Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 04-23-2019, 06:50   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Civilian Pre-Deployment Check list?

Scenario: about to go on a business trip and/or vacation

Who: Individual businessman or family

Where: OCONUS - not a war zone, but not Disneyland.

Questions:

Is there a pre-departure checklist of sites to check?
Is there an in-country checklist of daily do's & don'ts

Reason:

My kids are doing business all over the world, some 3rd world countries. #2 SiL almost weekly. #2 daughter & #1 SiL monthly.

They also visit family in multiple 1st world countries.

None have a military or state department background.

They are not linguist, so they rely on local business partners & family for local guidance.

Given the current problems in NZ, Sir Lanka, Paris, Africa (all of which they have visited multiple times in the last yr),,
I'd like to give them something to raise their awareness, without needing a case of Reynold's Wrap Aluminum Foil.

AS I am old-school, my 3x5 card presentation (pre-powerpoint) would probably run 3hrs with video. Looking for something like a 9-line card..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:05   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

The US State Department has the country briefs/advisories online. They cover a bunch of issues, but listening to the locals provide great benefits as well.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:58   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Agree with travel.state.gov.

We also monitor local in-country news outlets when possible before business travel - found some nasty stuff about local kidnapping/rape of a tourist (happened to be a Russian tourist - prior week) in a certain city in India wife was visiting on business which failed to make world news. This information upped her already heightened situational awareness when outside the hotel.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 04-23-2019 at 08:02.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46   #4
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

I'd like to help but I refuse to ever leave Texas again.....
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:18   #5
Light_Fighter
Quiet Professional

Use a VPN, never trust free WiFi/local cell network Here is a decent starting list. It's business focued, but applies equally to personal travel.

https://www.travelinsurancereview.ne...ty-guidelines/
Light_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 23:08   #6
G2squared
Auxiliary

FWIW,
I've used the state dept web site before for OCONUS travel a couple times. I was pretty oblivious prior to but checked because the Army "made me". It was an eye opener because the Army briefing I felt was a BS scare tactic. As US citizens, it's easy to be oblivious to the reality of what's happening in a country when we only travel in the protected areas of a foreign country. They often times want our tourist money and will avoid areas they feel will show the less desirable parts of their counties. If we're oblivious to our surroundings then it doesn't matter why we're there, we'll miss potential threats. State's web page gives an overview of issues and armed with that information I noticed a lot more, and it was obvious I was being sheltered from specific areas.
Not sure if this helps, but if you need to break it down "Barny Rubble style" or using the BIG CRAYOLAs, then this might do the trick. But the recipients have to be receptive to the information to begin with, otherwise it really won't matter how you try to get the point across.
G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:14   #7
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

JJ,

This SF-owned security consulting company has some articles posted on situational awareness and travel security that might be of interest. They are collected on the company's news page: https://adopcon.com/news
Old 05-04-2019, 05:21   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Thank you all for the input,

I consider the kids (actually in their 40t's ) as being above average in awareness, with their personal workspace security tight.

All three work in the GOV sector. One is involved with big boy toys, one with IT security infrastructure, and one with IT financial infrastructure.

With the bits added here, I'll feel a little better about their international travel space.

Again Thanks

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote