Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-21-2016, 08:36   #61
VVVV

Was the decision to open, based on corporate policy, or was it a local franchise decision? Big difference!

Last edited by VVVV; 06-21-2016 at 08:40.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:45   #62
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Was the decision to open, based on corporate policy, or was it a local franchise decision? Big difference!
It's rather consistent with how the company at large is operated.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49   #63
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
From the article:

"A representative for Chic-fil-A Corp. said in an email that there have been rare cases that "move our local operators to respond with food donations to help communities in need." The company said it did not know how many local restaurants or employees were involved in the donations Sunday, and that the restaurants were not open to the public."
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:06   #64
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Here's a little more background:

Quote:
Normally Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday so workers can go to church or spend time with their families or just sit on the front porch in a rocking chair and wave to passersby. So when I received word through some of our readers that several Chick-fil-A restaurants in Orlando had opened their doors on Sunday – I was a bit intrigued.

Hours after the gunman had massacred 49 people and wounded dozens more in the Pulse nightclub, the community sprang into action.One of the most inspiring photographs showed hundreds and hundreds of people waiting in long lines – for hours to donate blood.

Team members at two nearby Chick-fil-A restaurants figured those folks must be getting hungry. So somebody flipped on the lights and they started frying chicken. Before long they were serving sandwiches and nuggets and sweet tea to all the folks waiting to donate blood – along with a host of law enforcement personnel.

“We love our city and love the people in our community,” a team member wrote on the restaurant’s Facebook page.

The following day many of their restaurants provided free chicken biscuits and orange juice to firefighters and police officers and first responders.
Full article
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27   #65
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ice storm

Quote:
During one of the bigger ice storms in IIRC Atlanta one of the large intersections was shut down trapping a great many drivers.

The nearest C-F-L opened with what staff could get in and they started serving meals to those who could make it to the store. Some of the workers walked down to the traffic jam and handed out food to those who stayed in their cars.

I'd say they do what needs to be done without expecting any thanks from the left or the MSM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:58   #66
VVVV

Back in the '70s somewhere in Maryland driving along an interstate that was bogged down by very dense fog, a McDonald's near an exit offered free drinks and any food they had left to travelers that were stranded there. They remained open overnight, even after all the food was gone to provide restrooms and a safe haven for stranded motorists.

They certainly didn't do it for media attention and it wasn't because of Corporate policy it was an individual owner/managers decision.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:11   #67
Pete
Quiet Professional

The 70's

Quote:
Back in the '70s .......
Wasn't there a show about the 70's?

Got any stories of Fast Food joints - other than C-F-L - from the past 5 years or so?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50   #68
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Wasn't there a show about the 70's?

Got any stories of Fast Food joints - other than C-F-L - from the past 5 years or so?
I stopped eating in fast food joints in the '80s, since then the only time I have been in one is to take a leak. I've never had the pleasure of pissing in a C-F-L.
Old 06-21-2016, 14:40   #69
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I stopped eating in fast food joints in the '80s, since then the only time I have been in one is to take a leak. I've never had the pleasure of pissing in a C-F-L.
Well, somebody has been pissing in your cornflakes the last few weeks.

Why you so down on C-F-L?
Old 06-21-2016, 17:49   #70
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Officers made entry then called off for SWAT...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pol...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

Can any one explain why officers armed with rifles inside the club are told to hold then extract?

Quote:
Cornwell said they never saw Mateen; he said the shooter had vanished inside the dimly lit club as Cornwell and the other officers followed the sounds of screams and echoing gunfire to the bathroom area where they presumed the gunman was now holed up. He said they aimed their assault rifles toward that area as the sounds of gunfire stopped. He said that they then followed orders to hold their position for what he described as “15 or 20 minutes — could’ve been longer” until the SWAT team arrived.
How many people bled to death in those 3 hours before the stand off ended?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 06-22-2016 at 09:18.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 18:11   #71
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well, somebody has been pissing in your cornflakes the last few weeks.

Why you so down on C-F-L?
Can't recall the last time I had a bowl of cornflakes, but probably was about 60 years ago.

I don't care one way or another about C-F-L, never been in one, and most likely never will.

BTW, isn't it C-F-A?

Last edited by VVVV; 06-21-2016 at 18:13.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:59   #72
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Chances are better that anyone lying on the floor were playing dead because we all know that works for bears and not gun man with three hours of time.

The police confronted him outside and when he returned inside all their "Active Shooter" training stopped. WTF over?

People bled to death while the SWAT team negotiated.
Follow up based on recent info (both news and other) and reporting after the Monday morning quarterbacking.

One off-duty officer (working security for the club) immediately engaged the shooter from outside the club but was unable to stop him from gaining access. A flood of club goers exiting the building made a bad situation worse but, that's what's expected. He called for assistance, which arrived almost immediately (within minutes.)

The first officers on scene began to control events that were chaotic and at least four (according to their training) gained access into the building with long guns in under five-minutes* (from first shots fired) and began a deliberate search (for multiple threats) following screaming and gunfire. Clearing rooms in the dimly lit building and continuing movement to gunfire. Gun fire stopped.

In less than a minute or two (estimated) they had cornered the shooter in a bathroom and (according to reports) all gun fire ceased. The situation became a 'barricaded hostage event' and was no longer an 'active shooter event.'

It is unknown at this time if anyone else was shot by the shooter during this stand-off. Or if the shooter had run out of sufficient ammo to continue the attack. (Speculation on my part)

Again there are no reports of gunshots during the nearly two and half hour stand-off.

During this time police and first responders evacuated patrons and victims from secured areas inside the club. This is above and beyond in my opinion and is not in protocol.

The shooter took to Facebook and other social media and made repeated phone calls between himself and 911 and hostage negotiators. Towards the end of negotiations the shooter claimed to have (upto) five suicide vests and claimed more explosives (remotely detonated) in a car in the parking lot (clearly a diversion) but one that added to the calamity of the situation at the time.

In the last phone call between the shooter and the police the shooter stated that he was going to strap explosives on hostages and himself to cause a final event...

Within moments the police SWAT guys detonated a breach on an exterior wall adjacent to the suspected location. This partially failed so a Bearcat vehicle was used to breach the wall. An ensuing gun battle broke out and the shooter was dispatched. (Either he had enough ammo left for that or it was one sided.)

No explosives were found!

Two guns and an unknown number or type of magazines have been reported.

The investigation has not revealed how many rounds were expended by either the shooter or the police and how many victims may or may not be friendly fire.

Overall my opinion has changed from WTF happened to "active shooter response" to great job guys! What a cluster F'k handed to you by someone with just enough training and weapons to be truly dangerous in a dark building filled to capacity with non-hostile intoxicated partygoers.

I doubt any department or agency could have done better given the circumstances.

Maybe only better if a specially trained team with thermal/night vision, flash-bangs, and experience could have ended this at first glance.

Well done OPD, surrounding PD and OPD SWAT. Well done!

* Five to seven minutes of carnage. Unknown number of shots fired and 49 dead, 50 wounded out estimated 300 in a confined dimly light, loud, and confusing space where exits were insufficient and either not used or overwhelmed. Some patrons either lying down to be trampled, some choosing to hide in inescapable inner rooms; all to be executed or gravely wounded. Some probably crushed and asphyxiated in confined hallways.

Anyone remember the Station nightclub fire of February 20, 2003? 100 dead and over 200 injured? It happened again in a Brazil nightclub resulting in over 230 killed.

Where is the nearest Exit? It may prove to save your life when seconds count help may be minutes away.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 13:20   #73
Sohei
Area Commander

^^^Very good report. Thanks for the post!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 13:24   #74
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

The Orlando Sentinel published a timeline of events: LINK

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:02   #75
tonyz
Area Commander

An interesting article in the WSJ. Defeating the ISIS social media campaign has been discussed here a number of times.

Defeating ISIS on the Digital Battlefield

A public-private partnership is needed to destroy the terrorists’ virtual state.
WSJ
By R. James Woolsey and Chip Register
June 22, 2016 6:38 p.m. ET

Clearly, the U.S. and its allies can and should meet Islamic State on the battlefield, whether in Syria or Iraq. But the war with the ISIS “virtual state”—those the terrorist organization inspires over the internet, like Omar Mateen in Orlando—will be much harder to fight and will go on long after ISIS ground forces are driven into mountains and caves.

This virtual phase of the war is going to require a massive intelligence effort based on a deep capability to look into real-time human behavior in the digital world: what people are saying on social media, what people are browsing on the web, where people go, what they buy, who they chat with. Only through a significant investment in monitoring the digital fingerprints of all of us will we be able to identify patterns of behavior in real time that identify threats before they materialize.

In the past decade, we’ve seen rapid development in the breadth and sophistication of social media and the “dark web” that enables terrorists to go undetected. But there have been similar advancements in data collection and analysis that let us find bad actors before they strike.

The world creates 2.5 quintillion bytes of data every day; 90% of all data existing on the planet is less than 24 months old. That’s a big area in which to hide if you’re a bad actor. To find them, we will need intelligent computers to chase them through the digital landscape.

Winning this phase of the war, and keeping people safe every day as they go about their lives, will entail winning a technological space race. “Moving at the pace of government” won’t ensure our individual and collective security. We need a more formalized public-private partnership with the focus of the Manhattan Project and the funding of the Mercury and Apollo space programs to study the issue, map out capabilities, assign responsibilities, guide development and allocate resources. The critical success factor here will not be the amount of money spent, but speed, efficiency and effectiveness.

We also need a public-relations campaign with two primary objectives: to disrupt and delegitimize the message of ISIS both in the U.S. and abroad, and to restore confidence in our civic institutions so law-abiding citizens can have a more productive discussion about the balance between data privacy and security in America.

The U.S. has competent, accountable and well-intentioned intelligence capabilities. We need to turn them loose on this threat using the latest in data science and artificial intelligence. Anyone who has worked in or near the U.S. intelligence community can attest to the fact that no one there is interested in “your damn emails,” to quote Sen. Bernie Sanders. Rather, they work 24/7 looking for threats that could manifest themselves as catastrophically as they did this month in Orlando.

The U.S. bombing campaign and eliminating ISIS strongholds in Iraq and Syria will hurt the terrorists’ cause substantially. But it won’t prevent another Orlando. We also have to attack the “virtual state” on the digital battlefield and degrade its message and capability to influence the lone wolf, finance a cell or purchase a weapon of mass destruction.

Mr. Woolsey is chairman of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies’ Leadership Council and a former director of the CIA. Mr. Register is CEO of Sapient Consulting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/defeatin...eld-1466635130

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote