Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 11-18-2013, 15:22   #16
adal
Quiet Professional

Inferior wall MI. leads 2, 3, aVf with reciprocal in V5, V6.
http://www.learntheheart.com/ecg-rev...on-mi-review-/

Fluids to get pressures up, then a pressor, neosynephrin, or dobutamine. (Neo doesn't tax the heart as much.)

Pain control- fentanyl because of pressures, then Morphine

Fly to PCI center. He has either occluded inferior side OR re-occluded the stents.

Since he is on Plavix already ensure that he is still taking it. (I have a guy here that stopped taking it for a month and re-occluded - yes it can happen that fast).

May get to Nitro drip after fluids are way up (i know, controversial, but I may try to get him open after fluids.

Not too concerned about labs as of yet, but am very concerned about keeping as much of his heart alive as possible. Huge amount of elevation in lead 2 and 3.

As a flight medic - I'd fly faster.
Old 11-18-2013, 16:27   #17
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post

Fluids to get pressures up, then a pressor, neosynephrin, or dobutamine. (Neo doesn't tax the heart as much.) i would have tried a fluid challenge except for the edema and crackles at the the base of lung.

call me conventional but I'd still go with MSO4 for the added benefit of smooth muscle relaxation. Even with the hypotension.

Fly to PCI center. He has either occluded inferior side OR re-occluded the stents.
agree

Since he is on Plavix already ensure that he is still taking it. (I have a guy here that stopped taking it for a month and re-occluded - yes it can happen that fast).

great point

May get to Nitro drip after fluids are way up (i know, controversial, but I may try to get him open after fluids.

Possibly, I'd opt for pressors though.

Not too concerned about labs as of yet, but am very concerned about keeping as much of his heart alive as possible. Huge amount of elevation in lead 2 and 3.

Won't your arms get tired?
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 21:29   #18
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post

Fluids to get pressures up, then a pressor, neosynephrin, or dobutamine. (Neo doesn't tax the heart as much.)

Really good assessment there Bro. I was struggling with MI vs BBB and in particular RBBB (M shaped QRS and wide or notched R wave in V1-V2).

It's nice to come out of the lab once in awhile and get exposed to some real medicine. I really appreciate the opportunity to see just how far out my wheelhouse this really is.

Still learning
Old 11-18-2013, 22:41   #19
Sdiver
Area Commander

Gents,
Just to let you know, I'm still checking in from time to time on this thread. I haven't said anything, because I'm liking how you're working it out amongst yourselves.

With that being said, I will post up a couple of things I noticed ...

1) There was no chest trauma to this Pt. so you can r/o a pneumothorax (x-rays at the clinic confirmed this) but nice pick up on Beck's triad, a most probable sign of a pneumothorax.

2) The question of Ground v. Air. As the scenario is set up, the Pt. is at a clinic (ergo, very limited medical capabilities). There is a non PCI facility 15 min away and a PCI facility 45 min away. I think we all can agree this Pt. needs to get to a Cath lab ASAP. So the question(s) is/are .....

Do you call in air to the LZ set up by the local FD. Take into account, calling the air transport service. Spool up time for the AC. Flight time to the LZ. Load time at LZ. Flight time back to PCI. Adel hopefully you can shed some light on these numbers.

There is also, transporting the Pt. to the non-PCI facility, and get the Pt. stable. They would at least have blood and any other type of fluid that would help get that B/P up. They would also have an LZ, so air could be called to that facility, but at least the Pt. would be in a higher level of care facility other than the clinic.

There is also the possibility just of loading and going via ground to the PCI.

Those are a couple of things I just wanted to throw out there.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 22:55   #20
adal
Quiet Professional

We have a ten minute launch time. Flight time to LZ. I would Hot load - rotors turning - especially since it will be at fire dept. My ground time is supposed to be under ten minutes. I can frequently make it about six and then I'm busy in the air getting things done enroute.

If you go to a hospital, that hospital now has to contact a receiving and EMTALA is in effect. If I (helo) goes to a scene LZ, I can go wherever I can justify for care of the PT and I carry almost as much as an ER would have for resuscitation.

45 min drive could be anything from 10 miles away in Big city ( 5 minutes flight) or 45 miles away in an area like Northern AZ for me. (22 minutes flight.) (I routinely make my 69 mile flight from Tuba City to Flagstaff with MI pts in 30-35 minutes depending on winds.)

Ground doesn't always have the gear or meds OR critical care training for a pt like this. I have seen a BLS crew get launched to a scene and call for a follow on ALS crew. That is more time.

It's a big game of moving pieces and time, but the end result is that this PT needs PCI more than likely and we need to get him there as quick as possible. (He should have driven himself to the PCI unit with his cardiac hx, but I have had this kind of stubborn PT in the past. I'm sure I will have him again.)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12   #21
Patriot007
Guerrilla

Strong work all.

Trapper John, I like your wide differential. I know many docs would not have initially thought about hyperkalemia and it should be considered anytime you see funky QRS or T waves. Medicine has many "great masqueraders" and hyperkalemia is one of them and doesn't always show up as classic peaked T waves or simple wide QRS.

As a learning point to all, as stated this is an inferior wall MI and as such it is one of the instances where nitrates (e.g. nitroglycerin) could kill the patient (bottom out the blood pressure). Also, as far as field management, patients in cardiogenic shock with flash pulmonary edema are some of the most difficult patients to manage.

adal, I agree with all you said besides some minor points which may be practice/location/or style specific. It's always good to see how other professionals are doing it. It sounds like I could learn a lot from you when it comes to logistics alone, thank you. Since we're all here to learn from each other here's my 2 cents.

Since this is cardiogenic shock fluids may or may not help. As the patient is showing signs of pulmonary edema I would be very cautious with fluids as they may worsen the patient's pulmonary edema. Small test bolus of 250-500 cc would be a good starting point. If pressure improves without worsening hypoxia you may be ok for another bolus. If intubated and oxygenating well it's not as much concern but for a hypotensive patient with an unsecured airway it may cause a disaster (I know I'm preaching to the choir). For that reason this is one of the very few instances I'd go straight to a pressor, specifically levophed (norepinephrine). We don't carry levophed prehospital in our state expect for CC transports. We have dopamine which I agree has more risk of arrhythmias but has inotropic effects. Phenylephrine is alpha 2 and only and causes vasoconstriction so your patient's heart is going to have have more work to do without any added pump support (not good for a heart that already is not receiving enough oxygen). Dobutamine is an inotrope (pump support) so it will increase contractility but it causes vasodilation also so often times it actually drops BP at first. Epinephrine would increase heart rate too much worsening ischemia.

In our trucks and birds we have dopamine because Levophed is supposedly not as stable in field conditions. However, levophed is the recommended first line pressor in cardiogenic shock. This is a fairly new recommendation.

Too much? Sorry just got off a shift and I'm still jacked up on coffee
Patriot007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16   #22
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot007 View Post
Too much? Sorry just got off a shift and I'm still jacked up on coffee
Not too much at all, Doc. Thanks for the primer on pressors and their indications for use. Back in my day the choices were epi or norepi. With their contrasting indications I pretty much thought unless I was absolutely certain, the choice was not to use either.

I learned from this exercise so a tip of the ol' beret to SDiver for another challenging case study.

Adal, do you make flights to PA? I thought if I get into trouble I would just have you on my speed dial. Oh, BTW, I have this really nice nipple ring for ya if you want.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53   #23
adal
Quiet Professional

I love these discussions. Great input from all.

TJ, I could make a trip out east, but I'm not a fan of humidity. But if it's in a emergency, hollar and I'll be there as quick as I can.

Patriot007, thanks much. I've had some sick pt's lately that we have used any all sort of pressor combinations in order to help. I think the true key is to get as far in front of the eight ball as you can. (I had one that was post code resuscitation that was on liter number 8 and on three pressors. Not happy.) BTW we are using Levophed a lot out here in our shock protocol.

Sdiver. Keep em up. Love em.
Old 11-19-2013, 13:49   #24
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Beck's triad is related to cardiac tamponade, not PTX
Tension PTX may reveal distended neck veins, hypotension but not muffled heard sounds.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Gents,
Just to let you know, I'm still checking in from time to time on this thread. I haven't said anything, because I'm liking how you're working it out amongst yourselves.

With that being said, I will post up a couple of things I noticed ...

1) There was no chest trauma to this Pt. so you can r/o a pneumothorax (x-rays at the clinic confirmed this) but nice pick up on Beck's triad, a most probable sign of a pneumothorax.

2) The question of Ground v. Air. As the scenario is set up, the Pt. is at a clinic (ergo, very limited medical capabilities). There is a non PCI facility 15 min away and a PCI facility 45 min away. I think we all can agree this Pt. needs to get to a Cath lab ASAP. So the question(s) is/are .....

Do you call in air to the LZ set up by the local FD. Take into account, calling the air transport service. Spool up time for the AC. Flight time to the LZ. Load time at LZ. Flight time back to PCI. Adel hopefully you can shed some light on these numbers.

There is also, transporting the Pt. to the non-PCI facility, and get the Pt. stable. They would at least have blood and any other type of fluid that would help get that B/P up. They would also have an LZ, so air could be called to that facility, but at least the Pt. would be in a higher level of care facility other than the clinic.

There is also the possibility just of loading and going via ground to the PCI.

Those are a couple of things I just wanted to throw out there.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 13:53   #25
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Beck's triad is related to cardiac tamponade, not PTX
Tension PTX may reveal distended neck veins, hypotension but not muffled heard sounds.......
Aw crap, that's right. Thanks for setting me straight.
Pounding my NVTS now Sir/Doc.
Old 11-19-2013, 14:13   #26
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Aw crap, that's right. Thanks for setting me straight.
Pounding my NVTS now Sir/Doc.
Does this mean I can give you the nipple ring.
Old 11-19-2013, 18:46   #27
docholiday161
Asset

Location: Split time between beautiful Washington and the sandbox
I know that I am chiming in a little on the late side. With both the JVD, distal edema, and the crackles at the bases; I am driven toward a cardiogenic shock secondary to CHF. Pt is obviously not perfusing but HR is not bad.

1. 15 LPM via NRB to increase SpO2. I see this as being low due to the pulmonary edema. NRB should bring the 92 to at least 97.

2. The ECG to me looks as if he is throwing multiple PVCs or wide-complex tachycardia with pulse. Pt could crash at any minute due to the irritation of the cardiac muscle.

3. Major concern for me is to increase his pressure without increasing the workload on the heart so that he can start perfusing. For this I would probably start with two large bore NS (both so a fluid challenge can be done as well as have access for follow on meds). Because of the peripheral and pulmonary edema, the pt is intravascularly dry. Meds would be Levophed 8-12 mcg/min and titrate to maintain B/P or possibly Dobutamine.

4. Also consider a Foley to have better monitoring of I/O because once his kidneys start perfusing by increasing his B/P, he should start dumping some of the fluid from his edema.

5. As for the transport decision, I like the idea of trasporting by ground to a higher EOC that could further stabilize while air assets are getting spun up.
docholiday161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 19:58   #28
Sdiver
Area Commander

Okay guys, I'm gonna close this one out and wrap up a few points.
Here's the diagnosis and treatment plan for this Pt.

This Pt. is having an Inferior wall MI as seen in Leads II, III and aVF, with reciprocal changes on the Lateral side as noted in Leads I, aVF and V6). This patient is in cardiogenic shock because the right ventricle has been taken out and there is no forward movement of blood through the heart. These patients are preload dependent due to Starling's Law of the heart.

-- This patient is lacking preload due to the inferior MI and his exam is consistent with RIGHT sided heart failure (JVD and swollen ankles) that is often seen in inferior MIs. He has trace crackles in his lungs, but this should not be a distractor. He needs fluids and lots of them, place on NS or Lactated ringers on a pressure infuser. This is due to Starling's Law of the heart which states that the strength of the heart's systolic contraction is directly proportional to its diastolic expansion. More fluids = more preload = more contractility = less failure.

-- This patient needs a pressor as well as he is showing signs of severe hypoperfusion. Levophed (norepinephrine) is currently the preferred pressor in all cases of hypoperfusion / shock, however not all agencies have this. Dopamine is a good alternative if that is the pressor available to you. You must improve this patient's perfusion, his heart is dying from the MI and the lack of coronary artery perfusion pressure is not helping.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0907118

-- Do you employ air transport? It depends on the resources the helo will bring. If the helo has a higher level of care (i.e. RN / MD or pressors like levo / anticoagulants like heparin) then this might be a good option. But remember that CPR in a helo is not an easy task. If your ground ambulance has reasonable resources, rapid ground treatment may be just as efficacious.

-- Alternatively, there is a community hospital nearby. Certainly the patient could be stabilized there, given TPA or TNK, or started on pressors and rapidly flown after it is clear that maximal therapy has been initiated to decrease the risk of in-flight cardiac arrest.

-- If pressors are to be given, IO is the best route as IO is considered equivalent to a central line.

-- O2 .... His O2 sats are at 92% on 4L via NC, would a NRB at 15L do anything for him? I've always been a big proponent for higher O2 delivery (it's due to the diver in me) but with this talk of free radicals, keeping his sats right at 92% is fine. But that doesn't mean you should completely r/o higher O2 with the type of fluids given. NS doesn't have the same O2 carrying capacity as plasma or RBCs have, so keep that in the back of your noodle.

-- Also, if this Pt. "crashes" prepare to intubate and BVM with high flow O2.

Thanks for playing, we'll have nice parting gifts for you as you leave.

**Trapper ... I'll take that nipple ring off your hands due to my above boneheaded comment, which was caught by SS.

Last edited by Sdiver; 11-19-2013 at 20:04.
Old 11-19-2013, 20:07   #29
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
**Trapper ... I'll take that nipple ring off your hands due to my above boneheaded comment, which was caught by SS.
Yeee Haw! But I have a feeling I will be earning that back in the near future.
Old 11-19-2013, 20:48   #30
docholiday161
Asset

Location: Split time between beautiful Washington and the sandbox
Thanks SDiver. Made me start thinking again and realizing just how rusty my reading leads is.
docholiday161 is offline   Reply With Quote