Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-03-2004, 16:44   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Need a New Jacket

Ok, need a little help here. I'm looking for a new inclement weather jacket. I've had an SAS Goretex parka for the last 10 years and I like it, but its time to DX it, I've sewn new liners in it a couple of times and its lost its waterproofing. And it looks like it should belong to Joe Shit the Ragman.

Conditions - about 40 degrees F and raining most of the time. Moderately rough use. Needs to have a hood. Looking for something other than black this time. Maybe an OD type color.

Help a brother out with some G2.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 17:09   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Second Gen Issue Gore-Tex is very nice, currently, I think the Marines are the only ones with it.

Patagonia has some decent stuff, and as AD SF, I get a discount from them.

I REALLY like the fleece SPEAR jackets, and they are relatively inexpensive. You can get them with, or without Windstopper.

Personally, I would get the new PCU parka and wear a SPEAR fleece jacket underneath.

mm has a page on the PCU:

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/gear.1.html

HTH

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 17:17   #3
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

My wife found some great Columbia Sportswear Jackets that are waterproof and have a zip on hood & zip in fleece lining. They are made for skiing and when the liner is out they are not hot and really do keep the water out. She found them after-season-sale at Pennies Outlet Mall for under $40.00. I wore mine 4-wheeling several times through the brush, and it is quite durable ripstop weave. Would you want me to take a look over there ?? I'll try and get a pic of mine if you're interested.

Later
Martin
Old 06-03-2004, 17:19   #4
Maple Flag
Auxiliary

Sounds like your original jacket fit the bill. Why not just get a replacement waterproof breathable smock in OD from a company like Arktis?

A W/B no frills jacket can also be had to wear under BDU's eliminating noise and shine somewhat, if this is a factor for you.
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 18:10   #5
militarymoron
Guerrilla

hey NDD,
i really like the PCU soft shell jacket, but i'd hesitate to use in anything but 'occasional' inclement weather, because it's not waterproof, just water resistant (lacking taped seams). if it's heavy rain you're going to see, water will eventually find its way through the seams.
the nextec nylon fabric *might* not be hard-wearing enough for rough use - the PCU could use double layers on the elbows. time will tell - mine's held up fine but a couple of people in industry have brought up some issues with durability.
i'd go with reaper's first recommendation and layer a SPEAR jacket or lightweight fleece top under a gen II goretex parka.
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 19:12   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Where does one get this SPEAR jacket?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-03-2004, 19:39   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You can buy them commercially or I can look for one here locally.

Usually less than $70, same black fleece jacket you see in the OEF pictures.

At 40 degrees, I guarantee that you will love it.

GEN Franks and the boyz seem to be enjoying theirs in this pic.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hfrankssf2.jpg (74.9 KB, 538 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-03-2004, 19:50   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

That's waterproof? If so I like it.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-03-2004, 19:55   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
That's waterproof? If so I like it.
Negative, that one is fleece, in no way waterproof or wind resistant. Discovered that on a motorcycle one night. There is a windstopper version that I also have with a hood and wristovers. Also not really waterproof, but better than the first.

The issue Goretex has no liner, and requires insulation if it is cold and wet.

They would be outer garments if it is cold and dry, liners in a goretex shell, should it be cold and wet, or could be left behind if it is warm and wet.

Sorry for the confusion.

TR

Old 06-03-2004, 20:00   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Roger, the confusion was mine. Is the goretex available there?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-03-2004, 20:14   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Only First Gen, and usually in BDU. Still a good jacket, if you don't mind camo. Occasionally may see one in DCU.

Used start at about $70, run up to $125 or so new. Typically lots of small sizes, slimmer pickings in L and XL.

Marines could probably get you a 2nd Gen.

TR

Old 06-03-2004, 20:19   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the USMC version of the SPEAR fleece jacket is better than the SOF version, as the USMC version has adjustable cuffs and an adjustable shockcorded hem, where the SOF version has permanently sewn elastic on both, so you can't vent out the cuffs or bottom very well. I know, I know...I'll go put on the scarlet 'H' for heretic now.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 20:27   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
As much as it pains me to say it, I think the USMC version of the SPEAR fleece jacket is better than the SOF version, as the USMC version has adjustable cuffs and an adjustable shockcorded hem, where the SOF version has permanently sewn elastic on both, so you can't vent out the cuffs or bottom very well. I know, I know...I'll go put on the scarlet 'H' for heretic now.
The ones we were issued have both.

Whaddaya know, I are a jarhead!

Semper Fi!

TR

Old 06-03-2004, 20:40   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

Naw, you're far too literate (just kidding, Marines).

NDD, got a question for you. Does the shell need to be breathable? I ask, as I feel that Gore-Tex and similar membranes don't work very well unless there's a significant difference between the ambient temp/relative humidity and the temp/RH inside the jacket. In your locale with its rather mild temps and high RH, would a warm fleece jacket or soft shell, with a lightweight, waterproof, non-breathable shell to put on when it starts to really rain be a better solution? Never spent any time down south, so this is more a question than suggestion.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 21:01   #15
Footmobile
Guerrilla

Might I suggest this little gem?

Arcteryx Sidewinder

I work part time in an outdoor shop here in SB to fund my college drinking habit, and I do declare that this jacket here is the cat's ass....

Arcteryx is expensive, but it's one of those lifetime purchases, like a Kifaru or a Wilson .45, that'll last a life time and perform like no other...

And it comes in a nice OD shade which they call Pine.
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote