Roger that! Thank you for the lesson
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55   #32
Pete
Quiet Professional

WotW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayoftheWolf View Post
Roger that! Thank you for the lesson
People can find quotes from both sides of the issue that supports their view.

The key is who said it and what was the local reaction.

Here in this country some no-name preacher with a 100 member flock can say he's going to burn the Koran and a Shit Storm erupts. It's news everywhere around the world. Around the world Muslims riot killing many non-Muslims. The vast majority of people in the States are opposed to the act. Everybody's talking about it.

The links that we post quoting Muslims in the Middle East are not some dude at the corner Mosque.

The one in this post is by the equivalent of a senior leader in the DNC or RNC. Not an elected official but somebody high up in the party. There was no fire storm of opposition. I know this is a somewhat weak story but you can search back and find similar stories where similar high level individuals in government or political parties called for all kinds of violence against Jews or the west.

There is no moral outrage by the majority of the governed in a Muslim nation when leaders call for Jihad against Jews or the west. Do they agree? Disagree? Or "Hey do what you want"?

That is the point.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 13:16   #33
Richard
Quiet Professional

Pass out free 'Wicked Weasel' swimwear catalogs to all males under 25 and wait for the revolution to begin...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 13:20   #34
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Pass out free 'Wicked Weasel' swimwear catalogs to all males under 25 and wait for the revolution to begin...
I was not familiar with this company before this post. I thank you for sharing this with us all, Richard.

That is definitely a company and product I can stand behind, or in front of, or next to....just not in.
(grammar be damned on this one)
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 13:49   #35
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

QP Richard,
You are so evil in such a good way
Old 08-30-2011, 04:57   #36
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I would add Teaseum Bikini, Colleen Kelly Designs and Malibu Strings for a few other sites you may wish to sort through. Of course, that would be only so you could research high-quality, well-made swimsuits to get for the wife or significant other.

I mean, if you really want to piss the heathens off, go big.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09   #37
Pete
Quiet Professional

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
...........I mean, if you really want to piss the heathens off, go big.
Maybe you meant to say "go small"?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14   #38
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So, it is your opinion that it is worse to be oppressed by physical means rather than by psychological means. I would argue that we do have fashion police running around. The societal pressure for women to fit a certain image that results in body augmentation, bulimia, anorexia. Even products solely for this oppression have been developed for diet food, diet pills, and a whole bunch of workout equipement. The way I look at it is that we tend to look at everthing as black or white; put techinically, a binary system. So, Arabs are one end of the continum where they do not want their female members of the family to talk to the other sex because they know what can happen to the point that they are very controlling. On the other end, we have Americans who have all the freedom in the world. We can talk to whom ever we want; but, then have many ramifications from that. Out of wedlock births, single parent mothers, abortions, promiscuity, stds, a highly sexualized culture,etc. I feel if we continue to make value judgements we will never move forward.
Women that go out in public in Egypt in modern western wear (modest ) have a 50/50 shot of being called a whore, groped, or worse.
When we first went to Egypt, in the late 70's, the Egyptian Officers got mad because we wouldn't share our female soldiers with them because any female in uniform had to be a whore.
Women are property regardless of how they dress, hijab, western, whatever...they are property http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bePfSeh2ZDs
Sharia law backed by Quranic verse indicate a woman is worth 1/2 as much as a man. Her word, her life.
That is the issue...not comparing std rates, which, btw, are totally unreported in the ME. Mostly with the foreign workers raped by their employers. They are not Muslim so who cares.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09   #39
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Maybe you meant to say "go small"?
Yeah, you have a point there, Pete. Makes you wonder what the tensile strength of the dental floss or fishing line on some of those "suits" is.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37   #40
Sigaba
Area Commander

Does this post make me look bitter?

Quote:
Betty Friedan in the [first] wave of feminism wrote a book called, "The Feminine Mystique."
Quote:
Perhaps I am a confused feminist.
I think Mary Wollstonecraft would agree with you. Maybe also Marie de France. And Abigail Adams.

In regards to your admonishment that we cannot apply our value judgements to other societies and cultures, that argument is undermined by your contradictory use of Eurocentric terms (dark ages, enlightened) to define the Arabic world, as well as your use of reference points to establish a dialectical relationship between contrasting opposites. In some circles, this practice is known as Orientalism. (That is, the act of applying western frames of reference to foreign cultures demonstrates an implicit value judgement that one can be defined in terms of the other.)

And, by the way, not all iterations of feminism are contingent upon a duality. Some variants--for example those based in psychoanalytic psychology--posit that there's a spectrum of gendered identity and that this identity is in constant flux.

In regards to your broader point that since sexism is an international phenomenon we should not sit in judgement of people across the planet until our "house" is "clean," I question your intellectual commitment to a project that seeks to confront what is, hands down, the most persistent (and dangerous) of the four "isms" that the civilized world must confront if we are to prevail in GWOT.

On the surface, you use rhetoric to demonstrate your bona fides as a "feminist." Yet, in the same breath, you consistently use the very tropes that actual feminists rail against when they're trying to educate us to the enormity of this project.

Moreover, your metaphor of domesticity--an implicit call for a grand strategy centering around discredited notions of isolation rooted in late nineteenth century American populism--contradicts your belief that this is "not a zero sum game." The fact that one lives in a house that has issues does not mean that its residents can try to help neighbors down the street escape from their burning homes.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10   #41
WayoftheWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
In regards to your admonishment that we cannot apply our value judgements to other societies and cultures, that argument is undermined by your contradictory use of Eurocentric terms (dark ages, enlightened) to define the Arabic world, as well as your use of reference points to establish a dialectical relationship between contrasting opposites. In some circles, this practice is known as Orientalism. (That is, the act of applying western frames of reference to foreign cultures demonstrates an implicit value judgement that one can be defined in terms of the other.)
Agreed. But, how do I use orientalism without being labeled as culturally imperialistic? This is what I fear and my motivation for my writing.
Old 09-02-2011, 14:25   #42
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I really feel for the soldier fighting in the Mid East. Booze is forbidden, women are covered, and pork products are verboten.
I'll take Southeast Asia, any day. I would much rather be sitting on the beach with an ice cold Singha, a 19 year old hottie in a thong feeding me Pork Satay on a stick.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 14:58   #43
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Whaddya think they'll say about the new "Spec4's in Speedos" layout in next month's GI gay rag?
Old 09-02-2011, 15:42   #44
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I really feel for the soldier fighting in the Mid East. Booze is forbidden, women are covered, and pork products are verboten.
I'll take Southeast Asia, any day. I would much rather be sitting on the beach with an ice cold Singha, a 19 year old hottie in a thong feeding me Pork Satay on a stick.
She wasn't 19 and you know it
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 15:48   #45
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Agreed. But, how do I use orientalism without being labeled as culturally imperialistic?
Log on to www.snivelaboutworthlessBS.com. I'm sure they can answer that question.