Old 03-24-2004, 22:15   #1
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Pen Flares

I have been looking to pick up a pen flare gun and about a dozen or so pen flares. I have googled the crap out of the topic and have only come up with this.Pen flare

Does anyone have any info on these products or suggestions on a different product to go with?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I guess my first question would be what you want with them. I should think that pyrotechnics are usually illegal in your area. If you want a signal device for night a strobe light would be preferable IMHO. In daytime a mirror is the most effective. I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't seen one shine through the canopy in RVN.

The top one looks like what we had but $40 is a little steep IMHO. We had them in RVN but I don't recall ever using one.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15   #3
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
I guess my first question would be what you want with them. I should think that pyrotechnics are usually illegal in your area. If you want a signal device for night a strobe light would be preferable IMHO. In daytime a mirror is the most effective. I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't seen one shine through the canopy in RVN.

The top one looks like what we had but $40 is a little steep IMHO. We had them in RVN but I don't recall ever using one.

To shoot at the neighbors cat

J/K I already have a stobe and a signal mirror. I'm looking for the pen flares for several reasons 1. SAR once in a great while I will help out our SAR on a search. 2. Night signaling 3. Back up fire started 4. Signalling from a boat 5. Hunting and hiking 6. Back up to my strobe, and signal mirror. Basically the same reason why anyone else would want a pen flare: its a small, light, and effective signaling device.

As far as Pyro goes...the Sheriff doesn't care...provided you don't start a forest fire.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:37   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I agree with QRQ-30. Having had them I've also never used them and would no longer carry them if they were given to me for use.
A mirror is the best device to use in the daytime and at night a fire is a great signaling.

On the ocean I hope you would carry a bit bigger flare such as a flaregun. Lost at sea a pen flare just isn't going to cut it.

As a fire starter, LOL, I don't think you could list a penflare as a controlled method of starting a fire.

Ever heard of KISS?

Stick with the signal mirror, whistle and a small Bic lighter. I'm betting that's all you'll need to signal gear.

TS
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45   #5
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

These are what we carry on our Aircraft:

http://www.distress-signals.com/Mari...skyblazer.html

Here's a complete kit/w Stainless Signal Mirror & Whistle:

http://www.distress-signals.com/Mari...signalkit.html
Old 03-25-2004, 08:54   #6
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
I agree with QRQ-30. Having had them I've also never used them and would no longer carry them if they were given to me for use.
A mirror is the best device to use in the daytime and at night a fire is a great signaling.

On the ocean I hope you would carry a bit bigger flare such as a flaregun. Lost at sea a pen flare just isn't going to cut it.

As a fire starter, LOL, I don't think you could list a penflare as a controlled method of starting a fire.

Ever heard of KISS?

Stick with the signal mirror, whistle and a small Bic lighter. I'm betting that's all you'll need to signal gear.

TS
I was thinking of lakes not Oceans.

I have heard of KISS I will stick to it....thank you for the input gentlemen you saved me atleast 40 bucks.
Old 04-07-2004, 15:56   #7
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Smoking Joe.....

I'll disagree with these esteemed gentlemen.....

I use to do SAR in Washington state...the more signal gear you have the better.

When no birds are looking for you and with a lot of trees a signal mirror isn't going to do much good.

A pen flare on the other hand would be excellent.

$40 bucks for that one on the top right is an excellent price, IMHO. The boating stores are usually the only places that you can find that stuff locally, and they charge a hell of a lot more.
Old 04-07-2004, 18:47   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

" Fire being essential to manliness, Congress shall make no laws infringing on the right to keep and bear pyrotechnics."

I like it! Now, where's my Bill of Rights thread...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 19:07   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

As I think I said previously, if I hadn't seen it I may not believe it. A flashing mirror can penetrate a jungle canopy. Admitted you must first have sun but a pen-flare won't penetrate a high canopy. In daytimne a mirror will work anywhere a pen flare will. A flashing mirror in a sea of green will get your attention just as a flash from a car windshield.

Working in the low-tech time of the sixties and operating under canopy and with really screwed up maps we relied on a visual fix from an overflying aircraft at least once a day. The mirroerwas our primary and most effective instrument.

misery is optional.

Last edited by QRQ 30; 04-07-2004 at 19:10.
Old 04-07-2004, 19:29   #10
BadMuther
Guerrilla

I understand qrq30...My response was to Smoking Joe specific circumstances.....specifically SAR...

When I did Search and Rescue there were NO birds looking for the person and/or you 90% of the time.

A pen flare/smoke from a fire or even a whistle all help to locate someone in that type of situation. (No birds, only ground personnel searching.)

I can totally understand everyone's reasoning for not preffering flares for combat.....but for SAR, they work good.

I'm not knocking a mirror. But for SAR, why not carry both??

Last edited by BadMuther; 04-07-2004 at 19:33.
BadMuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 19:32   #11
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
As I think I said previously, if I hadn't seen it I may not believe it. A flashing mirror can penetrate a jungle canopy. Admitted you must first have sun but a pen-flare won't penetrate a high canopy. In daytimne a mirror will work anywhere a pen flare will. A flashing mirror in a sea of green will get your attention just as a flash from a car windshield.

Working in the low-tech time of the sixties and operating under canopy and with really screwed up maps we relied on a visual fix from an overflying aircraft at least once a day. The mirroerwas our primary and most effective instrument.
Provided the Aircraft you are trying to signal knows you are out there and is looking for your signal.

QRQ I'm not disagreeing you but in my experience people (including pilots) do not tend to always look down unless they are specifically doing a search. They tend to gaze at the horizon and there instruments. Its the natural lazy human thing to do.

Respectfully submitted.
Old 04-07-2004, 19:55   #12
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Well folks -- keep in mind I'm discussing not cussing or arguinmg.

In realituy the flash from a windshield, piece of metal or signal mirror will get your attention if it strikes your eyes. The problem would not be in seeing, but rather in interpretation. In that case a mirror may be less effective.

As for the pen flare, it is very small and very short lived. One flare may or may not be sufficient. In a word -- IMHO the pen-flare sucks.

If you want signalling devices get some that work. I believe that the original premise was that these were for use on a small body of water. Any good boating supply store sells visual signal kits which will satisfy the U.S.P.B.S. or U.S.C.G. specifications for around $40. They include a flare launching device, flares and aerial flares or star clusters.

misery is optional.

Old 04-07-2004, 23:29   #13
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Well folks -- keep in mind I'm discussing not cussing or arguinmg.
Agreed Sir.

Quote:
Orginally posted by ORQ 30
In realituy the flash from a windshield, piece of metal or signal mirror will get your attention if it strikes your eyes. The problem would not be in seeing, but rather in interpretation. In that case a mirror may be less effective.
Sir, above I was refering to the fact that unless there is an active search going on most pilots woud dismiss the flash of a mirror or like object thinking it was a piece of glass or metal that just happen to catch there eye. IMHO I THINK that with the assistance of a pen flare it may be able to better catch someones attention.

Quote:
Origanily posted by QRQ 30
As for the pen flare, it is very small and very short lived. One flare may or may not be sufficient. In a word -- IMHO the pen-flare sucks.

If you want signalling devices get some that work. I believe that the original premise was that these were for use on a small body of water. Any good boating supply store sells visual signal kits which will satisfy the U.S.P.B.S. or U.S.C.G. specifications for around $40. They include a flare launching device, flares and aerial flares or star clusters.
I also agree with you on this point that a bigger signaling device would be better but I'm looking for something that I could concievably keep in a shirt pocket.