Old 11-26-2005, 15:37   #1
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

E & E Kit

Before I begin, I'd like to say that my wife gave birth to a healthy, 5 lb., 13 oz., baby boy last night! Our first...so I'm overjoyed.

Now onto business...

I've been thinking of re-organizing my E & E bag. Thought I'd pull from the pool here and see what others have/want in their kit. Searched the forum and didn't find an E&E specific thread. Please advise if one's out there already/remove this thread.

To keep this simple in concept yet challenge our minds, let's say you have the following guidelines to follow:

1.) We'll say the bag itself is roughly: 10" H x 11.5" W x 5.25" D.

2.) You can ONLY choose 12 (seems like a nice even figure) pieces of gear, any gear you'd like/think is a MUST have during E&E.(Take into acct the gear you would already carry on your persons and concentrate on E&E.)

3.) For all intensive purposes we'll say that this is the kit to beat all kits. So, this is THEE kit you will assemble to deploy with and employ anywhere/anytime, and must be adaptable to multiple situations and environments.

I know what I put in my E&E bags depending on a given AO. Reason I started this thread is because that in the past I've tried to build an all-purpose E&E kit, and then go over scenarios in my mind afterwards, coming to find out that I always wanted to add a couple pcs. here and there.

My intentions for this thread is to see what we come up with. When limiting the pcs. of kit to 12, it forces us to think of necessary and invaluable pcs. of gear that are versatile and can serve more that 1 purpose. Thus allowing you to keep the overall kit fairly light, compact and user friendly when you have to get out of dodge in a hurry.
SOC Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 15:47   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This would seem to be a spin-off of the "Survive!" thread.

We are going to stay off of the classified portion of E&E here.

What do you have on you when you grab the bag? Weapons, ammo, clothing, 1st line/2nd line gear, etc.

Where are you conducting this op (denied, permissive, arctic, desert, woodland, etc.)?

How long do you need to live out of the bag?

Do I have to run with it, lay up and wait, or move long distances?

Why am I in an E&E mode (enemy action, vehicle crash, natural disaster, etc.)?

Are we fighting from the bag, living in the jungle, having to patch up crewmates, building an igloo, what?

Need more info to limit it to a dozen man-portable items.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 17:59   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Without the answers to T.R.'s questions I would start with a rabbit's foot and a magic wand. Maybe a tube of invisible cream to boot.

OOPS!! The cream may be classified.

BTW: My "Scoot bag" consisted of what was on my LBE and in my pockets.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 18:11   #4
jatx
Area Commander

Okay, I understand that you are asking for a "generic" packing list, while TR has pointed out the necessity of packing for a more limited set of contingencies. As a civilian, this bag might spend most of the time stowed in your car, but should be light enough and discrete enough to carry along if you choose. If I were to prepare such a bag for my own use, I would probably be envisioning its use during

1. Natural disasters
2. Civil disturbances
3. Vehicle accidents
4. "Lost in the woods" type scenarios

I would probably choose a well-organized daypack or messenger's bag in a dark, non-mil color.

The "Survive!" thread has many suggestions for a kit of essentials that could fit in a thigh pocket or small tin. Because I don't usually wear trousers with thigh pockets, though, I won't treat those items as "first line" per se. I will count that kit as one item.

The key things I need to be able to do in the above situations are:

1. Handle common injuries
2. Stay warm
3. Stay hydrated
4. Defend myself
5. Keep moving

So, to add to the bare essentials in the survival kit, i would add:

1. Space blanket - low bulk; useful for preventing shock in injured people; good at retaining body heat; useful as a shelter; possible use as signaling device (shiny side)

2. Go-Lite tarp - waterproof and light; sets up and breaks down quickly; also useful for making a litter if necessary

3. Mioxx water filter - covered elsewhere on this site; very light and compact; can be used to sterilize a wound

4. Nalgene water bottle

5. Collapsible trekking poles - greatly lessen fatigue over long distances; decrease chance of injury if uneven footing

6. Dry socks in a ziploc bag - in same bag enclose copies of DL, CHL, passport, insurance card, key credit card and phone numbers

7. LED torch w/ strobe function

8. Four extra 10 rd. CMC mags for my 1911

9. Lightweight, packable rain shell

10. Leatherman Charge multitool (not usually on my person)

11. Large bag of Pemmican - low nutritional value but lightweight and much better at staving off hunger than energy bars

Now that I've made myself a big, juicy target, I'll quiet down and let the QPs tear this apart.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 18:21   #5
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

You are still basically talking of a survival kit. E&E can be very different. If you have escaped and are evading you may have nothing. Not many detention centers allow E&E kits.

Survivsal is geographically dependent. As an example, in Alaska we were rewuired to have an artic sleeping bag with us at all times even if the temperature was 70+. Weather changes so fast. I once saw it go from +35 to -40 is the space of a few hours.

Believe it or not but handle of the USAF Survival knife had most os the essentials for surviving and navigating.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 20:35   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Concur with everything TR listed, plus a lot is going to depend on your own particular skill sets, experience, and situation and how they may play in whatever scenario you are contemplating. What works for or is carried by one of us may not work for others right down to and including your ability to pass for someone other than who you actually are in appearance, manner, and ethnicity. I'm assuming your E&E kit has nothing to do with your desire to get out of town to avoid changing diapers
Old 11-26-2005, 21:58   #7
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
Concur with everything TR listed, plus a lot is going to depend on your own particular skill sets, experience, and situation and how they may play in whatever scenario you are contemplating. What works for or is carried by one of us may not work for others right down to and including your ability to pass for someone other than who you actually are in appearance, manner, and ethnicity. I'm assuming your E&E kit has nothing to do with your desire to get out of town to avoid changing diapers
Agreed Jack, TR wanted some general info. I can appreciate that.

Nothing to do with diaper changing, although I may have to put together a kit to cover all baby-borne contingencies! So far it's the best thing that's happened to me by far though.
Old 11-26-2005, 21:52   #8
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
This would seem to be a spin-off of the "Survive!" thread.

We are going to stay off of the classified portion of E&E here.

What do you have on you when you grab the bag? Weapons, ammo, clothing, 1st line/2nd line gear, etc.

Where are you conducting this op (denied, permissive, arctic, desert, woodland, etc.)?

How long do you need to live out of the bag?

Do I have to run with it, lay up and wait, or move long distances?

Why am I in an E&E mode (enemy action, vehicle crash, natural disaster, etc.)?

Are we fighting from the bag, living in the jungle, having to patch up crewmates, building an igloo, what?

Need more info to limit it to a dozen man-portable items.

TR
1.) I came across that while I was researching this topic. This thread should focus more on E&E gear, but I hope it draws as much thought and debate as that one.

2.) Agreed. This should be on kit, not tactics. But remember, what you learn at SERE should directly affect the items you choose to put in your bag for E&E.

3.) BDUs, a riggers belt, boots, a cap of sorts (boonie, baseball, nightwatch...whatever as long as its a soft-cap), a plate carrier w/SAPIs, a .45sidearm and 3 full mags, a chest rig with 4 full M4 mags...but NO M4, cans, a flashlight, a knife, and a pair of sun glasses.

4.) Varying terrain. Sporadic villages throughout, open desert in the S with high AM and low PM temps, valleys with vegetation and moderate AM/PM temps in the middle and high-rocky mountainous area from the NW to NE with moderate AM temps and freezing PM temps. There is snow at the higher elevations in the NW to NE. Let's say you're in the NW to NE part of country

5.) An unspecified amount of time. Sorry, you don't have the liberty to choose the exact time/place of extract as no one knows this event occured and what your situation is as of yet. Take this into account when choosing your pieces of kit.

6.) You should be prepared to do all of this with the bag.

7.) Could have been any of these scenarios, bottom line...it's attracted attention of hostiles in the immediate AO and they're now moving to contact. The bag is all you have time to grab before beginning E&E.

8.) Again, you should be prepared to do all of these things to succesfully E&E. You are alone.

I hope that is enough info for you TR, and anyone else whom wishes to take part in this think-tank if you will.