Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 02-09-2011, 02:17   #16
mike-munich
Guerrilla

MVP,

yes, the Grabendolch is very nice. Böker wants EUR 139.00 over here... Maybe one turns up in eGun one day.

Mike
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56   #17
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I have a Luftwaffe 2nd. My father got it from a 10th SFG guy in Europe. Dad was a crew chief on C-130's at the time in the 7th SOS out of Ramstein....interesting side note...he crew'd a Fulton extraction once. Anyhows, I couldn't part with it just for the sentimental reasons.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03   #18
Richard
Quiet Professional

"...7th SOS out of Ramstein..."

7th SOS (MC-130E) was at Rhein-Main when I was in Europe - 17th AF (RC-130/MH-53/A-10)was at Sembach and USAFE was at Ramstein.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12   #19
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
"...7th SOS out of Ramstein..."

7th SOS (MC-130E) was at Rhein-Main when I was in Europe - 17th AF (RC-130/MH-53/A-10)was at Sembach and USAFE was at Ramstein.

Richard
Without getting threads crossed, i.e. my "bump" story...I don't remember all locations and units. I would have to dig out his DD 214. But I know we were in Ramstein from 67-72 and during that time he was in the 7th SOS. That much I know from his old pictures and certificates.

Just discovered the 7th's website with pics from that time frame.
http://www.7thsos.org/inside/
-TOMAHAWK9521

Last edited by 1stindoor; 02-09-2011 at 11:16. Reason: Added website
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...I know we were in Ramstein from 67-72 and during that time he was in the 7th SOS.
The 7th Special Operations Squadron was originally constituted as the 7th Air Commando Squadron, Composite, and activated, on 14 May 1964 under United States Air Forces in Europe, and organized on 1 July 1964 at Sembach AB, Germany. It operated the C–47 (1964–1973); C–123 (1964–c. 1973) and U–10 (1964–1968) aircraft and was tasked with Special operations training. It was reassigned to Seventeenth Air Force, on 1 May 1967.

Redesignated as the 7th Special Operations Squadron on 15 July 1968, it relocated to Ramstein AB, Germany, on 15 August 1968. The 7th began operating the C–130 that year, until c. 1977 and the UH–1 in 1971 until 1973. The 7th was later reassigned to the 26th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, on 17 November 1972; the 86th Tactical Fighter Wing, on 31 January 1973.

Upon its reassignment to the 322nd Tactical Airlift Wing, on 15 March 1973, the squadron relocated to Rhein-Main AB, Germany, on 15 Mar 1973 (but deployed at Incirlik AB, Turkey, from 13 January–18 March 1991 and 6 April–14 May 1991).

It was reassigned to Seventeenth Air Force, on 30 June 1975; to the 601st Tactical Control Wing, on 15 October 1975; to the 7575th Operations Group, on 1 July 1977; and to 2nd Air Division, on 1 March 1983.

The 7th SOS began operating the MC-130 in 1977.

The consolidated 7th SOS was then reassigned to the 39th Aerospace Rescue & Recovery (later, 39th Special Operations) Wing, on 1 February 1987 (attached to Joint Special Operations Task Force, from 13 January–18 March 1991 and from 6 April–14 May 1991); and to the 352d Special Operations Group, on 1 December 1992 (though attached to Joint Special Operations Task Force, from 22 February–22 March 1993), relocating in the process to RAF Alconbury, England (though it deployed at Rhein-Main AB, Germany, 22 February–22 March 1993).

The 7th SOS supported Coalition forces in Southwest Asia from January–March 1991 and later resupplied Kurds in Northern Iraq.

It relocated to RAF Mildenhall on 12 January 1995 where the 352nd SOG had consolidated all its assigned units

7th has been all over the place.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30   #21
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The 7th has been all over the place.
Yes it has. My Dad always said that was his best assignment in the USAF.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back on topic. I also have one of the dress daggers. Been in my family now for more than 40 years. I'll be giving it to my son. It's been in a framed case for about 15 years now.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I had a chance to pick up a chained SS officer dagger many years ago, but I was young and poor at the time and passed.

In retrospect, it would probably have been a much better purchase than most of the other investments I made.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:58   #23
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
Yes it has. My Dad always said that was his best assignment in the USAF.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back on topic. I also have one of the dress daggers. Been in my family now for more than 40 years. I'll be giving it to my son. It's been in a framed case for about 15 years now.
1stindoor,

Where was your Dad trained and by whom?..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01   #24
mike-munich
Guerrilla

My German grandfather had a Luftwaffe dagger too, I asked my grandmother yesterday (she'll be 92 in April). She doesn't know what happend to it, but I have all of his uniform insigna plus Wehrmacht dogtags in my possession.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40   #25
mojaveman
Area Commander

Back in the early '80s one could still find much of the Third Reich militaria at the local flea markets and second hand stores in many German cities. In the '90s after the 50th anniversary of WWII and after some of the movies came out the prices went through the roof. I had a nice collection of stuff that I picked up over there but sold it all some years ago when I was short of money. I couldn't even touch the items now for what I originally payed for them. Helmets, insignia, bayonets, etc.

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-10-2011 at 15:30.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:26   #26
MVP
Quiet Professional

Fossil Man

We had a guy on my team at Tolz circa 86 that collected fossils and was promptly code-named "Fossil Man". Once in Germany he developed an interest in NS stuff. He put the word out with the locals in a few gasthaus's and soon people starting bringing all kinds of stuff. One of the keys to getting people to bring things was that he bought everything. Jokingly he called himself "Nazi's are Us". Even trained his dog "Rudi" to respond with the proper salute on command "Heil Hxxxxx"

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 21:43   #27
Claemore
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Ask your friend if she would donate the dagger to a miltary museum?

Maybe in trade she could take a tax deduction for a price equal to market value without having to wait for a buyer.
She is going to give it to me, and I am probably going to give it to a museum. Any in Denver you had in mind?