Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 05-17-2020, 18:49   #1
7624U
Quiet Professional

See any problem with this 18E's ?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-man-suit.html

The goal is to give operators the same capability they have with commercial smartphones in the United States while they are operating anywhere in the world, said Lisa Sanders, director of Science and Technology for Special Operations Forces, Acquisition, Technology & Logistics.

"If I move from a particular partner nation that I am working with or a particular area of the world to another area of the world, I want the same ability that I would have back in the United States at my duty station in my forward location," she said. "It may not be a tactical network; we may be looking to leverage what is available commercially in an area of operations. ... Why would we want to go to a commercial network? Because maybe that is what the partner that we are working with is on, and we need to be able to communicate effectively with them."

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:24   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

The old days were pretty nice when nobody knew where you were unless you told them.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:02   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
What she is talking about is SkyNet/SkyLink

Seriously, We (the world) need to move communications off the telephone pole to satellites.

Until such time as it's all moved we need a combo system of local networks and secured mil-spec satellites.

Because the "local" copper system is NOT,, the "secured" would need to be built into the handheld, but this is doable now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet

Skynet is a fictional artificial neural network-based conscious group mind and artificial general superintelligence system that serves as the main antagonist of the Terminator franchise.

In the first film, it is stated that Skynet was created by Cyberdyne Systems for SAC-NORAD. When Skynet gained self-awareness, humans tried to deactivate it, prompting it to retaliate with a nuclear attack, an event known as Judgment Day. John Connor forms a human resistance against Skynet's machines in the future, which include Terminators, and ultimately leads the resistance to victory. Throughout the film series, Skynet sends various Terminator machines back in time to try to kill Connor to ensure Skynet's victory.
The Muskrat is already putting up a system to eliminate the copper system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elon Muskrat, Owner of SkyLink

Starlink is a satellite constellation being constructed by SpaceX[2][3] to provide satellite Internet access.[4][5] The constellation will consist of thousands of mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO), working in combination with ground transceivers. SpaceX also plans to sell some of the satellites for military,[6] scientific, or exploratory purposes.[7]

The total cost of the decade-long project to design, build, and deploy the constellation was estimated by SpaceX in May 2018 to be about US$10 billion.[13] Product development began in 2015, with the first two prototype test-flight satellites launched in February 2018. A second set of test satellites and the first large deployment of a piece of the constellation occurred on May 24, 2019 UTC when the first 60 operational satellites were launched.[2][14] The SpaceX satellite development facility in Redmond, Washington, houses the Starlink research, development, manufacturing, and on-orbit control operations.

As of April 22, 2020, SpaceX is targeting a private beta service in the Northern U.S. and Canada by August 2020 with a public beta following in November 2020.[15] SpaceX is launching 60 satellites at a time, aiming to deploy 1,584 of the 260 kilograms (570 lb) spacecraft to provide near-global service by late 2021 or 2022.[16] However, these are only internal projections and not set dates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Sanders, director of Science and Technology for Special Operations Forces, Acquisition, Technology & Logistics
The goal is to give operators the same capability they have with commercial smartphones in the United States while they are operating anywhere in the world.

I suspect Ms Sanders has talked to the Muskrat??
Is Ms Sanders related to The Bern?

My $00.000002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:06   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Off the top,

Couple of things that we see, and we are seeing CONUS with LTE Broadband. Ubiquitous coverage is expected (not even going to get into the exponential increase 5G requires). Terrestrial and space-based networks have dead spots at the micro level even in Western metropolitan areas. The NOC isn't going to show them on a map but operationally you'll find them. Pushing that much computing with near-real-time data consumption and some form of AI to increase fidelity in decision making requires a network that is dang near ubiquitous with "5-9's" availability and reliability. So if your macro network coverage can be suspect, then you have to have mobile edge-computing to increase speeds and allow for off-network functionality if you lose macro.

Next, you have to power it all. Disposable batteries? How many of those do you need and are there batteries small enough to fit a mobile device that will run that much processing? A 5,000 mAh rechargeable battery MAY do the trick depending on the load requirements but then you're dependent upon electrical power to recharge whether you're generating it in the field or plugging into commercial power.

Then there is maintenance and life-cycle. Current mobile tech has an obsolescence rate of about 3 years whether that is just marketing (you gotta have the latest and greatest phone that looks exactly like the one you have) or technically with OS updates and processor speeds. These devices don't get repaired, you just toss them so how much does a rugged "whatever" weigh and how current is the tech inside it going to have?

DoD mobile device and OS approvals tend to be a few iterations behind so what's the chance of having a ruggedized, cutting-edge, edge-computing device with very high processing speeds and surreal battery life in an environment with a high throughput, reliable, available and resilient mobile network?

Sure

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:22   #5
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, so much for not giving your correct grid coordinate correctly on you ANGUS report anymore...."they'll" always know where you are...
Old 05-22-2020, 05:36   #6
JimP
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Well, so much for not giving your correct grid coordinate correctly on you ANGUS report anymore...."they'll" always know where you are...
OK, that's damned funny. and true.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:40   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

deleted
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43   #8
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
ANGUS report that's such a outdated concept. Better to send a Whatsapp text with your selfie (unsecured of course) then everyone will know your exact location no need to not keep in-touch with all your fiends and co-workers when on the big mission.
While your at it send a tweet shout out to the president during execution

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 05-22-2020 at 10:46.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 19:26   #9
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Ubiquitous coverage?

Anyone who thinks that there is ubiquitous cell coverage (never mind LTE or 5G) in the USA needs to get a little further off the Interstate.
We live on a boat - cell coverage is OK when you're in town at the marina, and not bad in those big harbors - but if you get a little further out, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I keep thinking I should put an antenna up on top of the mast at 67', but I'm told that is no panacea either.

Back when we lived in Arizona , it wasn't hard to get away from cell signals at all - once you get away from the cities and Interstate highway. My experience in rural Maine has been similar.
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:29   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
Anyone who thinks that there is ubiquitous cell coverage (never mind LTE or 5G) in the USA needs to get a little further off the Interstate.
We live on a boat
WHERE U R - It does make a difference.

I have mentioned in the past, in the Florida Keys after hurricane Georges in 98', there was a series of comm towers(300 ft?) erected, able to sustain 250 MPH wind loads. The hight gave us cell service offshore for 30 miles. Unfortunately, this was a rather unique setup.

It now looks like they have instigated Keys Wi-Fi using the same tower system.

http://keyswifi.com/locations.html

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote