Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 05-01-2006, 21:39   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Blown Ear drum

OK,
Title says it all. Anybody have any experience with this? All I got from the doc was,"Yup, there's a hole, no flying, no diving, keep it dry." I was told not to use alcohol, peroxide,etc., and to take decongestants and pain meds if needed. Anything I can do to speed up or aid healing? Looks like I won't be using SCBAs for a bit.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 21:41   #2
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

superglue.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13   #3
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

your doc is right on....time will heal it...give it 4-6 weeks to be completely healed. Just out of curiosity, how did you do it..if it can be discussed.(no op-sec issues)
I perforated one age 15...acute pain with wind/sound since the 3 little bones are now exposed to the elements. One of the 'earmolds' hearing protection devices can block all external assaults on the inner ear...make you more comfortable for a few weeks.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:18   #4
CoLawman
Area Commander

......and no lifting weights or stenuous activity!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:43   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon
your doc is right on....time will heal it...give it 4-6 weeks to be completely healed. Just out of curiosity, how did you do it..if it can be discussed.(no op-sec issues)
I perforated one age 15...acute pain with wind/sound since the 3 little bones are now exposed to the elements. One of the 'earmolds' hearing protection devices can block all external assaults on the inner ear...make you more comfortable for a few weeks.

ss
SS,
Nothing I have done in my life falls under the category of Op-sec.

Not real certain as to exactly when it happened, the problem was brought to my attention when I went off of a dock into about 12-15 feet of water after my cell phone. Squeaking noises, intense pain, trickling water noises and loss of equillibrium. Good times.

I recently had a severe sinus infection and the current theory is that during the course of that infection, while trying to clear my head or blow my nose, I probably blew out my ear drum, and had not noticed until now. I was told that it should begin to heal in 7-10 days.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01   #6
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

When I first started Skin Diving in the '50's we used to have a lot of spear fishing contests in waters 30 to 40 ft deep. (No SCUBA.) We used dry suits at the time that had no valves, or way to put air into or out of the suit. I blew my ear drums a number of times both in & out!

Doctors would check my ears and tell me that my 'drums were covered with scar tissue! I have a hearing loss; however, I think that it was caused more by combat in Korea, military service and in the many years of Police service prior to 'muffs and other ear protection.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

What Doc said! The cell phone probably wasn't worth it. (Does it still work?) Keep it (the ear) dry, avoid pressure changes (FLYING), and wait it out. It'll be sensitive for a while. I've seen a lot of them in the diving community. Avoid them in the future by staying out of the water if you have congestion. If you have to use a decongestant go with a long duration timed release and take it several hours before the diving activity. Avoid Afrin or similar when diving, it has a rebound effect and can be "addictive". Always valsalvo (clear your ears) before begining a descent, if you can't do it on the surface you WILL NOT be able to do it underwater. (And blowing bubbles out your ear is not cool - even if you are a junior frogman trying to impress your buddies. ) Get well soon - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10   #8
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
superglue.
Over duct tape? I cry heresy, Harsey!
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 13:02   #9
Kyobanim

Quote:
Squeaking noises, intense pain, trickling water noises and loss of equillibrium
I had that with my first wife. Are you sure you're not married?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 13:25   #10
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
I had that with my first wife. Are you sure you're not married?
Relatively sure, I'll investigate further and report back.

Upon closer inspection, I found my wallet to be intact, leading me to believe that I am NOT, repeat NOT married.

Good thing you brought it to my attention though.
Old 05-02-2006, 14:05   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Over duct tape? I cry heresy, Harsey!
Sorry, went high-tec on ya.

Air.177, You didn't get this injury talking on the phone to some XX did ya?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 14:09   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Where has the Scream Queen been lately?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 14:20   #13
Tuukka
Guerrilla

Had mine blown due to a kick in the head under water, looked like a drunken bastard while wandering to shore. One good thing for showering are the silicone ear plugs that will mold to your ear.
Old 05-02-2006, 14:28   #14
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sorry, went high-tec on ya.

You may be on to something there Bill.