Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Counterfeit CAT

Apparently there are a lot of these floating around in country...it was explained to me that by "countefeit" it is inferring that they may not work correctly.

CAT (Gen III)

http://www.coalitiontacticalmedicine...mallerfile.pdf

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 13:27   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Apparently there are a lot of these floating around in country...it was explained to me that by "countefeit" it is inferring that they may not work correctly.

CAT (Gen III)
Are the troops buying the E-cat on eBay or is some turd sneaking them through the supply channels??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 14:09   #3
Snaquebite
Area Commander

From what I was told the military is not buying them. But they are appearing as a result of online purchases etc by indviduals and PSCs.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:23   #4
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Avoid the Stormtroopers...........Got it!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05   #5
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post

CAT (Gen III)

http://www.coalitiontacticalmedicine...mallerfile.pdf
When you say they don't work, is that different from the real ones, that don't work correctly, or break?

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:15   #6
DDD
Quiet Professional

They do not work properly. The windlass (stick) bends before adequete pressure is achieved. At least that is my understanding after reading a report on them, I haven't gotten a chance to lay hands on one yet.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 14:57   #7
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
They do not work properly. The windlass (stick) bends before adequete pressure is achieved. At least that is my understanding after reading a report on them, I haven't gotten a chance to lay hands on one yet.
yeah that was my point. The CAT sucks and I refuse to use em. I have heard to many first person accounts of them breaking from people I trust to them.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46   #8
98G
bonum medicina malis locis

CAT

The PDF referenced at the beginning of this string is pretty comprehensive and explains the differences between the old CAT, current CAT and fake CAT.

Basically, if you have a red tip CAT, it works.

The fakes I saw were found in Afghanistan and traced back to a company in Hong Kong that makes airsoft equipment. So they are designed not to work and cheap. But they are also designed to look just like the old CAT, so a chance to save money and risk lives. Not good. PM me if you have any questions on the ones we saw.

DMMPO has put out a warning and the description provided by Snaquebite.

The two easiest things to spend; someone else's time and someone else's money.
98G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 20:33   #9
sofmed
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
When you say they don't work, is that different from the real ones, that don't work correctly, or break?
Of course there is the issue of OPERATOR error. In my extensive experience downrange, yes, I spent more time than I care to admit applying CATs...
The major problem with most folks is that they rely solely on the windlass to apply the pressure, when in fact the strap portion being cranked down as tight as you can absolutely get is is the key. This places LESS stress on the windlass when you do turn it a few times, and there will be fewer instances of "equipment failure" occurring.

I prefer the SOF-T to the CAT anyhow, and make sure it is on our order list instead.

I will, however, make sure to pass on the word concerning the fake CATs. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mick

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote