Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-18-2014, 11:31   #1
dennisw
Area Commander

Life on the other side of the looking glass

Bernie Sanders, United States Senator for Vermont, is so afraid of the Koch Brothers he included this warning on his website:

What Do the Koch Brothers Want?

Quote:
As a result of the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court decision, billionaires and large corporations can now spend an unlimited amount of money to influence the political process.
Perhaps, the biggest winners of Citizens United are Charles and David Koch, owners of the second-largest privately run business in America Koch Industries.

Among other things, the Koch brothers own oil refineries in Texas, Alaska, and Minnesota and control some 4,000 miles of pipeline.
According to Forbes Magazine, the Koch brothers are now worth $80 billion, and have increased their wealth by $12 billion since last year alone.
For the Koch brothers, $80 billion in wealth, apparently, is not good enough. Owning the second largest private company in America is, apparently, not good enough. It doesn’t appear that they will be satisfied until they are able to control the entire political process.

It is well known that the Koch brothers have provided the major source of funding to the Tea Party and want to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
Blah, Blah, Blah

He goes on to list the radical agenda of the 1980 Libertarian party and if you’re interested please see: http://www.sanders.senate.gov/koch-brothers

Due to the SC decision on Citizens United and the myriad of bad press focused on the Koch Brothers, one would think they and large corporations are paying enormous sums to sway national and state elections to their way of thinking. If we listen to the constant noise provided by the 4th estate, the Koch Brothers and big corporations are hell bent on robbing us of free elections. However, when you’re on the backside of the looking glass nothing is, as it seems.

The following website lists the top political contributors from 1989 – 2014.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php It’s hard to believe that the Koch Brothers are 60th on the list with total political contributions of $20 million which is $12 million less than Emily’s List which has only been in existence since 1985.

During the same time period, unions have contributed $780 million, more than 39 times what the Koch Brothers have contributed.

For me, one of the most surprising names on this list is ActBlue, which was created in 2004. During the period in questions, they contributed more than $121 million to Democratic candidates and causes. Most of the contributions went to ActBlue Technical Services. The following website lists their contributions and expenses. http://www.campaignmoney.com/politic...ices.asp?rpg=2

As a side note, their website banner shown in the attachment contains very little information. However, with hundreds of millions of dollars at their disposal, you think they would be able to spell peek correctly. I digress.

Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 9.54.02 AM.pdf

Like most issues in America today, the noise you hear is nothing but a distraction. When you look at the facts, it’s completely opposite of what the mainstream media wants us to believe. I'm not sure when we went down the rabbit hole, but the view is very distorted.
Old 10-18-2014, 18:32   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Thanks for the links & a couple rabbit holes to go down.

He probably needs to file a Hurt Feelings Report with Soros & Gates since the conservative side collections threaten to out-strip them. The subject of the Koch Bros' net worth is a major search engine hit right now, so they seem to be spouting the same message from many corners. Which boils down to an age-old regurgitation of spinning up class warfare. The donor rolls look like traditional Unions vs. Capitalism.

Saw Univ of California system in there (staunchly Dem). I wonder how many U's cry for more money each year so they can donate to partisan political causes?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 20:18   #3
cbtengr
Area Commander

I have been in 12 different states in the past 14 days, is there a state that the Koch brothers are not trying to buy the election in?
Old 10-18-2014, 20:35   #4
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Remind him that the Koch's donated $25M to the UNCF (United Negro College Fund) because they are racists and want to turn all black people into Republicans.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 21:31   #5
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

The Koch brothers are apparently evil boogeymen. I don't even know who they are, but they sure have a lot of power somehow.

North Carolina is being blitzed with political advertising, and the pro-Hagan anti-Tillis advertising accuses the Koch brothers of spending "millions" to support Tillis.

Now, I'm no genius and I don't know all about political campaigns, but I'm pretty sure that the Koch brothers can't give "millions" to the Tom Tillis campaign.

That being said, and being blitzed with the BS on a daily basis, I'd like to see ONE ad that exalts ANY accomplishment from Kay Hagan's tenure, instead of only 'Tom Tillis is bad.' One thing, Kay. ONE THING. What have you done for America?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:54   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
...Koch Industries... revenues of around $100 billion...
Thanks. Reminds me that one of the major ways of manipulating the political message is to grab the most useful figure that supports an outrageous claim. Pervasive tactic throughout most campaign attack ads; demonize vs. putting forth an apples/apples comparison (both sides do it). Corporate annual revenues are seldom the same as individual net worth, even for the HMFIC.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 14:12   #7
dennisw
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Thanks. Reminds me that one of the major ways of manipulating the political message is to grab the most useful figure that supports an outrageous claim. Pervasive tactic throughout most campaign attack ads; demonize vs. putting forth an apples/apples comparison (both sides do it). Corporate annual revenues are seldom the same as individual net worth, even for the HMFIC.
The demonization, I believe, serves more than one purpose. Just like the IRS spilling the names of donators to what may be considered non-politically correct causes, they want to make an example of the Koch Brothers to ward off others who may also contribute to conservative causes. They will scrutinize their businesses and their lives, publishing sensitive details, using every means available to make them uncomfortable( whether or not it is legal) in order to send a message. These folks are playing for keeps, and the phrase "fair play" is not in their dictionary.
Old 10-19-2014, 15:20   #8
rubberneck
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I have been in 12 different states in the past 14 days, is there a state that the Koch brothers are not trying to buy the election in?
Probably all the same states the felon Soros is busy trying to buy for the Dems.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote