer rest with the courts and the investigative process.

On face value both officers responded inappropriately to the call out which makes another observation necessary...what was the dispatchers words or code entered for response? (Welfare check or burglary in process?)

Whatever happened to knocking on the front door and announcing “Police, is anybody home?”

IMO The police and this officer violated the victim’s Constitutional rights and became the prowler not the protector when he (they) entered the backyard unannounced. Just plain stupid!

Play stupid games win stupid prizes!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 16:30   #12
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Shooter View Post
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...d-authorities/

It is Texas and we enjoy our Second Amendment, along with Texas Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The Castle Doctrine is well in place in our state and it is normal to hear about individuals firing on would be robbers breaking into homes.

Like several of you have said this was a preventable, avoidable situation.

IMO he will get acquitted of the charges because he will use the defense that he felt his life was in danger because she had a firearm in her hand, pointing it at the window.
The linked article also states that she had a TX License to Carry.

We do have the 'castle doctrine" in Texas, but the requirements for justified use of deadly force have to be met. For a mere civilian with an LTC, "feeling threatened" by someone hasn't fulfilled justification for the use of deadly force.

In my own home and yard, if something goes bump in the night, or the doorbell rings, I hold my pistol behind my back. Too many trigger happy cops out there who cannot grasp the fact that citizens have a legal right to be armed inside their homes and that fact doesn't justify getting shot by a nervous cop.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 16:55   #13
Texas_Shooter
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post

We do have the 'castle doctrine" in Texas, but the requirements for justified use of deadly force have to be met. For a mere civilian with an LTC, "feeling threatened" by someone hasn't fulfilled justification for the use of deadly force.

In my own home and yard, if something goes bump in the night, or the doorbell rings, I hold my pistol behind my back. Too many trigger happy cops out there who cannot grasp the fact that citizens have a legal right to be armed inside their homes and that fact doesn't justify getting shot by a nervous cop.
Yes you are correct she still had not fulfilled the justification under castle doctrine but she had the right to have a firearm in here hand while inside here own home because she had heard noises from outside.

The officer though is a different story. IMO he will come through this with no issues because she had the firearm in her hand and he felt in fear for his life.
Texas_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 18:47   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Shooter View Post
Yes you are correct she still had not fulfilled the justification under castle doctrine but she had the right to have a firearm in here hand while inside here own home because she had heard noises from outside.

The officer though is a different story. IMO he will come through this with no issues because she had the firearm in her hand and he felt in fear for his life.
Well if he thought he would get cleared why did he quit? He refused to talk to investigators also.

I will wager he is going on a USG VACATION FOR A FEW YERS......

Just my take so far. I am sitting back and waiting for the process to run it’s course before making a decision.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 20:01   #15
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post

She never fired. She was in her own home. She did nothing wrong.

You hiding your gun is simply smart. But not doing that is a.) not illegal and b.) shouldn't be a death sentence