Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 01-26-2007, 21:55   #61
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndtrooper
I actually roomed with a graduate of the BUD/S program in 82. He was gigged almost every single day for his appearance. Ironically in a strange twist of fate I dated his former wife just 4 years ago. (I'll spair the details) Although his career is much longer and distingished than mine.

That couldn't happen again in anyones lifetime.
I was stuck with 14 of them. I didn't date their wives.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 23:40   #62
x SF med
Quiet Professional

NDD - did you get your blood wings from SSG Outlaw (big American Indian, though, I guess, smaller than you, now that I think about it)?

For me, it wasn't the 2 little holes, it was the bruises on the chest and ribs getting chipped by the pins, that really hurt. When everybody in your stick took a shot after the ceremony, that really sucked.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:16   #63
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I was stuck with 14 of them. I didn't date their wives.
your restrain was commendable...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 15:02   #64
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
The request for, or issuance of "blood wings" is grounds for termination from the training program and loss of jump status.
I saw a couple prior-cycle kids show up at my basic unit to get blood wings from their old drill sergeants. I imagine that, like so many things, it's an issue of getting caught. Unfortunately, Airborne Walk at graduation is probably a hard place to avoid getting caught. I imagine I'll hear about this policy in the next three weeks.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 17:30   #65
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Guys:
Just wanted to share this with you. June 1st, 2006, I got to pin my wings on my son when he completed jump school. I received them 36 years ago when I graduated. When my son had the wings mounted in a shadow box, the guys at the trophy store in Columbus said those were really old wings. You should have seen the look on their faces whan my son told them they were mine and how old they were!
Nothing like tradition. I've never been to jump school, but when I finally got my crew qualification, my father gave me his first set of Enlisted Aircrew wings which I wore until I got my Senior wings.

When our new guys get crew qual'd, we give them bloodwings. Of course, it's done behind closed doors for the same reason; we were told we'd get our asses handed to us if we were caught.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48   #66
KSC
SF Candidate

My father was there to pin my wings, unfortunately his first set is long gone. I did the next best thing and had mine framed for him. Maybe one day I will get to know how it feels and reclaim my first wings from him for my son. MAYBE a while from now my two year old girl will grow to wear some wings... Hopefully I can talk her out of that.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05   #67
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandycpa
Very cool picture, Colonel.

Beats me why you guys want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Must be an acquired taste.

Bandy

Brandy: My first jump (and 3 of the remaining 4) was made from a Korean War vintage C-119 "Flying Boxcar" transport. That plane you couldn't wait to jump from. On our first takeoff, as the plane was rolling down the runway, you could see the wings flex up and down. I turned to the guy next to me and said "This plane's going to have to flap faster if it wants to get off the ground"! That cracked up everyone within hearing and really broke the tension.
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:27   #68
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

Here's a vintage picture (salvaged from a fire at the family homestead) from September, 1970. At the 34' tower door, they used to tell me to "Sound off with your roster number and stand in the door".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jump_School_Sept_1970.jpg (13.4 KB, 192 views)
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote