Old 08-16-2010, 16:05   #1
RGRJ
Asset

Civillian Law Enforcement

Special Forces Soldiers,

I'm just less than 2 years out from my ETS date, and plan on knocking out selection while still on the active duty side. My question is geared towards any SF Guard Soldiers who are also civilian law enforcement, or who have pertinent information. I plan on trying out for A Co 1/19, but I am also planning on applying to Tacoma Police Department. Regarding the long training pipeline of the Q Course, would it be best to complete the training prior to applying to a police department? Also, with the op tempo of training and deployments in 19th SFG, are there any problems that would hinder one in a civilian LE position?

I am in contact with a TPD recruiter, but would greatly value any knowledge I could gain from you guys as well. Thank you all for your time!
RGRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 16:52   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

This topic has been discussed before here. A thorough search and some reading will provide you with the answers...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 17:43   #3
Bad Tolz
Asset

SFAS vs. LEO

Attempting both within several years is a compromise which may endanger success in either. Both will require your undivided attention, perseverence and the capacity to grow (painfully).

Similiarities are that the learning curve actually gets steeper once you leave the formal training. The ultimate learning failure can be death in each.

De Oppresso Liber

Who dares wins
Bad Tolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 18:54   #4
18C4V
Quiet Professional

It all depends on your schedule and fiances. Out of the three cops (from the same agency) on my ODA, two were cops before they went SF and the other became a cop after SFQC/Deployment.

The only issues that I see is if you're on probation with your dept and you get hurt or wounded on a deployment. If you're off probation, then it would be a moot point. At least that's how it's done with mine.

A/1/19th has a lot of 2/75 and 1st Group guys who are cops. Some of them are probably supervisors in the dept that you're applying for that can run interferecne if needed.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:56   #5
RGRJ
Asset

Much appreciated, thank you all!
RGRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:10   #6
Tom Viktor
Asset

LEO

My situation was similar to yours. I'm a federal leo and our probation is two years. I was looking into joining the National Guard and go for the SFRE but after some consideration and the advice on this site I decided to wait until I was done with my probation before going for it. I'm getting my personal and financial issues in order so that I can attend one of the SFREs next year. Good luck to you.
Tom Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 16:47   #7
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

As a Retired LE Supervisor (Captain) and career Army Reserve (12th SFGA) NCO I think that there are some good replies here.

IMO: I would not try to attend any courses or ask for more time off from your LE agency while you are any kind of probation with that agency.

Also, even after you are no longer on probation, etc., asking for more time then the normal two weeks a year, can cause you many problems with your supervisors, who have to figure out how to replace you when your not there. Budgets are really tight right now in most jurisdictions.

This is especially true, if you desire to be involved in any kind of specialized unit's, such as SWAT, Bomb Technician, Hostage Negotiator, SAR, etc.

You will no doubt cause some problems with your LE supervisors because of your call-ups for active duty tours, due to today's operational tempo's. Yes, they must grant that time, but they don't have to like it.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 16:53   #8
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire View Post
As a Retired LE Supervisor (Captain) and career Army Reserve (12th SFGA) NCO I think that there are some good replies here.

IMO: I would not try to attend any courses or ask for more time off from your LE agency while you are any kind of probation with that agency.

Also, even after you are no longer on probation, etc., asking for more time then the normal two weeks a year, can cause you many problems with your supervisors, who have to figure out how to replace you when your not there. Budgets are really tight right now in most jurisdictions.

This is especially true, if you desire to be involved in any kind of specialized unit's, such as SWAT, Bomb Technician, Hostage Negotiator, SAR, etc.

You will no doubt cause some problems with your LE supervisors because of your call-ups for active duty tours, due to today's operational tempo's. Yes, they must grant that time, but they don't have to like it.
I agree. When it comes to LE Agency's. It doesn't matter if you NG or Reserves. They have an important mission too. They don't need you working in two places.
Old 11-23-2010, 00:13   #9
18C4V
Quiet Professional

It all depends on how big your agency is and what type of position you have. The bigger the agency is, the more freedom you have to go to schools and to serve in specialized units.

Heck, I got promoted to Sergeant when I was at JRTC with a follow on school after that. Our part time and full time SWAT unit is very pro military and we have no issues with guys being activated and we've had our fair share of guys being activated to include myself.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10   #10
Renegade
Asset

LRS Commander and LEO

I don't know how far you are along at this point but I was a beat officer with Atlanta PD while serving as the CO for Co H. I was very fortunate that my drill hall was 15 minutes up the road from my precinct and I was on day watch at the time.

That being said working 8 hour day then driving over to the armory afterwards wore me out. To say nothing of spending time with family. And of course there are always follow on schools.

It's very hard to serve 2 masters. Short answer: I'm working full-time in the Guard now.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote