Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-19-2015, 08:38   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The Donald, on the draft and McCain.

1st,, I'm not defending The Donald,,

The Draft,, as I remember it:

There is a bunch of shiite going around about The Donald and his draft deferments.. Well I was drafted in March 68 so I think I can add some content, you might not like...

Class 2-S student deferments were freebees to anyone that registered in college. It lapsed at the end of the semester and you needed to reapply when you registered for the next semester. Probably EVERYONE of my HS male class had a 2S at one time or the other.

Also,, the medical deferment?? The 1-Y classification "Registrant available for military service, but qualified for military only in the event of war or national emergency" came a month after Trump underwent an “Armed Forces Physical Examination” No idea what it was for, but as stated the deferment was issued by the draft board AFTER they did the exam.

In Oct 68, 50K kids a month were being drafted.. A 1Y was not a common rating because you needed a doctor to agree. More often than not, "draft dodgers" went for the "conscientious objector, IV-W", IIIA - married with kids, or went to Canada.

Here is a list of the draft board codes: http://www.calledtoservevietnam.com/...e-vietnam-war/

On McCain:

For those that think The Donald is bad mouthing McCain with lies.. IF you look around there are McCain problems:

1)He has had a lingering problem with his POW internment and his personal actions while in prison. He was tortured repeatedly, so he deserves some slack, but like Kerry, there are those that, to this day do not like what he did. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS VIDEO IS VERIFIABLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hr37eE0nO8

The fact that his dad was a Navy Admiral does not help. Many peers think he was given preferential treatment..

2)McCain supported Kerry AGAINST the Swift Boat effort.. For this, I give him much scorn.. McCain currently is not an admirer of Kerry because of the Iranian deal, but nobody with 1/2 a brain does..

Be Informed..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Yeah, JJ, I agree. On the 'war hero' comment by DT, the word "hero" is the most over used adjective in the English language or maybe second only to 'awesome'.

McCain was captured. In my book that does not qualify as heroic. Unfortunate maybe, but not heroic.

We all can identify true acts of heroism. McCain just doesn't rise to that level IMO. {I am mistaken in these statements, see PRB in post #10 below}

Last edited by Trapper John; 07-19-2015 at 15:09. Reason: Corrected error in my thinking
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20   #3
Sigaba
Area Commander

FWIW, across the street, in an active thread on this topic, a retired Tornado driver offers his professional take on McCain's conduct as an aviator (post #16).

MOO, McCain's decision to decline repatriation in 1968 should be kept in mind when discussing his time as a POW. YMMV.

IMO, this controversy is a trap.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:28   #4
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post

IMO, this controversy is a trap.
Agreed, and I am not a fan John McCain.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:20   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
IMO, where Trump is wrong is two-fold:

1) It wasn't McCain's being captured that makes him get labeled a hero but rather the acts he took after having been captured, such as declining repatriation as Sigaba mentioned.

2) Trump's off-handed comment that he likes people who aren't captured. That would then be an insult to Michael Durant, Marcus Luttrell, etc...along with many other veterans, and could be extended, as mentioned in the POTUS thread, to people who are shot, step on an IED, etc...what bugs me is he only backtracked on this, but hasn't apologized for it.
Good points!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:59   #6
tonyz
Area Commander

Trump screws with the left and draws out some issues that occasionally smokes out some Republicans with weaker spines and stomachs to comment instead of hide. His presence in a debate might make for interesting discussion.

Trump was wrong on this and I don't like McCain.

Trump does not appear to be presidential material - if he ever was.

Damn good self-promoter though and that appears necessary for political office.

Agree that a Trump/McCain argument is at best a loser.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 13:01   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Did he say

Did he say what the press tells us he said?

Of if taken in context it doesn't seem to say what the press said he said?

"Washington Post Smeared Donald Trump; Misrepresented His Comments on John McCain"

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015...n-john-mccain/

"...2. When a panelist characterized McCain as a “war hero,” the Post is accurate in reporting that Trump initially said McCain is “not a war hero.” But then, Trump immediately modified his statement saying– four times– that McCain is a war hero:

“He is a war hero.”

“He’s a war hero because he was captured.”

“He’s a war hero, because he was captured.”

“I believe, perhaps, he’s a war hero. But right now, he’s said some very bad things about a lot of people.”..."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 13:17   #8
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Did he say what the press tells us he said?

Of if taken in context it doesn't seem to say what the press said he said?

"Washington Post Smeared Donald Trump; Misrepresented His Comments on John McCain"

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015...n-john-mccain/

"...2. When a panelist characterized McCain as a “war hero,” the Post is accurate in reporting that Trump initially said McCain is “not a war hero.” But then, Trump immediately modified his statement saying– four times– that McCain is a war hero:

“He is a war hero.”

“He’s a war hero because he was captured.”

“He’s a war hero, because he was captured.”

“I believe, perhaps, he’s a war hero. But right now, he’s said some very bad things about a lot of people.”..."
MOO, this additional information make things worse for Mr. Trump.

He's getting acclaim for "telling it like it is" but now we see the man reversing himself. Which view reflects his personal beliefs versus his "politically correct" POV? Does his understanding of McCain's heroism track with what happened?

He wants to be the American president and has shown he can get baited by a panelist into saying something he automatically retracts. What happens during a debate a Democratic candidate who is deliberately trolling him? What happens when the panel consists of Putin, Xi Jinping, and others trying to gain leverage?
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 15:02   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
IMO, where Trump is wrong is two-fold:

1) It wasn't McCain's being captured that makes him get labeled a hero but rather the acts he took after having been captured, such as declining repatriation as Sigaba mentioned.

2) Trump's off-handed comment that he likes people who aren't captured. That would then be an insult to Michael Durant, Marcus Luttrell, etc...along with many other veterans, and could be extended, as mentioned in the POTUS thread, to people who are shot, step on an IED, etc...what bugs me is he only backtracked on this, but hasn't apologized for it.
McCain refused to be traded out of captivity when his Dad was CINCPAC...he did not think that right. That decision is heroic.

Not a McCain fan politically but DT stepped on his very arrogant crank.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 15:06   #10
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
McCain refused to be traded out of captivity when his Dad was CINCPAC...he did not think that right. That decision is heroic.

You are correct and I stand corrected! Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 15:53   #11
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

McCain is an ass and is the consummate political tool but DT is also an Ass and stepped over the line.

McCain has issues but DT should apologize in my opinion.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 16:11   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
You are correct and I stand corrected! Thanks
I do agree tho that simply being a pw is not heroic.

My problem with the Bataan Death March 'celebration/road march' each year.

Commemorating the biggest surrender of American Men at arms in our history.

It should be the Col. Volckmann Memorial March.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_W._Volckmann

Those that surrendered are honored, those that chose to hide out an resist are forgotten.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:43   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Who said??

Quote:
He a war hero.
He a war hero.
He a war hero that got captured.
There’s a lot of guys in jail that got captured.
I don’t want to vote for nobody that got captured.
I want to vote for the motherf**ker that got away.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLK55ToScRg#t=212

I'm getting old and forgetful,,
but I don't remember any apologies??

Maybe I miss the Brian Williams HBO/BHO Special??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW_baghad-bob-brian-williams.jpg (49.9 KB, 35 views)

Old 07-20-2015, 05:51   #14
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post

I don't know the details here, but how does one, as a POW refuse the wishes of your jailers? Surely he would have had no choice if the Vietcong wanted to repatriate him?
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:56   #15
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

And for heroism??

Who was the VN era fighter pilot that single handedly tried to
saved/sink a US Navy Aircraft Carrier??

http://rockcreekfreepress.tumblr.com...ccains-records

Quote:

WMR has been informed that crewmen aboard the Forrestal have provided additional information about the Forrestal incident. It is believed by many crewmen and those who have investigated the case that McCain deliberately “wet-started” his A-4E to shake up the guy in the plane behind his A-4. “Wet-starts”, done either deliberately or accidentally, shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft.

In McCain’s case, the “wet-start” apparently “cooked off” and launched the Zuni rocket from the rear F-4 that touched off the explosions and massive fire. The F-4 pilot was reportedly killed in the conflagration. “Wet starting” was apparently a common practice among young “hot-dog” pilots.

McCain was quickly transferred to the USS Oriskany (the only Forrestal crewman to be immediately transferred). Three months later, McCain was shot down over North Vietnam on October 26, 1967.

As WMR previously reported, at the time of the Forrestal disaster, McCain’s father, Admiral John McCain, Jr., was Commander-in-Chief of US Naval Forces Europe (CINCUSNAVEUR) and was busy covering up the details of the deadly and pre-meditated June 8, 1967, Israeli attack on the NSA spy ship, the USS Liberty.
McCain has baggage,, a lot more than most...