Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52   #1
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Underwater Knife Fighting

I can not recall how many times I have heard some one say in jest that they are either waiting to go to, or had the best time at "Underwater Knife Fighting School." Never really knew where that outrageous idea came from, well now I think I do. While doing some research on an unrelated topic, I came across a .pdf of the very first Soldier of Fortune magazine and right there on pg. 50 is the article "Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques," by David E. Steele. You got to love the 70s.

x/S
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07   #2
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
I can not recall how many times I have heard some one say in jest that they are either waiting to go to, or had the best time at "Underwater Knife Fighting School." Never really knew where that outrageous idea came from, well now I think I do. While doing some research on an unrelated topic, I came across a .pdf of the very first Soldier of Fortune magazine and right there on pg. 50 is the article "Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques," by David E. Steele. You got to love the 70s.

x/S
I have to say, when I first saw the post title, I thought, "Where there is a will, there is a way" and I figured someone had found a new type of "warfare" training for the modern warrior. Then after reading it, I thought someone may have a new "Modern Warrior Aerobics" type of training.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:16   #3
wet dog

When I first saw the thread title, I tought a new thread had been started by a new poster, whom TR is about to have for breakfast.

When I learned, 0.5 sec later, that my brother (x/s) probably considered the Comedy Zone, my only question now is, who has gone or who went to the last hard class?

The 70's were cool when spies wore Michael Brady shirts and carried weather PPKs.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Wolfgang Hammersmith might have gone to that school..Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques, and the "Handgun Techniques in Free Fall" course.

I'm surprised we've not been asked about our ability to shoot while under canopy.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Never saw James Bond Thunderball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3i9p...eature=related
ZonieDiver is the one who figures out the proper TTP cutting the air hoses.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Actually, the "underwater knife fighting school" was a drunken SF joke, initiated by an old team sergeant of mine. The pictures were of him and another guy. Short story if I recall correctly: Soldier of Fortune writer wanted to do a story about cool-guy killin' shit. My old team sergeant (now deceased) and some other team guys fill him absolutely full of shit, and even grab scuba gear and jump into the pool for photos. Of course, the article and photos show up in Soldier of Fortune soon thereafter.

Forgive me if a few details are off; I listened to the story quite a few years ago, sitting around a fire and passing a flask.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

Steele must've grown up watching Sea Hunt - Mike Nelson (the TV character, not the Scuba-gawd surfer lookin' dude I knew of 10th SFG fame) was in some type of underwater knife or spear-gun duel every week.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17   #8
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Actually, the "underwater knife fighting school" was a drunken SF joke, initiated by an old team sergeant of mine. The pictures were of him and another guy. Short story if I recall correctly: Soldier of Fortune writer wanted to do a story about cool-guy killin' shit. My old team sergeant (now deceased) and some other team guys fill him absolutely full of shit, and even grab scuba gear and jump into the pool for photos. Of course, the article and photos show up in Soldier of Fortune soon thereafter.

Forgive me if a few details are off; I listened to the story quite a few years ago, sitting around a fire and passing a flask.
That same story was re-printed in the magazine "Gung-Ho" about 1983.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Never saw James Bond Thunderball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3i9p...eature=related
ZonieDiver is the one who figures out the proper TTP cutting the air hoses.
Quote:
Steele must've grown up watching Sea Hunt - Mike Nelson (the TV character, not the Scuba-gawd surfer lookin' dude I knew of 10th SFG fame) was in some type of underwater knife or spear-gun duel every week.
Years ago, I was almost done with said TTPs, after hours and hours of exhaustive study of Mike Nelson on old "Sea Hunt" episodes (still have 'em!). Then... to my dismay... that damned single hose regulator came on the scene. They are a bitch to cut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (17.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10   #10
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

We always practiced our UKF techniques on dry land in tanks and dive masks, weight belts and fins when we couldn't get the pool, but we'd do the moves in slow motion.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

You all are full of surprises.

I can honestly say I've never heard of the "underwater knife fighting school" until now.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30   #12
wet dog

We did dry land rehearsals also because blood in pool makes for longer days.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post

I can honestly say I've never heard of the "underwater knife fighting school" until now.
Stay tuned to Discovery, Bro.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54   #14
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post

Well, get busy. We need an official Bill Harsey Underwater Fighting Knife. Make sure they have serial numbers and a cool logo.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 13:30   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Well, get busy. We need an official Bill Harsey Underwater Fighting Knife. Make sure they have serial numbers and a cool logo.
Brilliant!