Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-05-2010, 13:10   #76
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I got mine last month- 0180. Are the numbers significant? It is a beautiful piece. I submitted my paper work in December 09. By the time I recieved my letter and sent it to the museum, a class was getting ready to graduate plus there were a couiple of other extenuating circumstances resulting in the delay. Roxanne at SWC and Betty in the museum were very helpful and friendly...

I may buy the 5.5 inch version to carry when I hunt.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 20:16   #77
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I got mine last month- 0180. Are the numbers significant?
As far as I know, the Q course grads numbering on the knives is still going from the original inception date. The ones you and I have differ in that they say Yarborough -SF and then the serial number, the grads knives just say Yarborough and a serial number.

The numbering is to keep track of the knives same as the Graduate's knives.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 23:47   #78
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thanks, PZT.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 00:23   #79
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

They also keep a master log book of the Yarborough-SF knives sold at the gift shop with the owners name/serial number info so they can be tracked just like the ones the new grads get.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08   #80
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
As far as I know, the Q course grads numbering on the knives is still going from the original inception date. The ones you and I have differ in that they say Yarborough -SF and then the serial number, the grads knives just say Yarborough and a serial number.

The numbering is to keep track of the knives same as the Graduate's knives.
The original ones sold through the Gift Shop (and given to the graduates) just had Yarborough and the serial number. No "SF" prefix. Someone else may know for sure, but I seem to recall there being 1200 or so sold on the first run, before the sales program was cancelled by a certain GO. The issued knife serial numbers started at the end of the sale knife serial numbers and continue on that number sequence.

If you look around here, you will see several photos of both the original and the issue versions.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45   #81
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The original ones sold through the Gift Shop (and given to the graduates) just had Yarborough and the serial number. No "SF" prefix. Someone else may know for sure, but I seem to recall there being 1200 or so sold on the first run, before the sales program was cancelled by a certain GO. The issued knife serial numbers started at the end of the sale knife serial numbers and continue on that number sequence.

If you look around here, you will see several photos of both the original and the issue versions.

TR
I believe that is correct in so much that you could get them at the gift shop while they were initially being issued in the beginning of the program and they had that run/batch in stock. Once they stopped selling them at the gift shop and only issuing them, the serial numbers continued on with each graduating class.

When the gift shop sales opened back up it created an issue as they have a batch of knives already set aside for the graduating classes and had to create the "-SF" version. The way it was explained to me by the woman at the gift shop was that it was easier for everyone involved to simply start the sales run/batch off with the "-SF" starting with 001 and keep the two programs separate than try to sell and issue from the same pool of knives they already had. Plus it's a money thing as I understand it, as the issued knives are budgeted and paid for by SWC and there was no way for the Gift shop to sell the knives to the rest of the SF community from that program and also keep the serial numbering in order. The easiest solution was introduce the "-SF" version for the rest of SF and let the gift shop sell them while maintaining the same kind of accountability as the issued ones.

If anyone knows anything different or I got something backwards please chime in as this is the kind of verbal history/story telling that seems to last or get lost over the years, kind of like the "Nous Defions" phrase thread.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00   #82
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I believe that is correct in so much that you could get them at the gift shop while they were initially being issued in the beginning of the program and they had that run/batch in stock. Once they stopped selling them at the gift shop and only issuing them, the serial numbers continued on with each graduating class.

When the gift shop sales opened back up it created an issue as they have a batch of knives already set aside for the graduating classes and had to create the "-SF" version. The way it was explained to me by the woman at the gift shop was that it was easier for everyone involved to simply start the sales run/batch off with the "-SF" starting with 001 and keep the two programs separate than try to sell and issue from the same pool of knives they already had. Plus it's a money thing as I understand it, as the issued knives are budgeted and paid for by SWC and there was no way for the Gift shop to sell the knives to the rest of the SF community from that program and also keep the serial numbering in order. The easiest solution was introduce the "-SF" version for the rest of SF and let the gift shop sell them while maintaining the same kind of accountability as the issued ones.

If anyone knows anything different or I got something backwards please chime in as this is the kind of verbal history/story telling that seems to last or get lost over the years, kind of like the "Nous Defions" phrase thread.
You are close. The reason that they went to the Yarborough SF numbering system was that 1-1200 (or so) already went to the individual sales program, and 1201-whatever were being issued to the graduates. Unless they wanted to start the numbers for a block of individual sales knives at 8000 or so, they had to start with a new prefix, essentially creating a new number run starting at 1. This will create a system though, where there will be a Yarborough #180, and a Yarborough #SF 180.

When I was involved, the money for the graduate knives came from USASOC.

HTH.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 15:00   #83
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They also keep a master log book of the Yarborough-SF knives sold at the gift shop with the owners name/serial number info so they can be tracked just like the ones the new grads get.
Yeah, so don't leave it sticking in anyone outside the sandbox.
Old 03-06-2010, 17:12   #84
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Yarborough

I went and checked mine. It is "YARBOROUGH 0453". From the comment on this thread I'm guessing this was part of the original run of 1200 for FOGs .
Old 05-10-2010, 21:19   #85
dunk50
Quiet Professional

Got mine after 40+ years

Well I got my FedEx box to day from Mary at the SF Museum. Arrived at 4:30 this afternoon. Have not opened it yet. Going to wait for the right time, possibly this weekend. Thanks to all on this site. It's very informative and I will con't to lurk!

Thursday May 13th 1:14AM YARBOROUGH SF 0227

Last edited by dunk50; 05-12-2010 at 23:14.
dunk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 19:15   #86
albeham
Quiet Professional

I got mine today..Its the best I have seen. It means a lot to me. Glad my wife told me to get it..

Serial number SF-0272. This Blade is " In Case of Killing, pull here"

I think I might just need the small one for " Boy Scouting" events.

The feel in my hand, the love that went into this blade, is out standing!!!!

AL

Last edited by albeham; 09-14-2010 at 19:27.
albeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41   #87
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
I went and checked mine. It is "YARBOROUGH 0453". From the comment on this thread I'm guessing this was part of the original run of 1200 for FOGs .
doctom,
If there is no other lettering on your no. side besides the Yarborough and 0453
yes it must be one of the original group fors existing and former Quiet Professionals.

Albeham,
Thanks for the kind words.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44   #88
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I got mine last month- 0180. Are the numbers significant? It is a beautiful piece. I submitted my paper work in December 09. By the time I recieved my letter and sent it to the museum, a class was getting ready to graduate plus there were a couiple of other extenuating circumstances resulting in the delay. Roxanne at SWC and Betty in the museum were very helpful and friendly...

I may buy the 5.5 inch version to carry when I hunt.
Yes the no.s are important... best to ask the museum what group they are from. Chris Reeve only engraves what he is told to. We have no say in that.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 18:49   #89
albeham
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
doctom,
If there is no other lettering on your no. side besides the Yarborough and 0453
yes it must be one of the original group fors existing and former Quiet Professionals.

Albeham,
Thanks for the kind words.

Bill, your the man.
I never know what goes into a blade, until I got mine.

I am going to need the GB one for like I said camping. 5" would be cool.

Cost?
AL
Old 09-15-2010, 20:53   #90
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Mine has carvd up roasted pigs at SFA picnics

Bill thought that all new Yarboroughs might need to slice a side of pork on the way out of the "factory" to get them properly lubricated for storage and future use overseas.... Hmmmm....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote