Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 11-13-2008, 12:31   #1
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Osteoarthritis knee bracing.....

Just started getting my first shot for my right leg,have done 3 shots on my left. They suggested I use on both legs OA knee bracing. Any one here ever used them and was it successful?

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 13:14   #2
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

PM inbound!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 14:19   #3
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Ostieo Knees

greenberetTFS, I'm Dave Boltz and as many of us, have pretty bad knees. Right is a rebuild and the left was scoped (tuned up). My knees were done in '81 and '82 and I retired under a rucksack as Team SGT. of ODA 585.
I retired from SF in 92 and went to school for Physical Therapy Assistant. I worked physical therapy for 16 years and am now retired due to a rare Brain cancer.

The best treatment I found for severe Osteoarthritis was Ultrasound to the joint line followed by 60 high speed reps of seated knee extension without resistance. Results are within 2 weeks. If you don't have access to an ultrasound machine then about 10 minutes of heat will do.
As to your question about bracing, I found a neoprene slip on reduces the pain enough to walk and work. A hard brace will allow your knees to weaken and the pains will increase.

Good luck with what ever you choose. Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 11-13-2008 at 22:45.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 15:47   #4
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Braces

Most braces are used for symptomatic treatment depending on the wear pattern of your arthritis. In our hands the most successful bracing has been for either medial or lateral compartment arthritis and that is with the use of an off loader brace. If your knee has medial compartment arthritis, bow legged, an off loader brace will push the joint line towards a normal alignment and unload the damaged compartment. The idea is to redirect the forces through the center of the knee. The brace requires a perscription and need to be fitted. Some patients love them, some hate the idea of wearing a brace. I tell my patients that bracing is cheaper and easier than surgery.
Good luck.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer-61 View Post
Most braces are used for symptomatic treatment depending on the wear pattern of your arthritis. In our hands the most successful bracing has been for either medial or lateral compartment arthritis and that is with the use of an off loader brace. If your knee has medial compartment arthritis, bow legged, an off loader brace will push the joint line towards a normal alignment and unload the damaged compartment. The idea is to redirect the forces through the center of the knee. The brace requires a perscription and need to be fitted. Some patients love them, some hate the idea of wearing a brace. I tell my patients that bracing is cheaper and easier than surgery.
Good luck.
Boomer-61,

Thanks for the feedback. I've completed my Visco shots and they haven't helped
so I really hope the knee bracing will. I'm waiting for the VA to contact me for my fitting........

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 12-05-2008, 15:18   #6
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

F/U

TFS,
How are those knees treating you with the visco supp on board?
Boomer
Old 12-06-2008, 02:26   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
TFS,
How are those knees treating you with the visco supp on board?
Boomer
Boomer-61,

The shots haven't helped me at all and yesterday I was at the VA to get fitted for my braces. They said they'll have the braces in about a month. Sure hope they'll help,all thats left as an option is the surgery which I'm not looking forward to thats for sure,
Thanks for the interest, I'll let you know after I get them and see how they work out...........

GB TFS
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52   #8
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Surgery

TFS,
I hope the braces work. I do have a friend and patient that has been wearing a brace for five years. He is not fond of the brace but is less fond of surgery. If if comes down to surgery, and I hope it doesn't, are you locked into the VA?
Boomer
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
TFS,
I hope the braces work. I do have a friend and patient that has been wearing a brace for five years. He is not fond of the brace but is less fond of surgery. If if comes down to surgery, and I hope it doesn't, are you locked into the VA?
Boomer
Boomer,

Yes I am. I'm on medicare but I didn't sign up for the supplement part. I only have parts A and B, so I would have to pay the difference on what ever medicare wouldn't cover. I really can't complain the VA has been good to me........

GB TFS
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 06-20-2009, 06:21   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Synvisc-One.......................

Quote:
TFS,
Boomer
Boomer-61,

Just got some new shots,one in each leg of a new product called Synvisc One (HYLAN G-F 20)............ It's one shot with triple doses of the shots that were required of 3 per knee in 6 weeks time. Now you can get 1 shots each knee that is suppose to last 6 months........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 06-20-2009 at 06:27.
Old 02-26-2010, 18:05   #11
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

New Braces for Knees..............

I just picked up my new braces available now at the VA..... They are much lighter,easier to put on and lock(only 4 straps with quick release latches)...If your wearing the older types,see if you can get this new model.... They take and keep your old ones(?) but these new ones are great to wear.....If you want more info just PM me and I'll try to fill you in as much as possible...........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 03-04-2010, 14:06   #12
BamBam
Quiet Professional

It's been about year since I had a total knee replacement, in my left leg. It takes about a year for complete recovery, but it has been a long time since my knee felt this good.
Old 03-04-2010, 15:05   #13
robert2854
Asset

OSTEOARTHRITIS

I.M 64 yoa and had three knee operations on my knees back in the 70's. I also had the knee shots9(cortisine or whatever) and my knees felt great for 5-7 days but then they felt bad after that. They felt bad for years and then in 2005 I had a knee replacement on my left knee and then on my right knee. They feel better now,but these knees are not near as versatile as the original ones. I feel like an old man, but it doesn,t hurt.
robert2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16   #14
BamBam
Quiet Professional

I am 60, don't feel like an old man, I go to the gym about 4 time a week, work out on the eliptical or tread mill for 45 minutes. The knee has some very minor limititations, but it is a lot better than before the replacement. I was on the motrcycle less than 2 months after the surgery.
Old 03-05-2010, 21:15   #15
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Was medically retired last year due to knees degrading beyond my ability to grit my teeth. Turned out I've ground off most of the cartillage under both knee caps. The army gave me 5 SYNVISC shots in each knee last spring with the hopes that it would help for 1-2 years. The stuff failed by September. Since the army wouldn't do any surgery I had to wait to get the VA to go in and do something. The VA scoped me, doing a lateral release and polishing up the underside of the left knee. The doc told me the rest of the joint looked pretty good except for my ACL. Turns out I tore roughly 80-90% in a freak parachute landing in August of '88. It was never diagnosed, even with 3 MRIs, until this operation. I asked the VA if they were going to fix the ACL. I was told no because the injury was too old and there was too much arthritis in both knees for a graft to work.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 03-05-2010 at 21:17.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote