Old 01-20-2014, 23:46   #1
paywandslemani
Asset

VAANG and WVANG

I'm currently finishing up my last couple months of school. I am in the process of enlisting. I live in Virginia. I took the ASVAB and scored a 100 on the GT, but I need a 110 to get a SF contract. I will retake the ASVAB once more before I enlist. If I do not get the score I want, I would have to enlist and retake the test while I'm in and ask for SF after at least 18 months. Right now my choices are joining the Virginia Army National Guard as a 11B and try to bring my score up while I'm in and ask for a interstate transfer after 18 months. My other choice is joining the WV Army National Guard as a Combat Engineer and then asking for tryouts after 18 months with the 19th group. Does anyone have any advices or tips. Any information would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I am improving on my PT and studying for the ASVAB.
paywandslemani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31   #2
booker
Guerrilla

Enlisting in the WVNG will make the transition, should you get the opportunity, to the 2/19 training team much smoother than interstate transfer. I did the interstate transfer route and there were hoops to jump through due to the push for unit retention, etc.
Old 01-22-2014, 22:52   #3
paywandslemani
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
Enlisting in the WVNG will make the transition, should you get the opportunity, to the 2/19 training team much smoother than interstate transfer. I did the interstate transfer route and there were hoops to jump through due to the push for unit retention, etc.
I was thinking of the same thing. The unit is like 3 hours from me but I don't mind the drive. Only benefit of the Virginia National guard is that the unit is 5 mins away from me. Seems like the WV National Guard will be better in the long run.
paywandslemani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 18:38   #4
MrClean
Asset

Secure the contract

The easiest way to determine your path in the Army is with a contract. I would strongly suggest getting anything you would want listed in the contract. Remember the Army is drawing down, so shop around for a good recruiter who will help find what is best for you.

Good luck to ya.

On a side note, if you don't get the 18x contract, 11C is also fun
'War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.' John Stuart Mill
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote