Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 11-02-2023, 10:15   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

11th Group Beret w/ "half-flash"

Can't attest to veracity but received this news item in a Soldiers Systems Daily newsletter. Some might find interesting or comment on how common that was. Just have never seen such a thing before. From the article (pic attached):
Quote:
You might find something odd about the Green Beret worn by Army SP4 Keith Campbell. He’s wearing what was known as a Recognition Bar for the Army Reserve’s 11th SFG(A) which was deactivated in the early 90s.

Frequently referred to as a "candy stripe" or “half flash”, Recognition Bars were worn by non-Special Forces qualified personnel (generally support troops) and those conventional units assigned to a Special Activities Force (SAF). These troops wore Green Berets while assigned to SF units with the “candy stripe” located below the rank or insignia. “Candy stripes” mimicked the same design/colors as accompanying beret flashes. Replaced in 1982 when the full flash was required to be worn by all personnel serving in Special Forces. Originally cut from beret flashes, they were later manufactured by themselves. The "Candy stripe" would be worn under the insignia or officer rank. This practice continued until the authorization of Special Forces branch and the award of the Special Forces sleeve "long tab" tab. Today, only Special Forces-qualified soldiers may wear the Green Beret. Each Special Forces Group has its own unique beret flash, which is worn by all members assigned to the unit; Special Forces-qualified soldiers wear it on the Green Beret while enablers wear it on the Maroon Beret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB-half-flash.jpg (86.2 KB, 16 views)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 22:50   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

It was very common quite awhile ago...when I went thru training Group we wore a white 'bar' flash until graduation (then the SWTG had an all white flash).

The Full flash, back then , indicated a qualified SF soldier. Also known and a 'candy stripe'. The tab is the deal now and support troops wear a full flash on their Maroon (not green) Berets.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:08   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Back in 69, the candy-stripes were de rigor for non-qualified SF.
At that time, I'm pretty sure you were either qualified or in training.
There were no "support" slots.

Here are some pics from the Nantahala Forest FTX, Fall 1969.

Well aged, but if you squint, you can see myself and others with candy-stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept69_FtB01.jpg (112.2 KB, 37 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-03-2023 at 07:10.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:20   #4
CSB
Quiet Professional

https://www.professionalsoldiers.com...ad.php?t=43643

Do a search for "Candy Stripe" and you will find many examples and explanations.

The name came from the slang name for hospital volunteers, young ladies who wore red striped dresses.
They were called "Candy Stripers" (NOT "Candy Strippers!" ) because they wore the distinctive red striped
dress so they were not confused with real nurses.

Non-qualified soldiers assigned to a Special Forces unit wore the stripe instead of the "Full Flash,"
which was reserved for the fully trained and qualified soldiers.
If the soldier was assigned to the 7th Group, the stripe was solid red,
lending an even more direct reference to a "Candy Stripe."

Also known as "Striker Bar" from the resemblance to the "striker" on the side of a box of matches, but officially
called a "Recognition Bar" in the Army Regulations.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:42   #5
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Back in 69, the candy-stripes were de rigor for non-qualified SF.
At that time, I'm pretty sure you were either qualified or in training.
There were no "support" slots.

Here are some pics from the Nantahala Forest FTX, Fall 1969.

Well aged, but if you squint, you can see myself and others with candy-stripes.
Ah…OD Jungles and boots….we were still wearing those at Benning in the mid eighties. (The younger troops wanted to wear the stuff our first sergeants wore back in the day.)
Old 11-03-2023, 11:54   #6
bubba
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987 View Post
Ah…OD Jungles and boots….we were still wearing those at Benning in the mid eighties. (The younger troops wanted to wear the stuff our first sergeants wore back in the day.)
Hell, I was still wearing Green Jungles when I went to Selection in 2002….. I think I still have a pair…

I was “blessed” with narrow feet, so got lucky and found bunch of new ones on the shelf at a surplus store outside of Campbell. I think I paid like $30 per pair?

Best damn boots the Army ever made, so of course they got rid of them.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 17:02   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
https://www.professionalsoldiers.com...ad.php?t=43643

Do a search for "Candy Stripe" and you will find many examples and explanations.

The name came from the slang name for hospital volunteers, young ladies who wore red striped dresses.
They were called "Candy Stripers" (NOT "Candy Strippers!" ) because they wore the distinctive red striped
dress so they were not confused with real nurses.
Thanks sir for the add'l info in the link. The latter description (a specimen of which I dated) was the only candy stripe I was aware of.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote