Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 09-08-2010, 05:19   #46
DWALT2510
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Drill View Post
4 miles: 29:18
4 miles:28:48 ( shaved a few seconds off, stiff headwind coming back )

6 miles: 45:08

Good base line run times for me to improve on. Did my 4 mile on Thursday and my 6 mile today. I felt better on my 6 mile run than I did on my 4 mile due to the 6 mile ruck the day before my 4 mile run.

If you're planning on running for known distances for time I highly recommend using this site, http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/, to plan your routes. This website was mentioned in another thread but is so helpful that I thought it would be worth mentioning again.

IMO, I prefer www.mapmyrun.com. I looked at the USATF website, and it was a little harder to navigate than map my run.
DWALT2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47   #47
Eli
Asset

I have been using the plan in "Get Selected." I am two weeks into the program, and love it. My company had an APFT today, and I increased my APFT score by 16 points to 295.

I was using Stew Smith's Ranger Workout as prep, but 4 weeks into that program I felt overtrained. The program in "Get Selected" provides enough recovery while also giving you something to train on every day not only physically, but mentally and land navigation as well.

I am gonig to the Octoboer class, and I feel that I will be sufficienly prepared physically, mentally, land nav wise, and spiritually (which I think also counts).
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 16:33   #48
Elder
Asset

Good Luck Eli, and Blessings.
Old 11-06-2010, 19:22   #49
Quixote
SF Candidate

I've been doing Crossfit, APFT specific workouts, and rucking. Has anyone checked out the rucking information here? It popped up on a google search.

http://hi-in.facebook.com/topic.php?...072&topic=6747

It looks like it was written by the same Air Force SSG. who wrote out the 4 month plan for the MilitaryTimes. I'm not sure how to take what he says, as there are a lot of counterintuitive ideas (particularly the load he recommends there and the exactly 25s 100m sprints).

Last edited by Quixote; 11-06-2010 at 20:19.
Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 14:33   #50
spherojon
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I've been doing Crossfit, APFT specific workouts, and rucking. Has anyone checked out the rucking information here? It popped up on a google search.

http://hi-in.facebook.com/topic.php?...072&topic=6747

It looks like it was written by the same Air Force SSG. who wrote out the 4 month plan for the MilitaryTimes. I'm not sure how to take what he says, as there are a lot of counterintuitive ideas (particularly the load he recommends there and the exactly 25s 100m sprints).
And if you really really really wanted to you could always check out Stew Smith, (http://www.stewsmith.com/). But I am a huge fan of the PT area on this forum, a lot of info is covered there regarding fitness.
Old 11-21-2010, 23:42   #51
Retread
Asset

Have been in a holding pattern for over a year, so...

I was initially supposed to leave for SFAS last March, but due to some paperwork hiccups, I am in a holding pattern. Hopefully I will be getting there soon, it looks like.

That said: 'Get Selected' is an excellent baseline. Start there. I have done the whole workout program twice now. I have also been using Stew Smith's 'Ranger/SFAS Prep handbook' with great results. I also did SEALFIT for a few months.

The workout in Get Selected is a good place to start, because it gets you into the minimum shape you need to be in to be successful at SFAS. If you get to the point that you can complete the workouts as prescribed with relative ease, it's time to mix it up.

SEALFIT is great for core strength and endurance, but doesn't do enough for long-distance runs or rucking. If you are going to do that program, you need to add extra running and plenty of rucks. It is also very easy to over-train on this program.

About the best balance I think I've found so far is Stew Smith's book. It has something like 16 or 20 weeks of workouts planned in the back, with plenty of long-distance runs, rucking, sprinting, and swimming planned in. That's not to say I don't do a Crossfit or SEALFIT day every now and again for the benefit of the Olympic lifts and such, but it's a good program if you don't like to or don't have time to plan out a balanced PT/ruck regimen.

As the guys on here have been saying, time and time again: There is no substitute for time under ruck. The two biggest PT events you will have to make are the 6 mile run and the 10 mile ruck. That's AFTER scoring high enough on an APFT with pullups. You will also be doing forced marches and transition rucks from place to place. Not to mention Team Week.

If what you are doing doesn't focus on those areas, you are setting yourself up for failure.

One final note: One of the things I have been trying out lately is short, heavy rucks while wet from the knees down. Maybe once every two weeks. It has shown me very quickly which areas of my feet aren't hardened up enough yet. Ruck weight on these is around 65-70# dry, for about an hour max. Otherwise I start one week at 35# dry, twice a week, then 45# dry, then 55# dry, then back down to 35#. I cycle these to help build up pace speed, and try to avoid breaking myself down. I'm currently at 12 miles in 2hr 45min. My goal is 2hr 30.
Old 11-22-2010, 18:55   #52
Dalik
SF Candidate

I'm doing TRX, for upper body, core and muscle endurance. Run about 20-25 miles a week. Need to peak up on rucking. Working out by Stew Smith's programs. Just ordered "Get Selected".
Thank you all for your input. Stay SAFE!
Dalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 00:25   #53
yellowbelly52
Asset

SFAS Prep

I am currently following a program that I mixed together from a few different places. It envoles rucking, APFT related stuff, and running. After I get this program down I will be adding TRX to the plan. Bellow is what I am doing on a weekly basis.

Running:
Wk Mon Tues Weds Thurs Fri Sat
1 1 mile Ruck March 1 mile Ruck March 1 mile Ruck March
2 2 miles Ruck March 2 miles Ruck March 2 miles Ruck March
3 Elliptical Ruck March Elliptical Ruck March Elliptical Ruck March
4 3 miles Ruck March 3 miles Ruck March 3 miles Ruck March
5 2 miles 3 miles off 4 miles 2 miles Ruck March
6 2 miles 3 miles off 4 miles 2 miles Ruck March

Ruck Marching:
*35-50lb ruck
Tuesday Thursday Saturday
1 Hour 1 Hour 6 Miles

Muscle Endurance:
Starting on Tuesday
Push-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (10 to 15 sets of 20 reps)
Sit-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (five to 10 sets of 40 to 50 reps)
Old 11-23-2010, 05:19   #54
deepheart
SF Candidate

SFAS

Right now I am doing the daily operator sessions on militaryathlete.com. I am overseas right now and not scheduled to return until around the middle of next year. I also spend time walking around my site with a ruck to become accustomed to it and will eventually incorporate some of the selection prep programs that have been mentioned to include TRX, Get Selected and the militaryathlete.com Selection Prep Program. August/September is the time frame I am currently looking at for SFAS.
deepheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07   #55
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Guys:

You can do all of the high speed programs and take all of the supplements you want, but those beach muscles will not be required at SFAS.

You need to be laying down miles running and with the big green tick on your back. Your feet need to be tough. I would not advocate running or rucking in wet socks and boots for practice.

Being able to do well on a strictly graded APFT, pull-ups, and a good rope climbing technique will cover most of the rest of it.

Don't overthink it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:08   #56
MightMonkey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepheart View Post
Right now I am doing the daily operator sessions on militaryathlete.com. I am overseas right now and not scheduled to return until around the middle of next year. I also spend time walking around my site with a ruck to become accustomed to it and will eventually incorporate some of the selection prep programs that have been mentioned to include TRX, Get Selected and the militaryathlete.com Selection Prep Program. August/September is the time frame I am currently looking at for SFAS.
I'm currently down range on a FOB without a lot of options, but it's been pretty easy to adapt the Get Selected workout to my use. I just put my IBA with a combat load of ammo on it and my ACH in a ruck, and it's weighing in at 50lbs. I'm usually stuck on the side of the road, so I'm getting used to rucking with speed on uneven terrain, around bushes, over pipes, etc. The rifle with mag adds another 10 lbs, but it's slung across my chest and not an optional item out here, just more of an adapt and overcome item. I get weird looks rucking around the base, but eh.

With that, a pull-up bar, and a few basic weights I've managed to cut down excess weight while dropping my rucking times and my mile time. I try to get one outdoor event a day (ruck or run), and a lighter treadmill run indoors at night. Once we run out of daylight out here it's no bueno to run/ruck outdoors.

The best thing I've adapted is from the SFAS advice thread. I've been doing my push-ups nice and slow (2 seconds down, 2 seconds up) with excellent form. The number of reps are slowly building, but after a few sets I can feel it. It burns more than just knocking them out, but at least I feel confident that I can maintain form when it counts.

And when I return to the land of the big BX it'll be easier to cross-train with swimming, more weights, etc....
MightMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 23:03   #57
Kryptek62
Quiet Professional

preperation

Rucking.... running.... more rucking.. more running... with kettle bell training incorporated for upper body strength.... do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...

thanks
Kryptek62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 23:07   #58
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...
'Borrow' ( ) or buy some. If you're waiting on the military, you'll get your PPT briefing tomorrow to prepare for the amphibious assault of Veracruz.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 14:21   #59
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgsmith View Post
do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...
Towel pullups are a good alternative. The heavier weight the towel the better...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:43   #60
chaosjackal
Asset

Location: Clarksville, Tn (Currently residing in Afghanistan)
I have just finished my month of conventional weight lifting and I plan on starting the Blitz workout. I also alternate my rucking days. One day I will have atleast 60 pounds in my ruck and I will walk around the rocky area on our HLZ so I can work on the conditioning on my feet. I usually try to go for atleast an hour to two hours depending on mission. The next day I will have around 45 pounds in my ruck and I will stick to the sides of the HLZ where the mounds of dirt are piled up. I try to go as hard as I can for as long as I can, usually averaging around an hour and a half.

I figure with the eight months that is left in this deployment I will be in pretty good shape. My goal is to do atleast one twenty miler before going home if the mission cycle will allow.

After two weeks of rucking I am going to switch off and do an IBA run one day and a regular run the next. This isn't the most original work out routine but I believe the more simple it is then the easier it will be to adjust when something is not giving me the results I believe I should be achieving.

Last edited by chaosjackal; 12-28-2010 at 13:53.
chaosjackal is offline   Reply With Quote