Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 07-26-2010, 18:00   #1
Foot Drill
Asset

What are you currently doing to prep for SFAS or SFRE

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:40.
Foot Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 18:58   #2
CommoNCO
Asset

I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.
CommoNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoNCO View Post
I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.
Good prep.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 20:15   #4
youknow
Asset

Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.

So much to do, so little time in the day
youknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 20:26   #5
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknow View Post
Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.

So much to do, so little time in the day
Young man, you best get your intro posted yesterday and your profile up to date before The Reaper and Team Sergeant double team your non-instruction following 4th point of contact. You are a no-go at this station, you had best learn to follow the instructions you are given if you want to Get Selected.

What part of "your first post goes in the intro thread" is not clear?

Move out and correct your oversight.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 07-28-2010 at 20:29.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:34   #6
furry
Asset

Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.
furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:51   #7
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have
Hmmm...

LHC
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 17:18   #8
CommoNCO
Asset

Furry - I see a lot of crossfit types, and a lot of gym jones guys, and a whole lot of other very fit Special Forces Soldiers around my work on a daily basis.

Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.

I can max 2 events in my APFT. My run keeps killing me. But when my alarm goes off every morning, the message on my screen says that "SFAS won't wait for me." So I get up, do what the book says, and drive on - knowing that the same Soldiers that are deployed with me SEEING my workout - are saying that it's the right call - so I must be doing something right.

As a matter of fact, I've yet to see the MAJ chime in with a post or a chapter that says to talk shit on the internet, so i'm gonna end it here and get back to listening.
CommoNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:06   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have
Did you also stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Old 08-04-2010, 18:50   #10
EasyIan
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoNCO View Post
Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.
+∞

Ian
"The truth is I do not lose, however if it appears I have lost do not concede to the idea. It is merely a diversion that I may win with minimal effort while my enemy and his allies celebrate victory.”
EasyIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:53   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.
furry:

Not to be rude or blunt, but let me break it down for you.

I would save the advice dispensing for those who have actually attended SFAS and SFRE. Especially since it seems to be based largely on "what you heard". You are the guy who cannot get a contract without a med waiver because of his injuries, correct?

Frankly, the only way your opinion of the prep would have any validity would be based on having attended, and hopefully having been selected. You have not demonstrated the experience at the specific drills required that would affford you the latitude to dispense expert opinions without it. If you get into the Army, go to SFAS and get selected, complete the SFQC and maybe work there for a while, then you can write your own work-out prep book.

As a demonstration, the Major completed SFAS as a student using his own workout program. He subsequently commanded SOPC and his students set a record for the highest SFAS selection rate ever, after following his PT prep program.

Have you done anything like that?

FWIW, you will not be selected if you show up for SFAS and merely refuse to quit. We send large numbers of non-selects home after every class. There is a direct correlartion between APFT scores and selection as well. Look it up.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 20:10   #12
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Apparently some of you dont read the archives here.

To piggyback on my Brothers above comments, if you havent attended and been SELECTED at SFAS do not dispense advice on how to prepare for SFAS...

In the event you dont understand the above, DO NOT talk out of your ass...

Questions...

Go do PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 21:12   #13
Aceshigh
Asset

I'm down with the yoga

Right now I'm rucking at a 13:30-14:00 minute mile pace for 8-12 miles on flat terrain.

I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).

In the gym I've started doing some of the more unorthodox exercises, just in case I end up having to do something with a log .

I've stayed pretty true to the plan outlined in "Get Selected" to great success so far (roughly 35 days).

On Foot Drills suggestion I started 1 hour of yoga 3 times a week and it has done wonders for my recovery time.

Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 23:50   #14
furry
Asset

I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.

I've seen a lot of ad hominem attacks on myself, but little in the way of discussion of the actual contents of my training methodology. Do I think Get Selected outlines a training regime that will work, and demonstrated an improvement in selection numbers? Of course. I also went out of my way to express great respect for the Major. But I have never believed in the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." We should always seek to expose the weaknesses of any system and work to improve it. Complacency is the enemy of progress, no?

I personally know men from all areas of SOF who have used the methodology I'm describing, including senior SF NCOs, and have had some in depth discussions with them on this front. For example, since introduction of this type of training at Phase II of BUD/S there has been a dramatic decrease in injury related drops, with no sacrifice in standards.

No, I have not been to SFAS, and I would be (and am) the first to give great weight to what any individual who has has to say. However, I don't think it fair to assume that just because someone has been through that specific pipeline they have a stranglehold on training methodology. I do have valuable experience and knowledge of my own as it pertains to training for and moving fast in the mountains on all types of terrain (some of which is what you all call "rucking," I call it "the approach"). Thus I think it is unfair to say I am "talking out of my ass." I was forthcoming about where I have and have not been (SFAS) because I wouldn't want someone to take my advice believing anything otherwise.
furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 00:06   #15
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Furry,

GET SELECTED is the conversation we would have if you and I sat down and had a detailed discussion about preparing for SFAS. I had this conversation with several Soldiers who had asked me long before even getting involved with the SOPC program.

Perhaps you missed the section of the book, where I said this is what worked for me. If you have the same conversation with any other SF Soldier and ask the EXACT SAME questions, you'll get different answers. BUT, over time, as you ask more and more, you'll find similarities.

And then you should go TEST what works for you.

Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.

Best of luck.
WM

"The views expressed in this post are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy
or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government."
- From Army Regulation 360-1, Paragraph 6-8 (2)

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 08-05-2010 at 00:08.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote