Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29   #31
cornelyj
Guerrilla

BigBlue read these books and get back to me.

Peggy McIntosh, Unpacking the invisble knapsack

Troy Duster, Race and reification in science

Leith Mullings, Interrogating racism

Robert Williams, Documents of barbarism

Jane Hill, Language, race, and white public space

Karen Brodkin, Global capitalism: What's race got to do with it?

Laura Gomez, Off-white in an age of white supremacy

Martha Menchaca, Chicano Indianism

Mitzi Davis, et al., A fly in the buttermilk

They address the exact issues addressed in this thread and are an example of men and womens life work studying your "journey home"
... and yes I have studied Africa till I was almost blue in the face, and yes it was funny to watch Oprah's face as she was told she had no genetic ties to the tribe she donated over 4 Million towards....
Disclaimer- Some of these books you must put your own beliefs aside to see a certain argument or point of view. These books definitely opened my eyes and helped me understand your arguments and how you should better explain them and understand when people don't give a shit for a lack of better words. Do not take for granted the fact that you have the chance to read books or for that matter use the internet.
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 22:48   #32
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question You're "joking/kidding" right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelyj View Post
BigBlue read these books and get back to me.
You're a 22y/o in college student, never been in the military nor stepped foot on the continent of Africa.

Every bit of knowledge you are trying impart comes directly from a textbook, no real world experience, just words that you visually see and your mind conjures up thoughts on how it really is?

I didn’t read some textbook to tell me the country sucked! I got the full sensory stimulation by going and working on the continent of Africa!

So the next time you feel the need to give advice here; think first on who your audience is…

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 14:35   #33
lonepine
Asset

My dad was born and raised in Zambia, and his dad was born and raised in S. Africa before him, and I've only ever been in those two countries in Africa, so I can only talk about them as opposed to the rest of the continent.

The problem is not so much a lag between death and birth rates (although that certainly is a factor) so much as the growth in population has not led to a corresponding diversification of the economy. 19th Century England, for example, experienced a tremendous population explosion, but also witnessed the birth and growth of a whole range of new industries. In Zambia, the population exploded after Independence (1965), and, briefly, so, too, did the copper industry (and related industries), but once copper went to shit everyone just went back home and tried to farm. You can guess what happened.

The more important question is why didn't the economy develop? I'll admit for a while I succumbed to the temptation to believe that the West was responsible. After all, you drive through these places and the people seem so earnest that they can't possibly be at fault. No, the Western bankers who keep these countries in debt are to blame. And, to a point, that's true. If the nations were all relieved of their debt development would be easier, but it still wouldn't necessarily happen.

The problem, as a wonderfully Irish old nun working in an AIDS hospice in Zambia told me, is that Zambians (and, I imagine, many many Africans) are still stuck in the "Big Man" mentality. In the village, it was the chief, and he settled the disputes and things stayed more or less static. In the 20th century, it was the British, and they put the Zambians to work extracting natural resources. Now, the Big Man is the local despot, "president" or whoever greases enough palms to rule the country. The second example was unsustainable because people don't like being ruled by foreigners. The third example is unsustainable because, like in the village, nothing is growing except for the population. And that spells disaster.

Of course no one questions the "Big Man" because the tradition of the past thousand years has been to accept what the big man says. Call it a cultural phenomenon, mass delusion, or just stupidity, but until Africans learn to change their own mindset, they are completely f*cked.
lonepine is offline   Reply With Quote