Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-23-2018, 13:16   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Teachers with concealed weapons, not best idea

This is the current thought but there are some issues.

Teachers do not possess the skilz to go “offensive”. 99% of the LEO’s don’t have the skilz to go offensive.

Neither are trained “killers”. Teachers and LEO’s receive “defensive” shooting training.

Google "defensive shooting schools", then google "offensive shooting schools".

Defensive shooting schools are out there by the thousands, not one listed as “offensive” shooting school. And same with the mindset, it’s defensive.

You want to defend your children, place trained combat veterans, with combat MOS’s in your schools with a short rifle. They are trained killers.

If you want to put down an active shooter in seconds, employ an offensively trained killer, not a defensively trained teacher or LEO.

My .02 take it for what it’s worth.
Old 02-23-2018, 13:28   #2
bblhead672
Area Commander

Except that an armed combat veteran in the school scares the left more than an armed teacher in the school.

Better to just take away everyone's guns. That's the only acceptable answer to the left.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 13:48   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
It may not be the best option but is better than what most places have now.

Don't forget the church shooter in TX a few months ago was taken out by an old guy that had never been in the military and zero LE experience. He had extensive experience as an NRA shooting instructor and did some target shooting. He was cool headed enough to place the rounds in the side where the ballistic vest did not cover.
That’s nice.

“Civilians” are not trained to address idiots with guns and a standard need to be set. A civilian with zero skilz is not worth hiring to do the job. Trained attack dogs would be better than untrained civilians.

I’ve met NRA shooting instructors that are worthless and possess very little knowledge of weapons employment.

And, next time you nitpick one of my thread/comments you’ll be back on AR15.com.
Old 02-23-2018, 14:04   #4
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Arming teachers and bus drivers (as done in Israel) with guns (to include AR-15s or better SBR select/fire) may not be the best or most feasible answer to combat the remote possibility of an armed attacker but removing the stigma around the discussion as they have in Texas and elsewhere may promote a safer school setting simply because of the deterrence value.

Could you imagine if even 1% of the school faculty were armed with a combination of open and/or concealed carry and slung long guns on your kids campus. For that burden they would receive an extra $150 a month and a box of ammo to practice. They would only be required to qualify on the LEOSA Federal firearms proficiency exam twice a year. With a 25, 50 and 100 yard requirement for a long gun or shotgun.

I’m not advocating for arming school teachers, only that the 2A should be upheld as importantly as the others taught in schools.

I have no problems with state RCWs or Penal Codes that prohibit minors, felons, and other from possessing items deemed hazardous to the educational environment.

It’s still illegal in most urban areas to discharge a firearm without due cause of protecting life.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 14:26   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
This is the current thought but there are some issues.

Teachers do not possess the skilz to go “offensive”. 99% of the LEO’s don’t have the skilz to go offensive.

Neither are trained “killers”. Teachers and LEO’s receive “defensive” shooting training.

Google "defensive shooting schools", then google "offensive shooting schools".

Defensive shooting schools are out there by the thousands, not one listed as “offensive” shooting school. And same with the mindset, it’s defensive.

You want to defend your children, place trained combat veterans, with combat MOS’s in your schools with a short rifle. They are trained killers.

If you want to put down an active shooter in seconds, employ an offensively trained killer, not a defensively trained teacher or LEO.

My .02 take it for what it’s worth.
Good points TS! In my mind, I was thinking a "trained" teacher would react the same way you or I or our Brothers would. Of course they would not!

Then I thought about your comment re: "offensive shooting schools".

Never heard of such a thing. So I googled it thinking I might find someplace to brush up on those perishable skills - nothing!

Silly me of course there are no offensive shooting schools. That's a military skill set. Duh! Very good point!

I may be slow, but I do catch on eventually.
Old 02-23-2018, 17:04   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I've no issues with armed teachers defending themselves and their classroom, just don't expect them to go "hunting"........
Old 02-23-2018, 17:25   #7
PRB
Quiet Professional

No, they'll not be door kickers, no they will not be qualified at CQB....otoh, what 'training' did the nut job kid have?

What is the first rule of a gunfight.

At least it is a chance.

This is not a new deal...in Israel teachers have fully auto weapons in their classrooms...for good reason.

It can be done.

I think some would 'go hunting'....'someone is killing 'my' kids'.....yes, some would.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 18:59   #8
Joker
Quiet Professional

I say make it mandatory. Then you will see the leftwing propagandist teachers leave in protest, then we can get the good ones in.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 19:04   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
No, they'll not be door kickers, no they will not be qualified at CQB....otoh, what 'training' did the nut job kid have?

What is the first rule of a gunfight.

At least it is a chance.

This is not a new deal...in Israel teachers have fully auto weapons in their classrooms...for good reason.

It can be done.

I think some would 'go hunting'....'someone is killing 'my' kids'.....yes, some would.
So where does Ms. Jones, 5'1", 98lb hide her "active shooter" death dealer? Do you think her .380 is good enough to go hunting with? There's a lot of issues arming teachers.
Old 02-23-2018, 19:11   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Sky Marshals to “School Marshals”

The time is now for “School Marshals”, but guess what, congressmen, senators, millionaires, and trust fund babies don’t spend 7-8 hours a day at a kids school, so I don’t ever see “School Marshals” happening.

What I’d do as prez is close the TSA, (And the ATF, EPA, BLM etc) tell the airlines they are back in charge of their own security and start the "School Marshal" program.

Had any of the last 10 school shootings occurred at harvard, yale or berkley you bet the feds would have placed a heavily armed FBI agent or twenty at these schools, permanently.

If it ain't happening to the "elite" no one really cares.
Old 02-23-2018, 20:15   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I say make it mandatory. Then you will see the leftwing propagandist teachers leave in protest, then we can get the good ones in.
Heck, I'd make training mandatory just to get them to get over their irrational fear of guns.

At her female-only shooting club, my wife is in charge of the "scardies" and has yet to have one, that actually shot at the range, go away afraid. She did have one refuse to go to the range after the class, though.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 21:06   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
So where does Ms. Jones, 5'1", 98lb hide her "active shooter" death dealer? Do you think her .380 is good enough to go hunting with? There's a lot of issues arming teachers.
Sure there are..... but issues can be overcome with thoughtful application. Not everyone in the school would carry either.....and Mrs. Jones can carry her .45 under her suit coat.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 00:24   #13
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

MSNBC is running a poll right now on about arming teachers. Its going against them so I don't think it'll every get released.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...cealed-weapons

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58   #14
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
MSNBC is running a poll right now on about arming teachers. Its going against them so I don't think it'll every get released.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...cealed-weapons

CD
63% says, "Yes, arming teachers would protect my child."
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 14:07   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Just voted and looks like the left is hitting the pole hard now.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote