Old 04-20-2007, 19:50   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Strategists UP!

So, libs want to pull out of Iraq. Most of them I believe support staying in A-stan. Have they thought this through? What happens in A-stan if we runaway from Iraq?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:18   #2
Kyobanim

A-stan gets a bunch more troops?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:22   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Which side?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-20-2007, 20:25   #4
brandonm
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
So, libs want to pull out of Iraq. Most of them I believe support staying in A-stan. Have they thought this through? What happens in A-stan if we runaway from Iraq?
All the insurgents from Iraq go to Afghanistan and it becomes the new Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
A-stan gets a bunch more troops?
I doubt those same Dems that want to pull out of Iraq would approve of sending those troops to Afghanistan. One of the reasons they want to pull the troops out of Iraq is to get the boys back home.

Basically, Iraq is THE warfront for terror right now. If we pull out of there it goes somewhere else. Afghanistan, Europe, United States... I don't know about you guys but as a future soldier I'd much rather fight and die for my country in Iraq than fight and die for my country in the U.S.
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:27   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Well, I'll say one thing for you Sluggo, you got balls....
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-20-2007, 20:29   #6
x-factor
Guerrilla

Let me preface by saying that I don't support pulling out of Iraq, but the argument (I would think) goes something like this:

1) Pulling out of Iraq allows us to focus our limited resources on a country where the population is more supportive of US/NATO troops on their soil...by extension, we can win definitively in Afghanistan (implicitly including capturing/killing of UBL and Zawahiri).
2) By pulling out of Iraq we rehabilitate our international image thereby renewing the US/European friendship, adding Arab support, and sapping the jihadist movement of its cause celebre.
3) Pulling out of Iraq also allows us to "reconstitute" the "broken" military.
4) Pulling out of Iraq will force the Iraqi government and populace to reconcile and the other countries in the region to assist in reconstruction, all out of their own self interests in avoiding a civil and/or regional war.

Bear in mind I think all of these are poorly reasoned and pulling out would be a disaster for everyone but Iran. However, if you guys want to work through the argument, I'm happy to play the RED CELL.

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:31   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Afghanis are not Arabs.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-20-2007, 20:38   #8
brandonm
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor
Let me preface by saying that I don't support pulling out of Iraq, but the argument (I would think) goes something like this:

1) Pulling out of Iraq allows us to focus our limited resources on a country where the population is more supportive of US/NATO troops on their soil...by extension, we can win definitively in Afghanistan (implicitly including capturing/killing of UBL and Zawahiri).
2) By pulling out of Iraq we rehabilitate our international image thereby renewing the US/European friendship, adding Arab support, and sapping the jihadist movement of its cause celebre.
3) Pulling out of Iraq also allows us to "reconstitute" the "broken" military.
4) Pulling out of Iraq will force the Iraqi government and populace to reconcile and the other countries in the region to assist in reconstruction, all out of their own self interests in avoiding a civil and/or regional war.

Bear in mind I think all of these are poorly reasoned and pulling out would be a disaster for everyone but Iran. However, if you guys want to work through the argument, I'm happy to play the RED CELL.
1.) May be true but we've been looking for Osama (possibly dead...) in that region for 6 years now and not much luck there. I doubt you'd want that war in Afghanistan either.

2.) I don't believe pulling out of Iraq will suddenly patch up any "damages" done to our international relations. In my opinion, it will just give Iranians and other Arab countries something to point to and say "See, the Great Satan can be defeated!" and could be a catalyst to more aggressive policies by Middle Eastern countries.

3.) Not sure exactly what you mean by this, please expound.

4.) Fair point, but from what I have heard and read the Iraqi security forces still have a way to go before they are capable of providing the security to prevent the country from falling into total chaos.
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 20:47   #9
x-factor
Guerrilla

Quote:
Afghanis are not Arabs.
I know. My bad, is should have typed that out better. The argument goes that a pullout from Iraq will boost support for the US among moderate Arabs, which will help us in Afghanistan and the GWOT in general.

Quote:
3.) Not sure exactly what you mean by this, please expound.
This is specifically the Jack Murtha argument that says that the military, especially the Army, is overdeployed to the point that our ability to project power and/or respond to crises elsewhere in the world is compromised. Therefore, pulling out of Iraq would allow us to rebuild the military and preserve our long term military superiority.

X

Last edited by x-factor; 04-20-2007 at 20:50.
Old 04-20-2007, 20:52   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

How will moderate Arabs help us in A-stan?

Murthra
"I can't issue you that because if somebody comes in and asks for it, I won't have it to issue to them."
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-20-2007, 20:53   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
How will moderate Arabs help us in A-stan?

Murthra
"I can't issue you that because if somebody comes in and asks for it, I won't have it to issue to them."
Murtha was an S-4?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 21:00   #12
x-factor
Guerrilla

Strengthening moderate Arabs ostensiby cuts off (or at least cuts down) the flow of foreign fighters to Afghanistan and potentially adds Arab more militaries to the coalition roster. In the long term it supports political reform in the Arab world which addresses the long-term problem.

X
Old 04-20-2007, 21:05   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor
Strengthening moderate Arabs ostensiby cuts off (or at least cuts down) the flow of foreign fighters to Afghanistan and potentially adds Arab more militaries to the coalition roster. In the long term it supports political reform in the Arab world which addresses the long-term problem.
Afghanis are not Arabs.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-20-2007, 21:11   #14
x-factor
Guerrilla

I'm not understanding your counterpoint. I was talking about Arabs vis-a-vis the foreign fighters in and funding for jihad in Afghanistan.

(Again, just playing Red Cell here.)

X
Old 04-21-2007, 00:12   #15
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
By pulling out of Iraq we rehabilitate our international image thereby renewing the US/European friendship, adding Arab support, and sapping the jihadist movement of its cause celebre.
History shows Countries that surrender don't fare to well. Even if they have excuses for surrendering.

We invade a country with a promise of a better life. During our stay there the infrastructure is obliterated. The going gets ruff. Then we pull out thinking it will rehabilitate our image Don't think other people don't see that the large majority of Americans are not even effected by this war yet. Think our image is negative now. The new image after abandoning Iraq will be that we are weak, easily defeated, never to be trusted again. There is no rehabilitating from that.
Our children's children will be living with the consequences. I don't see us swinging any big swords in the future if we leave Iraq without being pushed out first. It would be the biggest Roll Over and Piss on yourself move in history.