Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-17-2020, 12:06   #16
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I have WHO and UNHCR associates here, and their salaries and business/first class allowance raise eyebrow. However, she works very hard ie 10+ hours, very sincere/passionate, and readily acknowledges US pays most of her salary. When the UN compound ran out of booze she reached out to me. I told her they ll be more productive w tax payers money with less booze. She did not appreciate that comment
I do help her from time to time though
I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner, must have been busy. I’m not saying people that work for these organizations are bad or misguided, I’m saying they are idealistic and throw OPM at a problem thinking if they throw around enough of OPM (pronounced “OPIUM” aka Other Peoples‘ Money) the problem will go away and they will look good for doing it.

They are very good at attaching their name or emblem on things formerly stamped or imprinted with “USA” clearly written on the bag underneath the UN or WFP emblem/letters.

I (as in me, me, and again me, and (occasionally two other USA-SF persons, our CA Captain) a US citizen NGO (former Green Beret from MACV-SOG days) a dozen Laotian locals (laborers) later followed up by another dozen USA Reserve component doctors, dentists and nurses brought into the country for a week towards the end of the project again by “me” (and the US Ambassador to Laos at the time) built (or more appropriately re-built) a Vietnam War era hospital in southeastern Laos from a dilapidated building built towards the end of the war by the Vietnamese near Uncle Ho’s famous pipeline trial. Filled it with over a half-million dollars worth of US war stock medical equipment (again brought into Laos from Thailand over the river in seven semi-trucks and mysteriously past customs and border patrol agents with the help of a case of Johnny Walker and some fried grasshoppers over drinks one night) and turned it into a fairly modern 50-bed hospital complete with surgical suite, OB/GYN L&D and dentistry suite...oh and running water and electricity. At the end of this nearly six months long project where I never once saw a representative from the UN and I know for a fact they did not provide any funding for this “US Humanitarian Aid” project (again because I’m the one with the help of another USA-SF guy and the Ambassador who sourced all the money) funded it (ironically with OPM!)

On the day of the dedication ceremony and against the US Ambassador’s ‘wishes’ (loved her but, she lost out) and most likely a request by “others’” present to include many representatives from the Laotian government, doctors from Savannakhet, and the “United Nations” (I have no idea why they were there, I had not contacted them or dealt with them at all, but there they were) we had a big ribbon cutting ceremony and all...three of us stood there in pressed BDU’s wearing our “Green Beret” (only time any of the locals saw “the American “Doctor”” outside of wearing khaki shorts, boots, a sweaty shirt and canvas ‘Australian outback hat.’ Must have been quite the surprise for all of them! ‘Sandy’ the MACV-SOG era NGO absolutely fell over himself with joy and the reps from Joint Task Force-Full Accounting were happy to see us as well...they too are not allowed to wear US Army/Air Force uniforms or insignia while carrying out their mission but they were a big part of this project. (We even got an “Joint Service Commendation Medal” from them, yeah!)

Anyways, we affixed a bronze plaque (about 10”x10”) on the building next to the front door that read something to the effect of “On this day April XX, 1998, This hospital is dedicated to the people of Xepon Savannakhet Laos for their continued friendship and support. From the United States of America and the 96th Civil Affairs, Battalion, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, De Oppresso Liber” (I’m sure it didn’t last five minutes after we pulled out and left but I have a picture of it somewhere.) The Ambassador loved it and never said anything about us wearing our uniforms and head gear. I think she was secretly proud (and she was a Hillary Clinton college roommate, but she was definitely not so far gone to respect the military and what we did on this and other projects in country.)

(PS. I just looked and they lifted the satellite imagery ban from Google Maps...if you find Xepon, Laos along highway 9E from Savannakhet to the Vietnam border town Lao Bao (where I practically lived for six months) on the south side of the highway and between the athletic field and west of the Banghiang River you will see a group of red roofed connected buildings...the one with the oldest roof (Which was new when I finished) on the west side of compound (I built, well the contractor built) most of those were not there (I think it became a military compound or government complex) the “L” shape is part of what was there and the white thing south of the building is actually up a hill and is a gravity fed water tank cut from a truck we used for a water storage tank from a well. Like i said, we installed two 60Kw diesel generators (effectively giving the town electricity) the town has grown ten-fold from when I was there. The road you see in the picture below was the highway when I was there.)

PSS. Don’t tell me about “Agent Orange” either, these people lived through it being dumped on them and while I don’t doubt it was toxic and may have likely caused a lot of problems for service members handling and mixing the substances, I didn’t see it among the 72,000 odd people (no I didn’t see 72,000 people just maybe a few hundred *) that lived in this region, I saw gout and iron deficiency and a lot of malaria. I walked and drove along several miles of the Ho Chi Minh trail and saw first hand the effects of B-52 “Arc Light” bombing missions. Yes, they still use fuel drop-tanks cut in half as boats and each village has a 30’x10’ pond evenly spaced about the radius of a 2,000-pound bomb the length of a mile or so. Parts of the pipeline where still there and most people suffered from amputations picking up and disassembling anti-personnel mines for the explosives - same problems i saw in Cambodia - makes for great fishing. (Those that mess up disassembling 2,000# bombs don’t have an amputation problem...just saying.)

* some walked days because they heard there was a “Doctor” in town, I didn’t have anything more than Iodine water purification tablets but hey...I’m a “quack” not a real doctor...Iodine treats gout “Crush half a pill mix with water twice daily” (Never ask me about Tic-Tac’s )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6E491BD-7D17-4807-B42F-CD0E169B8B87.jpg (56.4 KB, 30 views)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 05-17-2020 at 13:27. Reason: Added missing info
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 15:05   #17
Badger52
Area Commander

ODNT. What a great tale on several levels. Thanks VERY much for sharing that.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 22:49   #18
Uman
Quiet Professional

Does this sound credible?

Search this on the Forbidden Site

Italian Government call for arrest of Bill Gates
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 22:56   #19
Uman
Quiet Professional

and this

https://lockdownsceptics.org/code-re...rgusons-model/
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:51   #20
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Awesome review. Thanks.

Quote:
Non-deterministic outputs. Due to bugs, the code can produce very different results given identical inputs. They routinely act as if this is unimportant.

This problem makes the code unusable for scientific purposes, given that a key part of the scientific method is the ability to replicate results. Without replication, the findings might not be real at all – as the field of psychology has been finding out to its cost. Even if their original code was released, it’s apparent that the same numbers as in Report 9 might not come out of it.
Without someone with the ability to track down and analyze the code, only the code writers will know.

BUT it also has to do with who owns the code,, for-profit & politics.

If you buy a product (MS Windows) you do not own the code.

Years ago I had a discussion with my daughter & SiL. They are both doing what I did 30yrs ago, systems design.

The SiL was on his way to India to review a coding project with a sub-contractor. It had to do with networking financial data for a bank.

His predecessor had allowed the sub-contractor to write a non-disclosure addendum to the contract which effectively prevented actual line-item code review.

The addendum was around "code ownership" as it was a big topic in the IT world. People were copywriting systems for ownership and royalties (eg: MS Windows).

He asked for my opinion..

The simple answer is "it depends"

In his case, the sub-contractor was tasked to create code on contract. They did not own the code. He had to get his legal involved to terminate the contract as it constituted a major security HOLE in the financial system.

Which brings us back to COVID statistics and bad code.

Ya gotta know the academics live for royalties & copyrights. If you own the code, you don't allow code reviews.. Unlike medical research, where peer review is common.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote