Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-28-2018, 17:36   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

It keeps getting easier to choose - Corporates go Political

This latest round of reactions from the shooting in Florida has an ancillary effect of simplifying my life and decision making process.

Was this a horrific act? Yes

Was it preventable? Yes

Choosing the path to politicize your organization and patronize the zealots while running scared from MSM and the rest that look at our U.S. Constitution as an A la Carte menu.

This is a summary of those who have come to me and told me they no longer want my patronage and have gone the extra mile of encouraging me to tell others to not conduct business with them.

So for you:
Corporations that have chosen to remove partnerships from the NRA
Corporations who choose to take uninformed anti-gun stances on social media
Corporate Executives who choose to turn LinkedIn into Fakebook and use their personal accounts (with their corporate title in their profile).

Bye.

Specific examples
Hertz Car Rental
Enterprise Car Rental
National Car Rental
Alamo Car Rental
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Delta Airlines
United Airlines
Avis and Budget
Symantec
TrueCar
MetLife
SimpliSafe
First National Bank of Omaha
Bloomin’ Brands –
Outback Steakhouse
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Bonefish Grill
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse
WalMart

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 02-28-2018 at 18:26.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 17:43   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Dick’s is also Field and Stream. (That was the hypocritical outlet for Dick’s to continue selling ARs after Sandy Hook)

Thanks I’m making my list and checking it twice.

Come Christmas I’ll remember who’s been naughty or nice.

ETA: can add Walmart to the list.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 02-28-2018 at 17:56.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 18:09   #3
TWITCHY
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
This latest round of reactions from the shooting in Florida has an ancillary effect of simplifying my life and decision making process.

Was this a horrific act? Yes

Was it preventable? Yes

Choosing the path to politicize your organization and patronize the zealots while running scared from MSM and the rest that look at our U.S. Constitution as an A la Carte menu.

This is a summary of those who have come to me and told me they no longer want my patronage and have gone the extra mile of encouraging me to tell others to not conduct business with them.

So for you:
Corporations that have chosen to remove partnerships from the NRA
Corporations who choose to take uninformed anti-gun stances on social media
Corporate Executives who choose to turn LinkedIn into Fakebook and use their personal accounts (with their corporate title in their profile).

Bye.

Specific examples
Hertz Car Rental
Enterprise Car Rental
National Car Rental
Alamo Car Rental
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Delta Airlines
United Airlines
Avis and Budget
Symantec
TrueCar
MetLife
SimpliSafe
First National Bank of Omaha
Bloomin’ Brands –
Outback Steakhouse
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Bonefish Grill
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse
Sir, it looks like you can add Wal-mart to that list. http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/news...uns/index.html
TWITCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 18:32   #4
PSM
Area Commander

Well, Dick's tells you what they are when you enter, but Walmart?

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 20:57   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

in most places - dicks has merged into a larger store with field and stream - in those stores, dicks doesnt sell any guns or ammo - field and stream sells all the guns ammo and archery equipment while dicks sells shoes and volleyballs

saying that dicks isnt going to sell that shit anymore fits right into their corporate plan - crossfitters and tennis players can continue to shop at dicks while hunters and fisherman can shop at that evil hillbilly store named field and stream

...I am curious to see if the corporate bosses stop selling guns at field and stream unless their corporate conscience only bothers them at the stores that sell bowling shoes
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 02-28-2018 at 21:02.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 23:28   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

What is going on with all the rental agencies?
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22   #7
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

I’d like to see a suit against the Dicks and Walmart in OR and CO citing the bakeries that were compelled to violate their religious beliefs.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:38   #8
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
What is going on with all the rental agencies?
Corporate pulls all their associated brands with them so in reality it is the two parent companies.

Enterprise also owns Alamo and National
Hertz also owns Avis Budget and Payless

TrueCar is also in that pile of steaming.......

Anyone see a corporate statement from either as to the why? Or are they too busy cowering in the corner hoping Antifa doesn't say mean words to them?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:16   #9
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I’d like to see a suit against the Dicks and Walmart in OR and CO citing the bakeries that were compelled to violate their religious beliefs.
Not the same thing. You either sell cakes/guns or you don’t. Companies can’t pick and choose who to sell their cakes/guns to based on religious beliefs (Although I can think of one peaceful religion that should be put on the do not sell list). However, it does seem odd that companies are able to discriminate by age limits even when there is currently no law setting said limits.

LHC
Old 03-01-2018, 11:04   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Fedex' latest blurb about their standing position on these things, updated to dance on the most recent one.

Quote:
February 26, 2018 – FedEx Corporation’s positions on the issues of gun policy and safety differ from those of the National Rifle Association (NRA). FedEx opposes assault rifles being in the hands of civilians. While we strongly support the constitutional right of U.S. citizens to own firearms subject to appropriate background checks, FedEx views assault rifles and large capacity magazines as an inherent potential danger to schools, workplaces, and communities when such weapons are misused. We therefore support restricting them to the military. Most important, FedEx believes urgent action is required at the local, state, and Federal level to protect schools and students from incidents such as the horrific tragedy in Florida on February 14th.

FedEx is a common carrier under Federal law and therefore does not and will not deny service or discriminate against any legal entity regardless of their policy positions or political views. The NRA is one of hundreds of organizations in our alliances/association Marketing program whose members receive discounted rates for FedEx shipping. FedEx has never set or changed rates for any of our millions of customers around the world in response to their politics, beliefs or positions on issues. [In other words, we hate you but are happy to take your money.]
Personally, and very unfortunately, this also takes out MidwayUSA for me, who use Fedex a bunch in their shipping. The main gripe I have is that, due to agreement with USPS, they will sometimes just drop it to the local PO for box delivery, when what I paid for was to get it to my door. (Up here, UPS' delivery model literally rocks for 20hrs/day till they leave town from the last delivery with an empty truck.)

But considering Midway's long-standing practice of "round-up" your bill (if you elect to) to donate to the NRA, perhaps Midway should discontinue Fedex as one of their carriers; or at least let them know if it's of concern to you. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:57   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Can add Kroger which owns Fred Meyer to the list.

However I’m starting to soften a bit. Who really wants someone with no firearms experience or knowledge or even an understanding of the Constitution selling guns to someone just because they have the money and the government can’t find a reason to deny them?

My thought being if (along with my post yesterday somewhere that mentioned “that boy just ain’t right in the head”) a clerk at Dick’s or Fred Meyer working behind the gun counter at this minute might as well be washing the vegetables and restocking cold cereal the next minute.

I’m not saying that a bona fide arms dealer isn’t scrupulous or underhanded to make a sale, but maybe just maybe he has a long history with the community and children or grandchildren in those schools. He’s not going to sell an AR-15 or the accouterments of massive death dealing to a kid or adult who fits the description of “not quite right in the head” I don’t care how green your money is leave my store.

Kroger’s statement in the WSJ article said they want to be responsible arms dealers; I don’t know how they can do that when their business model relies only on the 4473 and whether the government gives a thumbs up or down.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:27   #12
rsdengler
Area Commander

I bought my handgun (and we are buying another one) and ammo at my local gun shop where I took my HQL class, it is more convenient and I know the owner. Plus, I'm always in there looking and playing with handguns, so I would rather give him my business. I do buy ammo at Cabelas, but this shop is about 15 minutes from my house and Cabelas is a few hours away. I have ordered from Midway, but it is not the norm for me. Dick's Sporting Goods, I only buy my Reebok shirts from that store, I have bought safety glasses previously, but I would never buy a weapon from them. All they have behind the counter are young kids with zilch experience and airhead knowledge of firearms, and anything related.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:06   #13
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
I bought my handgun (and we are buying another one) and ammo at my local gun shop where I took my HQL class, it is more convenient and I know the owner. Plus, I'm always in there looking and playing with handguns, so I would rather give him my business.
Good for you ma'am! I alternate business local/online, spread it around. There is actually a Hardware Hank 1/2 hr north that has a well-developed sporting/guns department that gets (too) much of my business. They let me have the run of crawling through their basement (like an iceberg, more under than in the store) & have often been able to find some gems, especially ammo in the "buy it cheap, stack it deep" mode. We should probably all take an interest in the local sources, lest one day those "evil internet sellers" be made to go away.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 03-01-2018, 15:33   #14
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Not the same thing. You either sell cakes/guns or you don’t. Companies can’t pick and choose who to sell their cakes/guns to based on religious beliefs (Although I can think of one peaceful religion that should be put on the do not sell list). However, it does seem odd that companies are able to discriminate by age limits even when there is currently no law setting said limits.

LHC
100% in agreement with you: business transactions should be based on business decisions. I think SCOTUS will decide that CUSTOMERS cannot compel sales...get the black robes out from behind the cash register.

I didn’t realize that the activism of the 60’s created the desire to drop the voting age to 18 (26th Amendment), instantly creating a ton more Democrat voters.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 16:18   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I didn’t realize that the activism of the 60’s created the desire to drop the voting age to 18 (26th Amendment), instantly creating a ton more Democrat voters.
LMAO. About the time of that I'd been to Berlin & back from RVN and would soon be able to vote...

but couldn't yet legally buy a 6-pack. Now THAT was social injustice.