Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 10-22-2007, 15:55   #16
x-factor
Guerrilla

I worked on this mission (intel support to the planning) when I was in Afghanistan, though I rotated home before it was executed.

First, without getting into the specifics, I think it bears emphasizing that just attempting this mission took tremendous courage. These men went knowingly and willingly into a lion's den in the service of their country. Every second was a conscious act of bravery.

Second, this was the first time I'd ever lost someone on an operation I worked. Even at that very shallow level of relation I felt a personal sense of loss. I can only imagine what you men must feel when a brother-in-arms is lost. God bless you all for bearing that burden.

RIP LT Murphy

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 16:55   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Rest in Peace, LT Murphy.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 21:58   #18
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
"Attention on deck!"

A fine display of Naval tradition and an outstanding job.

Good on you and Godspeed, Sir.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 16:27   #19
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

A very good website.:

It shows a video of the MOH flag presentation to Lt. Murphy's parents. Many other things as well.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/nmc.html

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 22:52   #20
weasel
Asset

Poems

Been reading Marcus Lutrell's book and in it he takes a quote from Bango Patterson's "Man From Snowy River" to describe his beloved friend "Murph".

The poem is about bravery in the face of all odds. I think there is an equally poignant description of his friend and the terrain he died in serving our country further into the poem and it goes like this;

"...When they reached the mountain’s summit, even Clancy took a pull,
It well might make the boldest hold their breath,
The wild hop scrub grew thickly, and the hidden ground was full
Of wombat holes, and any slip was death.
But the man from Snowy River let the pony have his head,
And he swung his stockwhip round and gave a cheer,
And he raced him down the mountain like a torrent down its bed,
While the others stood and watched in very fear.

He sent the flint stones flying, but the pony kept his feet,
He cleared the fallen timber in his stride,
And the man from Snowy River never shifted in his seat —
It was grand to see that mountain horseman ride.
Through the stringy barks and saplings, on the rough and broken ground,
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went;
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound,
At the bottom of that terrible descent.
..."

"a cheer" in this context is like "hooyah". Defiant to the last. And "stood" is used literally meaning frozen to the spot.

There is another poem used in Australia to remember the fallen and its ingrained in children like the pledge of allegiance is in the USA

"They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning,
We will remember them..."

I will certainly be teaching my children to remember you Lt Murphy and thank you Marcus, for writing the book and making me aware of the story.

RIP Lieutenant and God's strength to your family and friends.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf man from snowy river.pdf (23.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-05-2008, 15:50   #21
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In Peace Lt Michael Murphy. Well done!!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 21:05   #22
x SF med
Quiet Professional

RIP, LT Murphy. Blue skies, Calm seas.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49   #23
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

Luttrell on TV

It's good that Luttrell is out there doing the legwork to bring the story of America's fighting men to the public. This program can be viewed online, as well as this Sunday at 10 pm.

2007 Texas Book Festival: Marcus Luttrell and Brandon Friedman on the War in Afghanistan

http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?P...=&PlayMedia=No
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 16:03   #24
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

R.I.P. Lt and Thank You.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 00:35   #25
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

2011 class gift: Lt. Michael P. Murphy/Penn State Veterans Plaza

2011 class gift: Lt. Michael P. Murphy/Penn State Veterans Plaza
Tuesday, November 2, 2010

University Park, Pa. -- Penn State's Senior Class Gift Committee announced today (Nov. 2) that the class of 2011 has chosen its gift to the University: The Lt. Michael P. Murphy/Penn State Veterans Plaza.

Seniors so far have pledged more than $34,000 to the campaign, which will create a plaza that honors Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a 1998 graduate of the University and the only Penn State alumnus ever to win the Medal of Honor, and all other Penn State veterans. Lt. Murphy, a Navy Seal, posthumously received the U.S. military's highest decoration for his actions in 2005 during the war in Afghanistan.

More than 2,800 seniors cast their ballots last week, in person and online, to vote for one of three gift proposals.

"The Lt. Michael P. Murphy and Penn State Veterans Plaza will fulfill a long sought-after addition to the landscape and tradition of the campus," said Benjamin Witt, a senior in biology and the Senior Class Gift Committee overall chairperson at the announcement. "Our plan is to pay fitting tribute to Penn State veterans and our only Medal of Honor recipient with dignity and gratitude for their contributions to the University and to our country. I know students and alumni alike will support the development of such a meaningful plaza."

The two other proposals on the ballot were the Penn State Alma Mater Display, and the “Old Willow” Tree at the Arboretum and Trustee Scholarship. The gift selection committee chose the three finalists from more than 60 submitted by members of the University community.

“Penn Staters have bravely served in the military dating back to the Civil War, and the University now has the largest ROTC program of any non-military institution,” said Penn State President Graham Spanier, who accepted the gift on behalf of the University. “This class gift is a wonderful tribute to our veterans, and the plaza also will serve to beautify a prominent campus location and provide a functional gathering space.”

The funding for the class gift comes from seniors pledging all or a portion of their general deposit or making cash gifts. The University holds the $100 deposit during a student's time at Penn State and uses it to cover unforeseen expenses, fees and emergency costs.

The 2011 Senior Class Gift Committee includes Benjamin Witt (overall chairperson), Ryan Hartnett (communications chairperson), Sharon Rose (marketing chairperson), Geoff Halberstadt (gift development chairperson), Vanessa Gruver (fundraising chairperson), Jackie Boyland (student relations chairperson), Michal Berns (campus outreach chairperson), and Robin Beltrani (events chairperson).

The committee is presenting a Hall of Gifts from Nov. 2-6 on the ground floor of the HUB to showcase the history of some of Penn State’s most well known class gifts. PSUSeniors.com, a blog by the Senior Class Gift Committee to help their peers stay informed about senior-year events and Penn State traditions, will follow the progress of the class of 2011's gift. Students and faculty also are encouraged to follow news about the class gift on Twitter at PSUSeniors.

The tradition of class gifts began when the class of 1861, at its reunion in 1890, gave the University a portrait of Penn State's first president, Evan Pugh, which still hangs in the lobby of Old Main. For more information about Penn State's senior class gift program, visit http://www.seniorclassgift.psu.edu online.

http://live.psu.edu/story/49567

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 00:47   #26
Stingray
Guerrilla

LT Michael Murphy, MOH Recipient

Rest in Peace Lt. Thank you for your service Sir.

Sincerely,

"In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance, My head is bloody, but unbowed." William Ernest Henley
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 15:16   #27
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior..............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46   #28
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Memorial Day Murph

In case you're looking for something to do on Memorial Day this year.

http://memorialdaymurph.com/

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 21:04   #29
RC-Cola
Asset

A truely inspiring man. Set the standard, LT. Rest in Peace.
RC-Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 14:54   #30
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire View Post
A very good website.:

It shows a video of the MOH flag presentation to Lt. Murphy's parents. Many other things as well.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/nmc.html
TW,

Missed this first time around,excellent post.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote