Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-02-2014, 06:44   #1
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Maryland property taxes to increase by 67%

I'm really hoping that after Owe-Malley leaves office, he quits politics. I cannot find a web link that states specifically the aforementioned percentage, but I heard it right out of the horses mouth yesterday during a radio interview with the MD Comptroller. Here is where he discusses the shortfall MD has had regarding estate tax income:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore....html?page=all

So in other words, dear Gov is stating: '"Time to pound sand you middle class jagaloons, this state is for us rich folk"

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12   #2
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

A few years ago, Indianapolis witnessed a property tax hike that lasted long enough for numerous properties that were held by low income families (for generations) to fall into tax seizures. The properties were then purchased by developers for a "steal", renovated, and sold after the tax rates returned to the "pre-pillaging" levels.
The brief tax change drastically changed the culture of the near north and east sides of Indy.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Maryland property taxes to increase by 67%
"Property" taxes - or capital gains and estate taxes?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:13   #4
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
"Property" taxes - or capital gains and estate taxes?

Richard
Property taxes. The comptroller stated on the radio that to make up for the shortfalls from overall tax revenue, the next governor needs approve a 67% property tax increase which will be proposed next year. He didn't state over how long this increase would be implemented though. I can see where the disconnect occured from the link I posted which discussed the decline in collected CG&E taxes. That was the only link I could find discussing MD's shortfalls which is what they are using as an excuse to raise the tax.

ETA: Here are a couple links to the podcast of last nights show (which was repeated this morning on Mornings on the Mall):

Link 1: Actual podcast (the increase is discussed at 11:05)

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_...5093&f=3418973

Link 2: Page where podcast is located in case you can't directly link to the podcast. Click on "Drive at 5 10.1.14": Same video time, 11:05

http://www.stationcaster.com/station...=AM&cid=15093#

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 10-02-2014 at 09:38. Reason: Links
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:33   #5
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

I believe there is a perception that we have a Constitutional right to own property. After your house is paid off, see how long you can keep it by not paying rent to the government in the form of property taxes.

I know an elderly couple that bought a small house in Seattle on a lake costing them about $5k back in the day. They were forced out because they couldn't afford the rising property taxes on a retirement budget and now rent an apartment.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:12   #6
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Typically property taxes are decided by a mil rate set by the county. I lived in several places were property taxes increased by a 300%-400%+ within a few years ( Aspen CO, Boulder CO, Highlands NC). It is a bit of a gripe that it is the new influx of people to an area, the subsequent development ( high end), and a constraining mechanism like green belt, national forest, or boundaries of a municipality that usually drive that train. There can be mechanisms for relief like homesteading in some places, this often is 10 years in your primary residence and an age criteria which then qualifies you for a property tax relief. There are good governments and bad ones in different areas, property evaluations and tax rates are certainly indicators of which one you have.
I am not familiar with Maryland.
Dean is so right about private property and taxes.
If you think the property tax system is bad take a look at homeowner associations in Colorado...they can be little dictatorships with certain laws in place they can and will take your interests.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 10-03-2014 at 08:52.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:57   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
I believe there is a perception that we have a Constitutional right to own property. After your house is paid off, see how long you can keep it by not paying rent to the government in the form of property taxes.
I agree 100%. We live 100% off grid and receive NO County or State services. We pump our own water, generate our own electricity, and maintain our own (and BLM's) road for 1/4 mile. We don't have 911 service (they don't know where we are). A house about a mile and a half from us caught fire last year and it took the fire department 45 minutes to get to it. And that house was on the map, we are not (Well, Google Maps found us, but no one else has yet and we've been here just shy of 3 years.) I led UPS to our place but FedEx has yet to find us and leaves packages at the highway gate 1/4 mile away. So what the hell are we paying for? A Sheriff Deputy found us by accident one morning, but he was lost and looking for someone else.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:52   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Indian reservation residents, RV dwellers, squatters, and those who don't mind their house eventually being sold at Tax Certificate public auction are the only folks I can think of who don't pay a property tax.
Renters.

At least, not directly paying property tax on a home.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:03   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Indian reservation residents, RV dwellers, squatters, and those who don't mind their house eventually being sold at Tax Certificate public auction are the only folks I can think of who don't pay a property tax.
That means that I am not a land owner; I have to pay rent to the feudal landlord. That's un-American and probably unconstitutional.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 10-03-2014, 19:00   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
If you pay for the holding of land in the form of service instead of currency, then yes, I'd say you're living under a feudal system.
Not sure what you mean here. We owe nothing on anything. Where is the currency? If we sell it, then we would owe a capital gains tax if a gain is realized. Until then, it's none of their affair.

Quote:
I hear RV City in Huachuca City is a fine dealer.
Got one in the garage.

Pat

Old 10-03-2014, 19:52   #11
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
His time in the Valley was limited anyway, he'd said, because the neighborhoods and people had changed so much in the way they related to one another.
Correct. Have lived next to San Bernardino for a long time and have watched the changes over the years. Things started getting bad after Norton AFB closed in the mid '90s. The local economy lost millions of dollars after that happened. Being that the city is basically broke taxes and other revenues are probably going to get even worse. The fact that he is caucasian, an American citizen and has capital was reason enough to leave.

Last edited by mojaveman; 10-04-2014 at 06:07.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 23:10   #12
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
I'm really hoping that after Owe-Malley leaves office, he quits politics. I cannot find a web link that states specifically the aforementioned percentage, but I heard it right out of the horses mouth yesterday during a radio interview with the MD Comptroller. Here is where he discusses the shortfall MD has had regarding estate tax income:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore....html?page=all

So in other words, dear Gov is stating: '"Time to pound sand you middle class jagaloons, this state is for us rich folk"
I wonder if Maryland is going with property taxes since property can't move.......like say millionaires that could move, and apparently did:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB124329282377252471
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:44   #13
Box
Quiet Professional

...look on the bright side

It's not 100%
yet
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:40   #14
pcfixer
Guerrilla

http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr...s-in-maryland/

Quote:
Formally known as HB 987 or the Stormwater Management-Watershed and Restoration Program, the “rain tax” – passed by the state legislature and signed into law on May 2, 2012 – was in response to a 2010 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandate aimed towards reducing the pollution levels in the Chesapeake Bay. While the EPA’s $7.7 billion project called on the seven surrounding states to pass legislation recommendations contained within the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report, Maryland is currently the only state to have actually listened to the federal agency.
So now we are targets for taxes!

Quote:
So what exactly is the “rain tax,” and who must pay it?

This tax is an annual fee on impervious surfaces such as roofs, driveways, sidewalks, garages, and any other surface that could create drainage problems and water contamination situated on property owned by an individual or a business. However, the tax is not applied to every city or county in the state.

In fact, only nine counties (Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Charles, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George) and the city of Baltimore – out of twenty-four total counties in Maryland – are responsible not only for paying this fee, but their local officials must determine and set the dollar amount their constituents will pay. This leaves the aforementioned jurisdictions with 10 different “rain tax” rates. For example, Charles County levies a flat fee of $43 per property, while Montgomery County has fee rates ranging from $29.17 to $265.20 depending on size of impervious surfaces.
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02   #15
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe Nevada charges property tax. They get all their revenue from gambling. Not sure about Florida.