Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 07-12-2011, 17:17   #76
PRB
Quiet Professional

We had just gotten back from Morroco, I think, and were told we had to stand one of Sudeths huge in ranks class A deals in a few days. Had the team bring their class A's in on hangers for a quick once over. Good to go.
My Medic Denzil Ames (future USASOC CSM) forgot his tie on the day of the inspection and one of the guys had long black socks so we tied it around his neck. Looked pretty good...Sudeth never noticed. Little shit like that made crap bearable.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:58   #77
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
James A Guest, hey...ya gotta have a bullet (for the OER) I suppose...

I think it also happened around the time Suddeth (sudden death) wanted to "Clean SF up"...so, that with the old "Viet Nam" stigma, just helped pave the way....

Hell, we even had to get haircuts and trim our mustaches....

Who remembers the formations up on the upper parking lot around Bryant Hall????

He was sending alot of folks to the rear of the formation for "infractions"...which led to more "pre-inspections" before they had to go to the next one...

Thank the good Lord above...I was in O&I and assigned to SWC...so I didn't have the "pleasure" of partaking in such magnificent formations...
Hey Glebo,

I remember that the one not to caught by with a questionable looking mustache was CSM Foreman. Getting an ass chewing by him was enough to leave one with a case of PTSD.

Was too young to make a judgement call on COL Guest but do remember a few of the inspirational speeches he gave.

"The Russians are afraid of our Special Forces and will commit an entire divison to eliminating one A-Team."

The actor who played Rambo's former Commanding Officer in the movie reminded me of Guest.

Last edited by mojaveman; 07-15-2011 at 17:51.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:58   #78
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

I remember standing in those formations and our Company Commander (C/1/5)was sent to the rear also.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 14:17   #79
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Hey Glebo,

I remember that the one not to caught by with a questionable looking mustache was CSM Foreman. Getting an ass chewing by him was enough to leave someone with PTSD.

Was too young to make a judgement call on COL Guest but do remember a few of the inspirational speeches he gave.

"The Russians are afraid of our Special Forces and will commit an entire divison to eliminating one A-Team."

Can't remember the name of the actor but Guest reminded me of Rambo's former Commanding Officer in the movie.
Richard Crenna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richard_Crenna.jpg (53.5 KB, 71 views)
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 14:58   #80
glebo
Quiet Professional

Yup, close resemblance...other than James A. was a bit "fuller"

Here's one for ya....who remembers the "Rake Line SOP"???? When we moved over to the old LAC area from Smoke Bomb Hill...85-86ish?? Oh...and building our good 'ol tm room lockers from that template they come up with...

Couldn't leave the company area untill ya had raked around the company building...the SOP even had which direction the rake lines had to be in correspondence with the company...IE perpendicular from all sides...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15   #81
Shadar
Quiet Professional

The Good old Days.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
I remember standing in those formations and our Company Commander (C/1/5)was sent to the rear also.

CD
I remember the big 5th group inspection by Suddeth. By the time he got through, the formation of people being counseled or relieved behind the formation was bigger than the groups formation.

I also remember standing in the formation where we switched flashes. Went to the formation wearing the old flash, and had to have a beret in our right cargo with the new one to put on at a particular point in the speeches. The speeches were all bullshit, except for the historical account of 5th Group. I remember feeling "in awe" of those that had gone before me and what they had done.

I was in the front row, had press and lots of visitors. I distinctly remember this damn fly landed on my face and crawled around on it for about 10 minutes. SOB finally tried to crawl up my nose and I was finally able to blow him out and off my face.

Last edited by Shadar; 09-02-2011 at 08:18.
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 22:13   #82
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadar View Post
I remember the big 5th group inspection by Suddeth. By the time he got through, the formation of people being counseled or relieved behind the formation was bigger than the groups formation.

I also remember standing in the formation where we switched flashes. Went to the formation wearing the old flash, and had to have a beret in our right cargo with the new one to put on at a particular point in the speeches. The speeches were all bullshit, except for the historical account of 5th Group. I remember feeling "in awe" of those that had gone before me and what they had done.

I was in the front row, had press and lots of visitors. I distinctly remember this damn fly landed on my face and crawled around on it for about 10 minutes. SOB finally tried to crawl up my nose and I was finally able to blow him out and off my face.
Shadar,

Another formation we shared in. I was also standing in 1st Bn formation during the flash exchange.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55   #83
wet dog

For many years, I thought Ft. Jackson, SC would have been a good choice in a location for a BN of the 5th. One in Campbell, on at Bliss, one at Jackson, (sort of close to Bragg), but not under the flag pole.
Old 09-06-2011, 14:01   #84
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
For many years, I thought Ft. Jackson, SC would have been a good choice in a location for a BN of the 5th. One in Campbell, on at Bliss, one at Jackson, (sort of close to Bragg), but not under the flag pole.
Ft.Bliss would have been the ticket, especially when only ADA was there(87-2004) as all of the huge manuever area was unused and all of the small arms ranges always open.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 16:20   #85
Radioman
Asset

Last Hard Class

I was there early 80s. There was talk of moving the 5th but got out before everything went dow. Look down because I was at CSP not a team or look down for not being on a team. Was given an assignment no choice. Lot of BS then from lots of people. In fact spent 10 months in the field one right after another in 82 just to get away.

Last edited by Radioman; 09-21-2011 at 16:29.
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 19:51   #86
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Ft.Bliss would have been the ticket, especially when only ADA was there(87-2004) as all of the huge manuever area was unused and all of the small arms ranges always open.
Climbing at Waco Tanks, cruisin' the border in DMVS's. Pretty Texas girls who couldn't wait to teach you how to do the two-step (Dance . . . shad-dup, you). Being out so far from the city lights the sky just lit up with stars. Knowing what's really at that spot where New Mexico makes the right turn to the west. Juarez when it was cool.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16   #87
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Climbing at Waco Tanks, cruisin' the border in DMVS's. Pretty Texas girls who couldn't wait to teach you how to do the two-step (Dance . . . shad-dup, you). Being out so far from the city lights the sky just lit up with stars. Knowing what's really at that spot where New Mexico makes the right turn to the west. Juarez when it was cool.

I wasn't thinkin' what you were thinnkin'....I was thinkin' the two step after a "home cooked" Mesican meal....from one of those little hole in the wall restaurants..
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22   #88
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
I wasn't thinkin' what you were thinnkin'....I was thinkin' the two step after a "home cooked" Mesican meal....from one of those little hole in the wall restaurants..
You mean one of those in Juarez where you order the carne asada and then watch them pull the meat out of the cupboard?

LHC
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23   #89
glebo
Quiet Professional

^^^^^^ Yup, dat be it...just hope to God ya don't have to do PT the next mornin'.... (better carry extra socks)
Old 11-22-2011, 20:31   #90
Paradude54
Quiet Professional

I got to 5th Group in late 89, so they'd already moved, sort of. 3rd Bn was still striped pretty bare of equipment and some friends had warned me that was not the place to be, so when I was in processing and they said that they had one opening for 2nd Bn I damn near jumped out of my skin to get and did.

I hated Campbell from the minute that I got there. We were the red headed step children of the post, since the 101st CO was also the post commander and at least at the time they had one that didn't care for SF at all. Getting ranges was an exercise in begging, since about the only way that a lot of it happened was by promising some foreign weapons training to the 101st or something of that sort. And it never made any sense at all to me for a desert unit to be stationed on the TN/KY border.
Paradude54 is offline   Reply With Quote