Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-04-2013, 17:26   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass

Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass
By Todd StarnesPublished October 04, 2013FoxNews.com

The U.S. military has furloughed as many as 50 Catholic chaplains due to the partial suspension of government services, banning them from celebrating weekend Mass. At least one chaplain was told that if he engaged in any ministry activity, he would be subjected to disciplinary action.

“In very practical terms it means Sunday Mass won’t be offered,” Archbishop Timothy Broglio of the Archdiocese for the Military Services told me. “If someone has a baptism scheduled, it won’t be celebrated.”

The Archdiocese for the Military Services tells me the military installations impacted are served by non-active-duty priests who were hired as government contractors. As a result of a shortage of active duty Catholic chaplains, the government hires contract priests.

“They were told they cannot function because those are contracted services and since there’s no funding they can’t do it – even if they volunteer,” he said.

John Schlageter, general counsel for the archdiocese, said any furloughed priests volunteering their services could face big trouble.

“During the shutdown, it is illegal for them to minister on base and they risk being arrested if they attempt to do so,” he said in a written statement.

A well-placed source told me that a furloughed Air Force chaplain was threatened after he offered to forgo pay. The chaplain was told he could not go on base or enter his chapel offices. He was also barred from engaging in any ministry activity.

The source told me the chaplain was told that if he violated those orders he and his supervisor would be subjected to disciplinary action – with the possibility of being fired.

Ron Crews, executive director of the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty, called those developments disturbing.

“Catholic military personnel should not have their religious liberties held hostage by this funding crisis,” Crews told me. “I find it alarming that these priests cannot even volunteer to provide services without threat of arrest.”

The archbishop said a priest at Joint Base Langley-Eustis was banned from officiating at the wedding of a couple he’d been counseling.

“The wedding could be on the base, but the priest can’t do the wedding,” Broglio told me.

A priest at the Naval Amphibious Base in Little Creek, Va., was told he could not celebrate Mass on base because of the government shutdown. So he discovered a way to circumvent the ban.

“He’s having Mass in a local park off base,” the archbishop said.

The archbishop said it doesn’t make any sense to forbid priests from voluntarily ministering to the troops.

“Most of us don’t look to see that we’re going to be paid before we do something,” he said. “They are not being allowed to volunteer even to meet the needs of the faithful.”

Bill Donohue, of the Catholic League, told me he’s not surprised by the decision to furlough Catholic priests.

“In American history there has been no administration more anti-Catholic than the Obama administration,” he said. “For them to deny Catholic men and women the opportunity of the sacraments and to deal with their prayerful vocations is really a stunning statement.”

Donohue chalked it up to meanness.

“This idea of punishing Catholics in the military - denying them their priests - is consistent with the animus this administration has demonstrated,” he said.

It’s not exactly clear who is the final arbiter in the furloughs – but I suspect it’s the same folks who kicked school children out of the White House and elderly veterans out of the World War II Memorial.

“It’s difficult to know who exactly is making these decisions,” the archbishop said. “I’m being told it keeps getting kicked up to a higher level.”

I called the Pentagon but no one returned my calls.

I called the Air Force public affairs office and they told me to reach out to the local bases.

Surely there must be some way to compromise, to let Catholics practice their faith.

I find it odd that the military was able to find enough cash to let their football teams play this weekend – but they can’t scrounge up enough cash for weekend church services.

“It’s a sad contrast when we can let a football game go on but we won’t let a priest go on base and celebrate Mass,” he said.

So in President Obama’s world – college football players are essential but Catholic priests are not.
Old 10-04-2013, 17:36   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
So in President Obama’s world – college football players are essential but Catholic priests are not.
It's not like they're imams...

A Gregorian chant just doesn't have the same ring as the call to prayer to Obama.
Old 10-04-2013, 17:42   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

They can find money to put up barricades to keep some Vets from visiting a memorial but that can't let a priest hold a Mass...

What a bunch of brainless, heartless bureaucrats...the Commies will love this bit.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:50   #4
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
They can find money to put up barricades to keep some Vets from visiting a memorial but that can't let a priest hold a Mass...

What a bunch of brainless, heartless bureaucrats...the Commies will love this bit.
lol Commies? Haven't you seen this video, yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HqHSkYG-Y
Old 10-04-2013, 18:21   #5
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
lol Commies? Haven't you seen this video, yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HqHSkYG-Y
Damn, quite the life story...prolly just scratching the surface...Hillary must know if this guy can become President...with that type of background...

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:32   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Damn, quite the life story...prolly just scratching the surface...Hillary must know if this guy can become President...with that type of background...
The kicker is that that stuff has been available for reporting by the slimestream press since waaaaay before the election.

Ayers 'n' Dohrn, lack of records, commie mentors, Rezko, JWright-all that intel was ignored when he was "vetted".

He claims to be Christian, but you sure coulda fooled me. He doesn't care a whit about Catholic SM's.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:40   #7
TrapLine
Guerrilla

A chaplain threatened with arrest for volunteer ministry is all the more proof that the bureaucracy that is the federal government has become overbearing to its citizens and needs to be reset. IMO
Old 10-04-2013, 21:22   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

WWJD?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:44   #9
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
WWJD?

TR
We know what BHO did.
Old 10-05-2013, 00:15   #10
Constant
Auxiliary

Jesus would make a whip of cords and drive the thieves out of God's house. Then tell some parables while loving all sinners (ALL sinners, He doesn't say some are worse then others) but subjecting the pharasis to shame.

"Christians" (where church is a lame hobby) would judge everyone and kick the homeless out of the church while singing praises to their version of god.
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 00:41   #11
Penn
Area Commander

\If all articles are political in nature, then this bias framing is all in.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 00:50   #12
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

What would happen if all these contract priests went on post and got arrested for serving Mass? Talk about civil protest!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28   #13
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
What would happen if all these contract priests went on post and got arrested for serving Mass? Talk about civil protest!
Ve vould put zem on ze trrucks und off to ze camps!
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote