Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 01-10-2006, 10:28   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Just got my hands on a SureFire helmet light.

Very sweet!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 14:26   #17
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

TR: Standing by for your report.
haztacmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The SureFire helmet light is now in production and should be available for sale shortly.

All of the previous descrptions are accurate, the execution is better than I anticipated. The secondary lights are currently blue on the initial production models, rumors are that anyone buying a sufficient quantity could obtain Red, Green, or IR. There is no permanent modification to the helmet, the mount attaches securely and is easily installed or removed. The light portion snaps off in less time than it takes to read this to leave the conformal mount attached, the light is fully usable by hand when detached.

This light is designed for working at arms length, not lighting people up two ridgelines over. There are three white LEDs with three intensity levels, and two blue LEDs, also with three intensity settings. The unit runs for 60-100 hours on a single SF 123 battery. The flashing IR strobe on the side is very handy for SA and Blue Force tracking with NODs.

The details have already been posted, pics follow.

Enjoy.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0022 (Medium).JPG (113.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0015 (Medium).JPG (60.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0003 (Medium).JPG (47.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0004 (Medium).JPG (47.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0013 (Medium).JPG (73.9 KB, 72 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 01-13-2006, 11:39   #19
Kyobanim

That Surefire is one slick attachment.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:43   #20
jbour13
Area Commander

Thanks for the pics TR.

Hot little item, looks like another thing I don't really need but somehow must have for the next trip into the sandbox.

Any forseeable problems of it getting kicked off the helmet if it snags on a doorframe or other hard surface. Looks pretty solid and I'm a believer in Surefire products, just want to make sure. If that's the case is there a way to dummy cord it to the helmet?

Looks good, just don't look at your gunship support with it on.

To add: If you've recently entertained the thought of buying Digilight products to cure the Surefire itch, Don't!

I had a co-worker (part-time job, not military) purchase one as a weapons mounted light and it lasted 34 rounds of 5.56 before the bulb went out. It's not designed with shock absorbtion in mind. We carry some in the store and they are (my opinion) good for a truck light or house use, but will not withstand use on a weapons system or a small child's inquisitiveness. You get what you pay for. The T-12 model is 227 lumens, but when you hit the tailcap it'll dim out and come back to full power, and repeat that until you shut it off. It doesn't have the capacity to keep the wattage up consistently.

Spend the pennies on a Surefire, and save your keester later!
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:52   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

jbour:

I think that it is pretty secure, I would only take it off for a jump, since the risers would come past it pretty quickly.

That said, I suspect that you could dummy cord it to the mount, but I do not like dummy cords on things fastened to my head.

Digilight and Pentagon, to name two, consistently overrate the output and run time of their products. You cannot make the amount of light they claim, from the power supply they use, for that length of time.

All weapons lights are subject to recoil related failure, but SureFire develops shock isolated products for that reason and maintains the highest quality standards, backed by the best warranty in the business.

Is the T-12 incandescent or LED?

TR

Old 01-13-2006, 13:11   #22
jbour13
Area Commander

It's an incandescent lamp assembly.

I'll take the camera to work tonight and snap some photo's of a stripped one.

I have yet to see a Surefire go down like that. I have burnt out the bulbs on my centurion, but that gets used alot on Fridays for shooting drills.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:50   #23
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

TR: Thanks for the report and Pics.
haztacmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 23:48   #24
helicom6
Asset

Helmet Lights for Medics

Hello good men,

I see the original post was about the best lights for medics. If I may, I would like to make a few suggestions...after my own use of helmet light systems that are mil-spec, and the light systems I have used and still use for civilian use for night climbing in the Rocky Mountains, 24 hour Mountain Bike races, and just about every use under the sun these days, I highly suggest Serfas and Nite Rider. I have a new Serfas LED light system that at full charge lights to 1500 Lumens. The battery is an extremely lightweight Lithium Ion battery that can be easily stored in your kit. There is a wire that disconnects at different intervals to give you a more desired length, as needed. This light has performed flawlessly for me in different environments, including rain and hail, not to mention many night rides on dirt trails to back country dusty dirt roads...Sorry if this sounds like a commercial plug; it isn't!

My previous Nite Rider system with HID lasted me about 6 years and traveled with me to 24 hour events in Colorado and Moab. I loved it, but the new system is much better...800 vs 1500...you do the math!!

Anyway, I just thought I would put that out there as an option...Hope all of you in distant places are well and staying safe!!

Cheers!

Last edited by helicom6; 06-23-2014 at 23:50.
helicom6 is offline   Reply With Quote