Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 17:37   #16
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilpyl View Post
Thank you, Crip. Exactly the answer I was looking for.

I hadn't thought to until you mentioned it. And, upon looking it only states running shoes. Although, I may be looking at an older edition. It was the most up to date one I could find with google-fu.

Thank you for your insight. That helps me out immensely.
So what part about running shoes don't you understand as per AR 670-1?
What makes you think that you can wear a piece of equipment that is not authorized in the Regular Army at SFAS? Look Stud, as a SPC these are things that you should be able to figure out on your own. You should take heed to the advice already given, and move out smartly.

CH
Old 01-08-2011, 20:26   #17
GrumpyMedic
Quiet Professional

I normally don't post because there are too many guys on here who can and do say it better but here's my thought.
THE NAIL THAT STANDS UP GETS HAMMERED!
SF (hell being a soldier for that matter) is about conformity and teamwork. I may not like one of my brothers but if he's suffering my happy @ss is going to be right there with him. Period.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:13   #18
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMedic View Post
I normally don't post because there are too many guys on here who can and do say it better but here's my thought.
THE NAIL THAT STANDS UP GETS HAMMERED!
SF (hell being a soldier for that matter) is about conformity and teamwork. I may not like one of my brothers but if he's suffering my happy @ss is going to be right there with him. Period.
Well, I don't think anyone could have said it better tonight.

Stop worrying about the gear you will take and start preparing for the real challenges that await you.
Old 01-08-2011, 22:59   #19
Lmmsoat
Asset

VFF

I agree with the rest of the guys, you will need to run in sneakers for the PT test so you might as well train in them. It's been a while since SFAS, but I remember throwing away 6 pair of winter wool socks (the big fuzzy white ones), after admitting they were not unit issued. I still have strong feelings about a particular cadre who made me throw $35 of socks in the dumpster (FFI). I would hate for you to show up to SFAS and be told you have to run in your sneaks.

I also like the five finger concept, but I think too many people have read books like "Born to Run" or going with the fad. Yes the human foot was designed over thousands of years to function "o-natural", but you must remember your foot has been walking on soles with elevated heels for your lifetime. Run five miles in sneakers and then the next week run five miles in VFF. See which is faster. Unless you have been into the barefoot running scene for a few YEARS you will be slower.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10   #20
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Thank you TR.
I'm kinda puzzled here,I thought SF questions were supposed to be answered by QP's only!...............

Big Teddy

Special Forces Questions

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Team Sergeant

"Speed, Surprise & Violence of Action"
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 01-09-2011 at 06:37.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:20   #21
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilpyl View Post
Hello Gents,

Since being stationed at Fort Carson I have become a member of the VFF cult in the area.

Chris
Somebody reprogram this soldier before he hits NC.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24   #22
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

You might try the New Balance 101. Minimalist trail running shoes that don't look that much different from other trail running shoes.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/desc...S-NB101GH.html

I just ordered a pair myself. I'm not a barefoot runner but I figured I'd see what all the hype is about and give it a go. (Previously I've gone the opposite route and had the running store employee video my footfall to see what shoe 'corrects' it.)

Google to find discount codes for 15% off at Running Warehouse. Brought the price down to $56 shipped. (with free return shipping if they don't fit.)

Caveat Emptor -- I don't know if they'd be allowed at SFAS. There used to be a "no black running shoes" rule that might come into effect. But you will get less scrutiny from the 1SG at your present company than you would with VFFs.

Last edited by Leozinho; 01-09-2011 at 08:27.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42   #23
GhostRSA
Asset

As You Can See...

If you have a look at this photograph (apart from the insane dog) you can see that the soldier who is part of 10th Special Forces Group is wearing five fingers. At first I thought he just had really dirty feet but if you look at his left heel you can clearly see the Vibram Five Fingers!

http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/n...-RR679-717.jpg

GhostRSA
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51   #24
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRSA View Post
If you have a look at this photograph (apart from the insane dog) you can see that the soldier who is part of 10th Special Forces Group is wearing five fingers. At first I thought he just had really dirty feet but if you look at his left heel you can clearly see the Vibram Five Fingers!

http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/n...-RR679-717.jpg

GhostRSA
And that photo has what to do with SFAS?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58   #25
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
And that photo has what to do with SFAS?
Or better yet,, much to do with jumping in the water and putting on flippers!!!

Go do 200 flutter kicks...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43   #26
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I'm kinda puzzled here,I thought SF questions were supposed to be answered by QP's only!...............

Big Teddy

Special Forces Questions

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Team Sergeant

"Speed, Surprise & Violence of Action"
Teddy, just saw this post and wondered why you quoted me and then admonished QPs only?????

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:08   #27
Dozer523
BANNED USER

This is like dealin' with my kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmts58 View Post
[url]http://armypubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRoadtrippin View Post
Just a "heads up," you should be leaving Q's in the "Special Forces Questions" section to
okay, THIS one's funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
I'm not a QP . . . .
Then according to the rules of THIS (SF?) forum everything should have gone via PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBlack View Post
VFF were being used when I . . . I remember . . . To bad . . .
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRSA View Post
As you can see. . . If you have a look . . .
Stop. Read that stickie.

Didn't I say Don't do that? why are you still doing that?

Last edited by Dozer523; 06-18-2011 at 10:19.
Old 06-24-2011, 17:41   #28
Sonic03svtCobra
Quiet Professional

Hey when you earn a tab, and decided to do a Helo cast with a man eating K9 you can wear five fingers. till then follow the packing list.
Old 06-24-2011, 17:58   #29
wet dog

I have often prayed that this thread would either go away, or end up in the comedy zone. Now I look forward to when it surfaces and comments about Five Fingers only results in a slap down by a QP to someone who can not read or follow instructions.

Long before Five Fingers, soldiers wore Teva's on deployment. Not just a splash at 8 ft AGL with a dog that obviously was tossed, (ok, maybe he jumped), and a soldiers who was only going out the door with a BC and sun screen.

Bet there was beer, hot dogs, wives, kids and family waiting at the beech.

So all the new guys waiting to start SFAS, wear whatever you want, please.

Tell the SFAS committee Cadre that "Wet Dog said it was ok!"

Trust me, you'll be fine.

Last edited by wet dog; 06-24-2011 at 23:12.

Old 06-24-2011, 22:32   #30
Sonic03svtCobra
Quiet Professional

I didn`t get beer or hotdogs, only a pulled pork sandwich. and yes I tossed him, wish that picture never got released.

Last edited by Sonic03svtCobra; 06-24-2011 at 22:38.
Closed Thread