Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 07-16-2004, 19:25   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Bear Pit Movies, Books, Articles

Anybody ever see "Gung Ho" with Randolph Scott? About Carlson's Makin Raiders. Good H2G stuff with real guys. Highly recommended. Any others?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 19:51   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Great movie, one of those things that got me really interested in the military as a career when I was but a wee lad.

Jack Moroney
Old 07-16-2004, 19:54   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Amazon has it on DVD.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-05-2005, 21:47   #4
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

LOL I used to watch that as a kid all the time. I saw the DVD at Fred Meyer about six months ago. It was part of a 3 or 4 pack of old WWII movies. I passed it up and regrettably haven't seen it since. If I see it again I'll definitely pick it up. I still remember the guy in the tractor, and the airplane strafings.
--Aric
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 00:35   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/war/vegetius/
The Military Institutions of the Romans
Quote:
THE POST EXERCISE

We are informed by the writings of the ancients that, among their other exercises, they had that of the post. They gave their recruits round bucklers woven with willows, twice as heavy as those used on real service, and wooden swords double the weight of the common ones. They exercised them with these at the post both morning and afternoon.

This is an invention of the greatest use, not only to soldiers, but also to gladiators. No man of either profession ever distinguished himself in the circus or field of battle, who was not perfect in this kind of exercise. Every soldier, therefore, fixed a post firmly in the ground, about the height of six feet. Against this, as against a real enemy, the recruit was exercised with the above mentioned arms, as it were with the common shield and sword, sometimes aiming At the head or face, sometimes at the sides, at others endeavoring to strike at the thighs or legs. He was instructed in what manner to advance and retire, and in short how to take every advantage of his adversary; but was thus above all particularly cautioned not to lay himself open to his antagonist while aiming his stroke at him.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58   #6
wri6414
BANNED USER

Exclamation good military movies

i am trying to build up a collection of military movies i got a good amount in my collection already but anybody who has a good list to post i would like to know

Last edited by wri6414; 07-12-2006 at 07:36.
wri6414 is offline   Reply With Quote